WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    I found this site that maybe of interest. It is a very detailed projection of the effects of the CoVid epidemic.

Check it out.

It makes it very plain why the trail should remain closed, probably until July for the highly populated areas of the country.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america
    Of course one might also note that the trail itself doesn't go through the highly populated areas that much - perhaps some of the NY section is fairly populated and does go through some of the areas that have been more impacted by the NYC cluster, not so much for most of NJ and also not once you are into CT/MA/VT onwards that way. Not sure of any other areas to the south either, it generally stays away from the larger cities for the most part (even the end is near, but not that close to Atlanta)?

Quote Originally Posted by Rippin Reils View Post
    Well my intentions were to do a traditional thru-hike South to North starting on April 1st, just how I started on my first thru hike in 1980 40 years ago.
    However, with the pandemic of Covid - 19, that itinerary had to be changed and I have a new start date of May 30th and will be doing a "flip-flop" hike,
    starting in SNP at Big Meadows to Katahdin and then Big Meadows south to Springer Mtn.

I will be monitoring the situation and if the pandemic relinquishes it's grip on our nation, I will set sail as planned. If it doesn't well there's always next year

I am curious as to how many thru-hikers this year are changing their itineraries as well?

Happy Trails,
    "Rippin Reils"

There & Back Again
    GA- ME 1980 & SNP - ME/SNP - GA 2020
    I was also planning a NOBO starting on 24 March. I pulled the plug on the transportation & lodging just days before I was to depart. I am holding out hope that the states & NPS open up by 1 June. I am planning a Flip-Flop starting from Harper's Ferry on 1 June. Dates and locations could change depending upon the states & NPS. My f-f is dependent upon PA opening up; I'll skip over MD northbound if they are still closed to camping by 1 June and catch it on my southbound trek. That would give NJ & NY 4 more weeks to open up (1 July). The last that I saw was the ATC was waiting for the "all clear" from the CDC. I question if the CDC will issue and "all clear" in 2020. I think that we need to go on what the states and NPS are doing. If they are open, then we should go for it.

Anybody else doing a F-F?

This is the latest that I have found with respect to the expiration of "stay-at-home" orders for each state. Do you think a 1 June F-F start date will be possible?

Georgia – Stay-at-Home expires April 30
    N. Carolina – Stay-at-Home expires April 29
    Tennessee – Stay-at-Home expires April 30
    Virginia – Stay-at-Home expires June 10
    West Virginia – Stay-at-Home expires April 30/TBD
    Maryland – Stay-at-Home expires TBD
    Pennsylvania – Stay-at-Home expires May 8
    New Jersey – Stay-at-Home expires TBD
    New York – Stay-at-Home expires May 15
    Connecticut – Stay-at-Home expires May 20
    Massachusetts – Stay-at-Home expires May 4
    Vermont – Stay-at-Home expires May 15
    New Hampshire – Stay-at-Home expires May 4
    Maine - Stay-at-Home expires April 30 (Baxter opening target July 1)

All backcountry campsites on A.T. in Delaware Water Gap NRA are closed until May 22
    (4/10/20) Effective April 10, all backcountry campsites on the Appalachian Trail and on the Delaware River within Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area (in Pennsylvania and New Jersey) are closed until May 22.

Everything that I have seen for the National Park Service is “until further notice”, “indefinitely”, or similar response.

Default Any info on opening GSMNP?!

Anything?! Dying to go!

no just the same info that has been on the website for days:

Park Extends Closure to Support Regional COVID-19 Prevention Efforts

Great Smoky Mountains National Park officials announced that all park areas, except the Foothills Parkway and Spur, will remain closed until further notice. The park is likely to remain closed at least through April 30.

But the TN governor is not extending his "safer at home" order beyond May 1st. But nobody knows what the Park Service will do.

Thank you. That gives me some hope.

The gsmnp reopens May1. That's per the local news outlets in the Gatlinburg area.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by david morgan View Post
    The gsmnp reopens May1. That's per the local news outlets in the Gatlinburg area.

that date has not been confirmed for the Park to reopen....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wjh...lic-lands/amp/

Our dear President announced today that the National Parks will be ordered to reopen but offered no additional details, such as when or how social distancing guide lines will be implemented.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Best to avoid dying by going until the numbers start heading in the right direction

Images

For what it's worth National Trails Day in GSMNP for 2020 has been cancelled. It would have been on the first Saturday in June.

Also the Synchronous Firefly event for June is cancelled.

State parks in Tennessee open Friday but half of GSMNP is in North Carolina. And it borders the Qualla Boundary.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

One of the Facebook groups for GSMNP has a volunteer that has a little bit of inside information... and the only information they could give is that plans are being made on how they will reopen the park, but setting a date has not been done.

As for the "news" report that the park will open May 1st... I think that's just someone reading into the parks statement that they will be closed thru April 30th (and they just are not paying attention to the fact the statement is the minimum period, not a set time).

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Our dear President announced today that the National Parks will be ordered to reopen but offered no additional details, such as when or how social distancing guide lines will be implemented.
    Shocking.....

As states make the individual choices to open up, it seems parts of the trail, and the "Park" will also open. Sunlight and distancing - pretty good prevention methods. I live close to several state parks, and the GSMNP, if I were to day hike - I pose no risk to me or anyone else- given I follow the "current" approved methods. Yes I'm sure some will disagree, please do, and have a cracker.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

A ranger friend told me that Carlsbad Caverns and Yosemite will be opening May 24 along with a number of other parks. Superintendents will determine what precautions to take for their own parks. So if May 1 is opening date for GRSM, look for a posting by that park on or before May 1 as to what limitations will be put in place there, if any.
    Be Prepared

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brimflop View Post
    ...Yes I'm sure some will disagree, please do, and have a cracker.
    ^Stealing this! LOL

Last weekend we explored in Cherokee NF near Greeneville TN. Hiked to a nice waterfall. It was nice to get out for a change, and visit new places, but I'm really looking forward to getting back to the Smokies soon.

Images

I've been watching the GSMNP site because my son wants to do a hike for his birthday. Through yesterday it said closed at least until 30 April.

Now it's until further notice.

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

That sucks.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

I saw the same thing. Huge bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by greentick View Post
    I've been watching the GSMNP site because my son wants to do a hike for his birthday. Through yesterday it said closed at least until 30 April.

Now it's until further notice.

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

That sucks.
    So, go someplace else. I like the section between Davenport and Hot Springs better anyway.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

A bunch of the major trailheads got closed indefinitely today. Its hit or miss.

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++