WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default section hike MA/CT

Planning a shakedown hike for mid March, any recommendations on a trailhead for a 5-7 day section hike?

I would suggest you get the trail guide for MA/CT along with the maps and see what works for you based on elevation, mileage, trail access etc.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I would suggest you wait until a better time of year.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I hike all around CT in late winter/early spring and the trails are fine. Is nobody supposed to hike anywhere that time of year because of a little mud? … it's not that bad and your not ruining the trail. A little care goes a long way to.
    I'll be doing a 8 day hike in April northbound starting at the NY train station to as far as I get. Does anybody know when that bridge in Falls Village opens? … There's a detour when it's closed but I imagine it's open mid April.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

As to where to start, depends on how you get there. No public transportation to speak of for the most part. There is bus service to Williamstown, MA at the MA/VT line. I believe it's an evening bus from Boston.

If you drive, then any road crossing will do, there's plenty to choose from. The only issue maybe finding a shuttle back to the car. Although, being from RI, maybe you know someone who can drop you off or come get you.

It's hard to predict how far you'll get in 5-7 days, given the uncertain weather and trail conditions. Which will likely be miserable. Be ready to be cold and wet. Have fun.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 03-01-2020 at 18:57.

oh my bad your just recommending against because of the likely cold and wet weather, worse then snow in winter when it's cold but just warm enough to not be snow.... I thought you were saying people shouldn't hike that time of year cause of mud and damaging trails and what not... goes to show what happens when you assume.

You never know the way this winter has been so far around here!
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Weather is the wild card. It can't quite make up it's mind yet.

It does looks like it will be an early mud season this year, so yea, you won't be doing the trail any favors. MA has some real swampy areas which could be flooded. If not snow, there will likely be ice in Sage Ravine.

Park at Hoyt Road (near NY 55) and hike up to Jug End Road. Good for 5-7 day hike. Great view from Riga Shelter and Sages Ravine has good camping.
    or Hoyt Road to Pawling train station.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    As to where to start, depends on how you get there. No public transportation to speak of for the most part. There is bus service to Williamstown, MA at the MA/VT line. I believe it's an evening bus from Boston.
    Pittsfield MA also has bus and train service as a stop on routes between Albany NY and Boston (not a lot on the train service, though). There are also some local bus routes that run throughout many parts of the Berkshires that may help out to get you from other areas (where the Trail crosses main roadways, obviously) to or from Pittsfield or Williamstown to get one of the longer distance services if needed.
    berkshirerta . com is the site for the local bus services - distances would be Amtrak or the usual buses like Greyhound or Peter Pan lines.

I tried to figure out the Berkshire's bus system and how to link them together and gave up. If you get off at Pittsfield, your some distance from the trail. From Williamstown, your in walking distance.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mouser999 View Post
    Park at Hoyt Road (near NY 55) and hike up to Jug End Road. Good for 5-7 day hike. Great view from Riga Shelter and Sages Ravine has good camping.
    or Hoyt Road to Pawling train station.
    I like this kinda.......it will be very difficult to get to Jug End without a ride though. I think A start in Salisbury, south to Pawling or head south to Bear Mtn. Public Transportation at both ends.

the bridge was replaced a few years ago and do not believe it ever closes. I went over it in '16 and there was no notice if any closing times

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I tried to figure out the Berkshire's bus system and how to link them together and gave up. If you get off at Pittsfield, your some distance from the trail. From Williamstown, your in walking distance.
    Does seem confusing, but probably the easiest two access points from Pittsfield would be either Dalton (one bus goes there directly from the Transit Center) or Cheshire (Another bus from the center goes up Route 8, which the trail crosses near Cheshire, south of Greylock).

Getting to the North Adams crossing on 2 would require 3 buses (from Pittsfield), or being in town very early (looks like the buses that serve North Adams and Williamstown have to drive up there each day from Pittsfield in the AM, and would take passengers along, but that would be a 5-6am departure - might be easier if you wound up in that area to catch one heading back to the garage in the evening).

Further south, the buses wouldn't work directly but provide a couple options with a short ride. One route runs to Lee, where it's a short ride out US 20 to the trail (south of October Mtn.) and then also connects to a bus that goes to Great Barrington with stops at Price Chopper (short trip out 23 to the trail by Tom Leonard) and Big Y (not too long a trip down US 7 to the trail crossing there).

None of those last ones is ideal, but they are possibilities if nothing else works out.

++ New Posts ++