WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

He's not asking for any sort of special privilege the way I read it. Just for each of us to follow the general recommendations and stay in our own backyards. He in his, you in yours, I in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Except it's not YOUR backyard. Most of it, such as WMNF, belongs to "the people" collectively. That you live near it doesn't confer special privilege.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Yea, but I feel obligated to try to help protect the community I live in, so forgive me for being a bit on the extremist side of the argument.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Yea, but I feel obligated to try to help protect the community I live in, so forgive me for being a bit on the extremist side of the argument.
    This is a very interesting question.

Understanding you live in Randolph, would you feel it “OK” for you to hike in other towns?

How about other counties than the one you you live in?

Or is the only geographical boundary that matter the state border?

No easy answers, of course.

They also advise staying close to home to get that outdoor exercise, not to travel long distances to get there. Those of us who live in rural areas not yet affected would like it to stay that way and discouraging people from high risk areas from coming here is important. You think the AT is crowded in the spring? You should see a NH 4000 footer trailhead on the weekend. Cars spill out onto the highway for 1/2 mile in both directions. 90% of them from out of state. There can be literally a 100 people on a 3 mile trail to the summit and there are 48 of these trailheads. Over reaction? I don't think so. This is MY backyard. Stay in your own backyard.
    It looks like Maine is not very far from your "backyard", when you say "out of state" are you referring to Maine?

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Understanding you live in Randolph, would you feel it “OK” for you to hike in other towns?
    Well, thankfully I'm in a position where I don't have to go far to get my endorphin fix. I have no intention, or need to travel outside my immediate area. Sorry the rest of you aren't so lucky. At this point in time, there is no way I'm going south of the notches into dangerous territory.

They also advise staying close to home to get that outdoor exercise, not to travel long distances to get there. Those of us who live in rural areas not yet affected would like it to stay that way and discouraging people from high risk areas from coming here is important. You think the AT is crowded in the spring? You should see a NH 4000 footer trailhead on the weekend. Cars spill out onto the highway for 1/2 mile in both directions. 90% of them from out of state. There can be literally a 100 people on a 3 mile trail to the summit and there are 48 of these trailheads. Over reaction? I don't think so. This is MY backyard. Stay in your own backyard.
    exactly right stay in your local area -

Now is not the time to be running all around, find something local and try as best you can to keep any potential spread local.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well, thankfully I'm in a position where I don't have to go far to get my endorphin fix. I have no intention, or need to travel outside my immediate area. Sorry the rest of you aren't so lucky. At this point in time, there is no way I'm going south of the notches into dangerous territory.
    So you have decided it is OK to hike beyond Randolph’s borders then?

Are you making sure you stay in Coos County?

Not suggesting that your choices are inappropriate, but rather observing the idea of what constitutes ones “backyard” is something of a judgement call.

Be safe.

there is an easy answer keep the potential spread local - going out of your immediate area for anything other than a necessary purpose is just plain stupid in the current situation. Its not about you.

Exclamation Baxter delays 2020 season until at least July 1st.

From the Park Director:
    Baxter delays 2020 season until at least July 1st.
    Refunds will go out asap.
    Please DO NOT call the rez office to complain, they are not in charge of policy.

BSP will Delay Season due to COVID-19
    In response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, we are following recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Prevention along with Maine CDC and other public health officials. Based on these recommendations, Baxter State Park offices and headquarters are closed to the public until further notice. Reservations can still be made online and by calling (207) 723-5140. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
    Target opening date of July 1st.
    Last edited by TJ aka Teej; 04-14-2020 at 19:24.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    there is an easy answer keep the potential spread local - going out of your immediate area for anything other than a necessary purpose is just plain stupid in the current situation. Its not about you.
    I don’t disagree

How do you define immediate area?

Is is your definition the same as your neighbor’s?

So you have decided it is OK to hike beyond Randolph’s borders then?

Are you making sure you stay in Coos County?

Not suggesting that your choices are inappropriate, but rather observing the idea of what constitutes ones “backyard” is something of a judgement call.

Be safe.
    I hiked in Gorham today - Moose brook state park - was the only one there. But that's 5 miles from my house. Been in the area 30 years and this is the first time I hiked there! (note to self - go back in the fall)

Things are spread out up here, so my "backyard" includes all the communities in the area since we all go to the same place to shop. Walmart is the hub which keeps us all going, or could be the hub which takes us all down.

What I've seen of local trailheads recently is traffic is way down, but not completely stopped. But we are now into mud season which helps reduce the incentive to come up here. This weekend it rained with strong winds, so no one in their right mind was out. If the weather is good this coming weekend, that will be telling if some of the incentive to hike a 4000 footer has been reduced.

The real question is what happens come summer time? Will it be like normal around here or subdued or crazy busy from pent up demand? Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    tell that to the hikers that are coming through Damascus daily and the hostels that aid and abet them. a selfish lot

I don’t disagree

It's pretty simple if i can't walk there i don't go there. Only exception is work where i am required to go and bringing supplies for my very at risk parents. sucks but there is no real other ethical choice...its not about me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    tell that to the hikers that are coming through Damascus daily and the hostels that aid and abet them. a selfish lot
    sadly not all humans care about anything but themselves

Last edited by Traffic Jam; 04-15-2020 at 14:35.

I don’t disagree

If you have to stop to use the facilities it's too far.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Is this still going on?? Any idea how many per day?? just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    Is this still going on?? Any idea how many per day?? just wondering.
    yup. i see at least 8-10 roaming the main street daily. they're staying overnight so it's hard to know exact numbers. too many

Don't understand the thinking of these hikers. They are going to run into a dead end at GSMNP and SNP

Pisgah NF closed hundreds of miles of trails yesterday in NC though mid-August. I understand closing picnic and heavy social areas, but there are hundreds of square miles where social distancing is at it's most capable. While there may be multiple cars at trailheads, those folks don't all arrive at the same time. Over reaction in my estimation. I hiked 10 miles on a Blue Ridge Pkwy trail in NC yesterday and saw 3 people total. In a time when the public needs the National Forests they are checking out. How can anyone justify putting an August date on those open lands? You can't.

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++