WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast
    Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I'm going to take this as an opportunity to hike the hike less traveled. There are lots of trails out there that take a 3-10 days where you can supply at home and not have to worry about closures, etc. Many of those trails don't have such disease vectors as shelters where hikers congregate. I might do some off-trail wandering, too. And then there are all those lists to tick off: 4,000 footers, fourteeners, etc. One guy I worked with chose to hike every peak he could see from the hill behind his house, trail or not.

We may have to change our habits for a while, perhaps permanently, but there's no need to avoid enjoying the outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesgoat View Post
    I understand the severity of this health crisis. But, wouldn't hiking actually be one of the better and safer alternatives you could do to practice "social distancing". Unless you stay in your house 24/7 you will come into proximity of others.
    AT hikers generally fall into two demographics. One is the kids, the 20 somethings. The other is the geriatric crowd, the 60+. Unfortunately this is not a good mix this year. The youngsters can have the virus and not know it, and pass it on to the older folks, many of who have underlying health issues to begin with. Having to segregate by age would be interesting. Seniors get first dibs on the shelter and picnic table
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Time to hunt morels......

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    I'm going to take this as an opportunity to hike the hike less traveled. There are lots of trails out there that take a 3-10 days where you can supply at home and not have to worry about closures, etc. Many of those trails don't have such disease vectors as shelters where hikers congregate. I might do some off-trail wandering, too. And then there are all those lists to tick off: 4,000 footers, fourteeners, etc. One guy I worked with chose to hike every peak he could see from the hill behind his house, trail or not.

We may have to change our habits for a while, perhaps permanently, but there's no need to avoid enjoying the outdoors.
    Not much to say to this if you are point to point (residence to trailhead) not getting out of your vehicle. Or walking or riding your bike. But don't use the facilities or stop in the convenience store for snacks. Pay at the pump. Bring whatever hand sanitizer you might have or wear gloves, and carry some mountain money.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

NC restaurant dining rooms and bars have been ordered to be closed as of March 17, 2020. Restaurant drive-thrus and carryout services are still allowed. Individual operations at restaurants near the AT might be hit or miss.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    I have the Foothills Trail pencilled in for a few weeks from now, but am hesitant as someone coming from a highly populated area, to a rural one. Also add the factor of possible getting injured on trail (hey, I'm clumsy). Just some things I'm trying to consider before making a decision.

I cancelled my PCT permit for 2020 yesterday. It was tough, but I know it's the correct choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Gee,I hope you're not calling me a grumpy old man who thinks he is immune to illness.I just got over an upper respiratory infection and it was no fun but it disturbs me that we are not discussing the elephant in the room which is plain old influenza.It has killed over 16,000 people and the press is about to cause a pure panic over Corona virus?Sure,it could get bad,but so far from what I read the average person has over a 98% chance of recovery.I will take those odds!
    Don't take my word for it though.Here's a quote from Dr. Drew https://www.dailywire.com/news/dr-dr...e-of-influenza
    Well, the early tone has sure changed over the past few days. I tried to read the good Dr.s comment but it didn't come up. Maybe he deleted it.

At this point, there is usually a vaccine for flu. And a treatment readily available after a readily available test. None of those yet for COVID-19, so if you don't get the concern at this point, well
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

any hike you can do without flying or driving great distances (necessitating overnight stops etc) and without having to do a resupply unless it's one you cache, I would think would be great right now.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Just got confirmation that the shuttle driver who I was chatting with about a possible shuttle (for the FHT) and said she was highly unlikely to do it now, since I'd be going to rural SC from super busy DC. So yeah, I'm really on the fence about doing anything at this point.

I would like to go April 20 or into May to hike Georgia and possibly the Smokies and will if things turn up a little. But seems that we are only beginning to see cases and projections are that we will be worse than much of Europe which will mean pretty much total shutdown for at least two months. My biggest concern would be getting back to the car which I would be stressed about anyway.

If things improve, you will likely see the entire thru-hiker class hit the trail then so probably not the best idea.

As for getting the virus, I have no concerns about it but if it hits the AT it will likely spread like wildfire so once you have documented cases, you pretty much have to get off the trail or avoid it From what I have seen on YouTube pretty much everyone gets noro on a AT thru-hike and corona would be the same although it may die off in spring with warmer weather.

I have seen some experts say that eventually 70% of the US will get it and it will likely resurface in the fall and winter so this could last a year.

Hikers do at least work at limiting exposure to noro so would go a long way to avoiding corona but with traffic on the AT it would be hard to avoid most likely.

As someone stated earlier it's in at least 12 or of the 54 country's of Africa warm weather isn't gonna stop this monster bug. And some of the doctors and scientists are thinking this thing is mutating to even a much stronger strain of virus. I seen a report where the covid-19 has a 30,000 letter genetic code and is changing by 1 code every 5 days. But I guess the good news is they did their first test vaccine on 45 people.
    Last edited by JNI64; 03-18-2020 at 20:00.

Well at least the trail itself will get a year of respite. Privys can settle out a bit. Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushed Grapes View Post
    Just got confirmation that the shuttle driver who I was chatting with about a possible shuttle (for the FHT) and said she was highly unlikely to do it now, since I'd be going to rural SC from super busy DC. So yeah, I'm really on the fence about doing anything at this point.
    FHT would be a great option imo as no need for resupply. Assuming you can get a shuttle, FHT has a list of shuttlers on website. I used Jim Simpson, highly recommend. Maybe use a shuttler with a pick up ride in the bed or offer to wear a mask and glover during the ride...yea all this sounds crazy!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    As someone stated earlier it's in at least 12 or of the 54 country's of Africa warm weather isn't gonna stop this monster bug. And some of the doctors and scientists are thinking this thing is mutating to even a much stronger strain of virus. I seen a report where the covid-19 has a 30,000 letter genetic code and is changing by 1 code every 5 days. But I guess the good news is they did their first test vaccine on 45 people.
    I haven't bothered to look at the outbreak map for Africa but I do know that right now the eastern part of Africa is in the middle of it's rainy season. So not searing heat. Much like TX this time of year I would guess. We have hot days (tomorrow might be in the 80s) but lots of rain keeping the temp down from now until possibly May. Last year was really wet into middle May.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    I haven't bothered to look at the outbreak map for Africa but I do know that right now the eastern part of Africa is in the middle of it's rainy season. So not searing heat. Much like TX this time of year I would guess. We have hot days (tomorrow might be in the 80s) but lots of rain keeping the temp down from now until possibly May. Last year was really wet into middle May.
    I would suspect that much of Africa would fall way behind on testing. Even more so than anywhere in the world, people will get sick, stay home, either recover or die and not be counted on any WHO stats.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    FHT would be a great option imo as no need for resupply. Assuming you can get a shuttle, FHT has a list of shuttlers on website. I used Jim Simpson, highly recommend. Maybe use a shuttler with a pick up ride in the bed or offer to wear a mask and glover during the ride...yea all this sounds crazy!!!!
    I reached out to Nancy Carkhuff (listed on the website as a volunteer shuttler). Had a nice chat about the situation, but said she'd feel uncomfortable about giving a shuttle to someone from a highly populated area. I'm sure I could probably get away with fudging my original location but I feel that it's important to be upfront with people.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushed Grapes View Post
    I reached out to Nancy Carkhuff (listed on the website as a volunteer shuttler). Had a nice chat about the situation, but said she'd feel uncomfortable about giving a shuttle to someone from a highly populated area. I'm sure I could probably get away with fudging my original location but I feel that it's important to be upfront with people.
    Totally agree and understand...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Just a quick editorial comment: The effect of COVID-19 on our hiking plans this year HAS to be the ultimate definition of a "first world, white people problem". BIG deal that we have to postpone our long distance hiking plans! BFD.

Count your blessings if you and yours are healthy and financially solvent

(and if you have plenty of TP ! :-) One windfall of coming off the PCT a few days ago is the many rolls of TP I had earmarked for my resupply boxes!)

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Just a quick editorial comment: The effect of COVID-19 on our hiking plans this year HAS to be the ultimate definition of a "first world, white people problem". BIG deal that we have to postpone our long distance hiking plans! BFD.

Count your blessings if you and yours are healthy and financially solvent

(and if you have plenty of TP ! :-) One windfall of coming off the PCT a few days ago is the many rolls of TP I had earmarked for my resupply boxes!)
    Lol, so true that puts things into perspective. Well said cr.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Lol, so true that puts things into perspective. Well said cr.
    Same here!

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++