WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I don't think that we should worry much about Covid-19. Last night in an interview with Sean Hannity on Fox News, President Trump said that the 3-4% mortality rate is a false number, and that it's really a fraction of 1%. He also said that hundreds of thousands of people infected with covid-19 get better just by sitting around or going to work. So based on this, it seems that everything is ok.
    Based on his avatar, I think it's safe to assume that was sarcasm, folks.
    Last edited by Slugg; 03-06-2020 at 16:38.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

Here's some historical info on health crises we have all survived-NOTE,source is ABC news.
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/coronaviru...ry?id=69329364

O.K., European perspective here, but it is alarming...

The data from Italy today is shocking. 1,200+ new cases in the last 24 hrs. There is talk of locking down the north of the country, with 15 million people.
    (trailname: Paul-from-Scotland)

Especially on the trail it will be far more dangerous to poop and not wash your hands than that virus. I know I’m generalizing but given our hobby it’s safe to assume that most of us are in above average shape and that alone gives us a much better chance of survival than a poor 80 year old in a nursing home.

Quote Originally Posted by FromNH View Post
    Especially on the trail it will be far more dangerous to poop and not wash your hands than that virus. I know I’m generalizing but given our hobby it’s safe to assume that most of us are in above average shape and that alone gives us a much better chance of survival than a poor 80 year old in a nursing home.
    +1 CoVid-19 could have a bigger impact on Trail Days / May 15-17 / than hiking in general.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

Quote Originally Posted by futureatwalker View Post
    O.K., European perspective here, but it is alarming...

The data from Italy today is shocking. 1,200+ new cases in the last 24 hrs. There is talk of locking down the north of the country, with 15 million people.
    From a Reuters item on the situation there:

"National Health Institute chief Silvio Brusaferro said the average age of patients who have died was over 81. They were prevalently male and more than 80% had more than two underlying health conditions."

My concern isn’t about getting sick and surviving, it’s about getting sick and spreading the virus to those who are most vulnerable. It doesn’t matter how fit a person is, if they are sick even mildly, they need to stay home. People who are preparing for extended stays at home are smart.

Default How will coronavirus affect hiking this year?

It’s not the plague. Thru hikers have strong lung apparatus. I’ve gotten the norovivrus on one hike.
    Expense goes up when incapacitated. I bet smoking rolling tobacco helps, that and fist bumps. With high employment and virus hysteria looks to be a good year for loner types. Early shelters nice and quiet, an oasis in the woods even if you tent.

I’m heading to the south of England for the month of May. … I hope …

If the Italian experience counts for anything, I wonder whether England will fare any better?

It’s been only weeks since Covid-19 was found in Italy. Now its government is about to put serious and significant lockdowns on northern Italy. Not quite China-strict, but certainly worth reading up on.

China may be passing through the peak of its original epidemic. That’s taken more than two months to appear, build, perhaps now peak — and then how long to fade away? …

So will Italy be locked down for the month they’re proposing? Or longer in reality?

What will happen in the UK? They’ve gone through serious public health cuts and are facing more. Will the Covid-19 epidemic be peaking in May? Will I be able to get medical treatment if I succumb? Will I be able to get out of the country? Will I face 14 days of isolation if and when I get back here to Canada?

For that matter, how will my Canada do? So far, we’ve done remarkably well, especially with our relatively close ties to China and other affected countries. Here’s hoping our decent state of preparedness and our public health system works well …

More worrisome, how will the US do, given its shocking lack of preparedness? Anyone here from
    Washington State? How are the numbers progressing there?

I have to say, I am not overly concerned. Pathogens (virus) are key to our evolution, this is nothing new for humans. There is no comfort zone in which we exist, we are challenged biologically to survive. Just the way it is. Zika, Swine Flu, Chikungunya, Influenza, SARS, Dengue fever, Ebola we have all lived through that.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    I have to say, I am not overly concerned. Pathogens (virus) are key to our evolution, this is nothing new for humans. There is no comfort zone in which we exist, we are challenged biologically to survive. Just the way it is. Zika, Swine Flu, Chikungunya, Influenza, SARS, Dengue fever, Ebola we have all lived through that.
    Is this sarcasm or ignorance? This new virus will kill far more than the ones you listed. Why would you compare this to Ebola, for example? Ebola is far less contagious, and for that reason is not nearly as deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by couscous View Post
    +1 CoVid-19 could have a bigger impact on Trail Days / May 15-17 / than hiking in general.
    Hmmm! That’s near my new ‘HOOD.
    I think that I will stay at home that weekend.
    Be safe Y’all!
    Wayne

I'd much rather be in any one of the worst shelters on trail than roaming the Wally world here by AT&T (cowboys) stadium.

This type of thing only reinforces my innate desire to get some space. Remains to be seen how this might affect our AT hiker season...but I'd rather find out...out there.

Anyone know where I can get some N95 masks and sanitizer? I kid, I kid. As Wayne the Tex-pat says, "be safe, y'all".

Had been in the Sinai desert recently for 4 weeks, and was travelling back home via Israel.
    All worked out fine.
    But Israel closed the borders for all Austrian tourists the next day.
    That had been a narrow escape! Would have had to stay in quarantaine for two more weeks...

There might be difficulties for international hikes for some months.
    Friends intend to start the Camino from right at their front door the other week, we'll see how it will work out.

As a general rule, I belive that being in the outdoors is much safer virus-wise than spending time in crowds of people.
    There was this famous Last True Hermit who lived in complete solitude in the woods for 27 years and never got sick, but simply stated that its the (crowds of) people who are carrying diseases.

I don't know the science that well, but Covid-19 and Saudi oil flooding the market are deadly to my 401K

Quote Originally Posted by AsoloBootsSuk View Post
    I don't know the science that well, but Covid-19 and Saudi oil flooding the market are deadly to my 401K
    The market will recover, and your 401k along with it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Is this sarcasm or ignorance? This new virus will kill far more than the ones you listed.
    How on earth can you make this Giant Leap????? No one has any idea yet what the impact will be.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    The market will recover, and your 401k along with it.
    Agree but if I were 64 plus, I'd be pulling out. Recovery could take a few years based on severity of Covid-19, the up coming election, etc. I plan to ride it out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AsoloBootsSuk View Post
    Or, the market is extremely overbought/ overvalued based on historic market cap to GDP ratios (as well as P/E ratios) so any little hiccup becomes magnified and there is a flight to safety (Treasuries and corporate paper). Interest rates are being manipulated to artificial lows and what should (historically) be a fiscally conservative administration is running huge deficits on that cheap borrowed money. Workers keep pouring new money into 401(k)s, and a lot of that money must be fully invested into equities by fund managers. There's a reason Buffet is sitting on billions in cash - and he isn't buying in yet. This isn't over.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I see lots of discussion about whether the virus itself will be a threat or not.

I think the much bigger concern for this season's thru-hikers will be the possibility of closed hostels and shuttle services & difficulty getting hitchhikes. The "social distancing" and quarantines that are likely to increase in coming months could cause a lot of logistical trouble.
    Last edited by fancy pants; 03-09-2020 at 18:58.

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++