WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

As of right now, Sierra still has Mountain House in stock, and several flavors are on sale.

We stocked up on non-perishable food items at the grocery store last night. Stuff we normally buy anyway, but just to have an extra reserve of it on hand...in case. People buying the expensive freeze-dried foods really playing the long game! Cereal, pasta, rice etc...will do the trick just fine at home. We also have freezers to store meat.
    It is what it is.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by V Eight View Post
    Hawk Vittles and some of the other lesser known mom & pop should still have
    some. I did order several from Hawk last week.
    Here are some links, not saying they will have anything, but it should be worth a shot. All of theses are way better than MH.
    http://hawkvittles.com
    https://goodto-go.com
    https://trailtopia.com/
    Thanks for putting these in one place... I've had some of the G2G, delicious (I put cashews in the thai)
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Knorr pasta sides and a pack of chicken or tuna are my new go to instead of MH meals. They are a fraction of the cost and I think the volume of food is just right. Just enough to still have some room for desert or a Snickers bar. MH meals leave you so full you can't eat anything else, and I like a little variety in my dinner.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mountain+house

There are lots of Mountain House listings on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon>0 View Post
    There are lots of Mountain House listings on Amazon.
    First four I clicked on said “Usually ships within 1-2 months”

Went to my local outfitter Tuesday morning and they were closed all last week for vacation. Of course they were fully stocked with packs and bulk cans. I warned the owner to prepare for a rush on her stock. Either increase her prices to profit off of hoarders, limit quantities so she has stock for her regulars, or limit to one M. H. per $xx purchase of other stock.

Probably be back in a couple of weeks so will be interesting to see what happens. My impression is some hoarder checks all locations with stock in a particular city and buys them out. Then the hoarder sells at a marked up price on the internet.

Images

Well, if you can't get Mountain House, Coronavirus did you a favor... that stuff is toxic garbage!

There are so many other and far better options out there.

I'm curious why someone stocking up for the corona Apocalypse would choose dehydrated backpacking meals? When weight is not the concern, it seems like a poor choice. My grandmother could survive for 2 years on just her canning. Damn, now I'm hungry for venison over rice, lol

Images

I was at the North Raleigh REI yesterday (3/4) and they were well stock with 3 or for brands.
    So, maybe the shortages might be a regional thing.
    ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_) ()_)--o-)_)

The Outside article said MH was prioritizing stocking its retail partners. I think it stopped its direct consumer store/shipments.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Ramen Pride
    Always and forever

We are overstocked with freeze-dried foods (all REI-related brands) at my store in DC

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    So, I'm getting ready to head out to the PCT in five weeks for a LASH. As I do every year, I get on Amazon to order Mountain House freeze dried meals. Surprise! They don't even list most of the MH meals on their website at this time. Okay, I'm sure Emergency Essentials has them. Wrong! And yes I tried the Mountain House website. They are out of almost everything and aren't taking orders or answering questions. In fact, I found out they shut down their website for a while because the orders were coming in too fast. So why is this happening? Coronavirus. This reminds me of Y2K when everyone was predicting the sky would fall.

So if you were planning on MH meals for your hike or probably any commercial freeze dried meals - forget it at least for now. Me? I'm stocking up on Snickers and M&M peanuts.

Check out this article.

No Freeze Dried Meals
    I've been to two REI stores in the last few days, both are completely stocked up with the usual brands; MH, GTG, BP and AA.

It's the same up here in NH. No problem at all getting freeze dried food.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I've been to two REI stores in the last few days, both are completely stocked up with the usual brands; MH, GTG, BP and AA.
    You're lucky. There are no REI stores in west central Florida where I live. The closest one is in the Orlando area, which is 100 miles away. That's about a two to three hour drive, because I would have to go past the attractions area - wall to wall traffic this time of year.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Journal Entries

Im sorry there is no MH. How does MH help with any flu? My walmart did not even have green beans? Do they have a magical property to prevent or cure any flu? What am I missing. My prepare and prevent the flu plan does not look like this.

You are trying to apply logic to an irrational response to something most people are clueless about. Some folks seem to confuse CV-19 with a zombie apocalypse.Too much Walking Dead is my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    You are trying to apply logic to an irrational response to something most people are clueless about. Some folks seem to confuse CV-19 with a zombie apocalypse.Too much Walking Dead is my guess.
    Yeah, I’m getting the Oh My God A Hurricane Is Coming!!! Vibe. people aren’t thinking, just grabbing stuff off the shelf. Disheartening. Remember that half of all people are below average intelligence. Remember people get scared of things they don’t understand. Remember people go tribal and hole up with immediate family to protect them from perceived danger. Remember in Florida at least people carry firearms and stand their ground. These facts have me more afraid than the actual virus. I wish I could be out in the woods this season ... safer, but I would skip trail days.
    Stay safe, give strangers lots of space but remain cordial. That’s my plan.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    ramen pride
    word!!!!!!
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    First four I clicked on said “Usually ships within 1-2 months”

Went to my local outfitter Tuesday morning and they were closed all last week for vacation. Of course they were fully stocked with packs and bulk cans. I warned the owner to prepare for a rush on her stock. Either increase her prices to profit off of hoarders, limit quantities so she has stock for her regulars, or limit to one M. H. per $xx purchase of other stock.

Probably be back in a couple of weeks so will be interesting to see what happens. My impression is some hoarder checks all locations with stock in a particular city and buys them out. Then the hoarder sells at a marked up price on the internet.
    AHHH..... Love Earth Adventures Unlimited store in the "FORT"
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++