WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Booker View Post
    I am a section hiker and was planning to finish the NH portion of the AT in early summer. Now the huts are closed and I know it can be dangerous/exposed to stealth camp - one isn’t supposed to. There are few shelters. I’m so bummed! Thoughts about AT hiking during this virus period?
    Franconia to Pinkham will be the challenging sections without hut support. No AMC shuttle will really hurt.

The Long Trail could be crazy busy this summer. It's becoming real popular already and many might see it as a good alternative. Maine might be a better bet. A bit less traffic up there. Personally, I'm staying away from the AT this year. Lots of other places to go.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Hum, was wondering about that. They bring crew in from all over and I can see that could be a problem. Just getting the campsites staffed will likely stretch them thin. Puts a whole new wrinkel in the 2020 White mountain traverse.

While it's nice to camp in the woods, most of the traffic is peak-bagging-day hikers, so I don't think there will be a big impact on numbers. Just not as many from "away".

Fwiw——all of my posts today in here are talking about Smoky NP.

looks like a thread might have been merged into this one hence why my
    posts don’t make as much sense outta context.....

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    Fwiw——all of my posts today in here are talking about Smoky NP.

looks like a thread might have been merged into this one hence why my
    posts don’t make as much sense outta context.....
    Yea, we have White Mountain and Smokie mountain threads intertwined.

Just read in my news feed the virus is making it's way into rural communities now. Won't be long before AT towns are hot spots. Let the carnage begin...

Wish you all the best!

There are signs that being outdoors exposed to the sun a lot seems to help to pass an infection without or with only mild symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    Wish you all the best!

There are signs that being outdoors exposed to the sun a lot seems to help to pass an infection without or with only mild symptoms.
    You might need to edit this post as it makes no sense.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Default AMC Keeping White Mountain Huts Closed for 2020 & List of Closedd WM Trailheads

AMC has announced that the White Mountain huts will not open this year. The article at the below link has some other closure info in the White Mountains.

AMC Hut and Trailhead Closures
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Sorry for my poor English.

Up to our European experience, there is not much that can be done to avoid above mentioned "carnage".
    - stay at home and keep your distance
    - wearing a mask when close to others
    - expose yourself to the sun in order that your body can generate Vitamin D which in turn can help to fight infections (this is not an official recommendation, but a more informal observation)

Default Update from ATC 5-1-20

In March 2020, the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) advised all visitors and volunteers to stay away from the Appalachian Trail. Increased visitor use made social distancing practically impossible and the potential to spread COVID-19 to other Trail visitors and vulnerable Trailside communities — and beyond — posed grave risks. Subsequent stay-at-home orders in most Trail states, numerous national park and national forest closures on the A.T., and hundreds of reported COVID-19 infections in counties along the Trail reinforced ATC’s guidance.

We know this was a difficult decision for those seeking the benefits of the A.T. experience, including many who had planned section and thru-hikes this year, and we greatly appreciate your assistance in helping prevent the spread of this dangerous virus.

Now over a month has passed since we made this request, and many have asked an important question: when will it be safe to return to the Trail?

For now, our guidance is still in effect. The ATC urges everyone — visitors, volunteers and Trailside community residents alike — to stay off the A.T. to keep both the Trail and its broader community safe and healthy.

However, as several states have begun lifting or are planning to lift stay-at-home orders, the ATC has convened a task force to develop guidance on how A.T. visitors can re-engage safely with the Trail. This task force is comprised of representatives from the ATC’s staff, federal and state agency partners, trail maintaining clubs, A.T. Communities, local leaders and medical experts and will incorporate perspectives from those groups.

The task force will adopt several guiding principles as it develops a decision-making framework for staff, volunteers and Trail visitors:

• The task force’s top priority will be the safety and health of ATC staff, volunteers, agency partners, Trail visitors and adjacent communities.
    • The task force will adopt an evidence-based approach, relying on the best science available.
    • The task force will account for the unique characteristics of the A.T. and develop guidance that is specific to the A.T. and the broader Trail community.
    • The task force will consider the policies of our federal and state partners as well as restrictions and closures implemented at the local, state and federal levels.

The task force aims to deliver guidance that can be used broadly by the entire Trail community. Whether you are a volunteer who wants to complete Trail maintenance or a hiker who hopes to experience the beauty, inspiration and connection to nature found on the A.T., we want to make sure you have the information you need to stay safe and healthy.

The ATC wants to ensure we can, in the future, access the A.T.’s myriad values safely and responsibly. For the time being, we ask for your continued patience as we determine the best possible way forward.

Be well and safe,

Sandra "Sandi" Marra
    President & CEO
    Appalachian Trail Conservancy

Might want to merge this into the other posting

A purgatory of .......

Wow. Ever happen in the past?
    .com

Default Long Trail and Side Trails in Vermont closed

Here is the latest information about closure of the Long Trail and its side trails due to mud season and COVID-19.

: https://www.greenmountainclub.org/th...hru-hiker-faq/

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH900 View Post
    This is the latest that I have found with respect to the expiration of "stay-at-home" orders for each state. Do you think a 1 June F-F start date will be possible?

Georgia – Stay-at-Home expires April 30
    N. Carolina – Stay-at-Home expires April 29
    Tennessee – Stay-at-Home expires April 30
    Virginia – Stay-at-Home expires June 10
    West Virginia – Stay-at-Home expires April 30/TBD
    Maryland – Stay-at-Home expires TBD
    Pennsylvania – Stay-at-Home expires May 8
    New Jersey – Stay-at-Home expires TBD
    New York – Stay-at-Home expires May 15
    Connecticut – Stay-at-Home expires May 20
    Massachusetts – Stay-at-Home expires May 4
    Vermont – Stay-at-Home expires May 15
    New Hampshire – Stay-at-Home expires May 4
    Maine - Stay-at-Home expires April 30 (Baxter opening target July 1)

All backcountry campsites on A.T. in Delaware Water Gap NRA are closed until May 22
    (4/10/20) Effective April 10, all backcountry campsites on the Appalachian Trail and on the Delaware River within Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area (in Pennsylvania and New Jersey) are closed until May 22.

Everything that I have seen for the National Park Service is “until further notice”, “indefinitely”, or similar response.
    Michigan and Ohio I know just extended the stay at home orders since theyve come near expiring. I would count on extensions in at least some of the states at this time. I'm going to try and start June, but I might just flip flop around a few states, or put it off further. I'll see when it's closer to June.

First time I am aware of with the modern hut system. No doubt some of them were closed during WW2.

Any chance the AT opens back up in June? Does it matter what state you are in like GA or TN vs up north?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
    Any chance the AT opens back up in June? Does it matter what state you are in like GA or TN vs up north?
    There is total confusion. Everything is in constant flux. If your location is really someplace in Mexico and you need to travel (with a dog no less), you'd be well advised to forget about the AT this year and stay where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There is total confusion. Everything is in constant flux. If your location is really someplace in Mexico and you need to travel (with a dog no less), you'd be well advised to forget about the AT this year and stay where you are.
    Served in peace corps Mexico but back stateside now need to update that. I had no idea trail was closed until after I posted in straight forward forum. So I am just trying to digest this, is it illegal to be on the trail? I mean are they kicking people off of it even section or day hikers? I wouldn't try to thru this year but I need a week in the woods...
    Last edited by Rolo; 05-02-2020 at 11:02. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
    So I am just trying to digest this, is it illegal to be on the trail? I mean are they kicking people off of it even section or day hikers? I wouldn't try to thru this year but I need a week in the woods...
    come to Damascus and head north for a week. nobody is kicking anyone off the trail. trailhead access lots are not closed

Many but not all the the WMNF side trails and parking lots were reopened to public use last evening after being closed for week due poor coordination with the state of NH.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    come to Damascus and head north for a week. nobody is kicking anyone off the trail. trailhead access lots are not closed
    George Washington and Jefferson National Forest AT access points just closed in the last day or 2. Information in the AT Trail News subforum.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++