WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

For instance, as of 5/6/2020, Vermont still has a 14-day self-quarantine for out of state visitors. https://governor.vermont.gov/sites/s...ER%2001-20.pdf
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The most important question is: "Can you be 100% sure you won't catch the virus while traveling and if you do, what's going to happen when it kicks in while in the middle of nowhere, Maine?" As more people decide it's okay to travel, the greater the chance of catching this. Is this a risk your really willing to take?
    Without hesitation!
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    And yet, you and Water Rat had more information than I could find.

Thanks for the information. If Maine allows it, yes, I will travel to the state. It's either that or I might as well curl up into a ball and suck my thumb until they find a cure.

Earlier Florida Governor DeSantis had a quarantine order on anyone arriving from New York, but it was kind of a joke. There was no way to enforce it. I don't even know if it is still in effect today.
    I saw the Florida quarantine order mentioned in a Friday news article and it mentioned other hotspots besides New York but I started reading some other states' visitor quarantines and don't want to mix them up.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

I wonder if White House Landing will be able to survive the Corona Virus shutdowns? Currently the Maine governor has allowed camps to reopen in rural counties on a reservation only basis for Maine residents only and most indications is that that this will last until the end of July. This effectively shuts down much of the WHL business as they are primarily a walk in business with I suspect a 95% out of state client base. Many of the remaining sporting camps in Maine are in the same situation but to date the state has been successful of keeping the outbreak down in the southern more populated counties and with Mass being a hot spot the state is doing what they can to keep folks from bringing it in and that means an extended lockdown.

Even if the state rolls back the rules so they can accept guests I expect the number will be way down on Nobos. BSP is closed and targeting July 1st opening but unless the current restrictions are rolled back, out of staters will most likely not be able to enter the park until August 1st so it delays Sobos by a month.

No doubt many other businesses are feeling it but this one hits the thru hiking public. AMC has shut down their entire hut system and the camps in Maine until 2021 and they have endowments to cover them. A place like WHL probably operates on a small margin so loss of much of a season may hit them pretty hard. No doubt if they own the land, there is someone with deep pockets looking for a camp to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I wonder if White House Landing will be able to survive the Corona Virus shutdowns? Currently the Maine governor has allowed camps to reopen in rural counties on a reservation only basis for Maine residents only and most indications is that that this will last until the end of July.
    According to information I saw on the Maine web site here, after July 1 hospitality business can host anyone. There will be no prior quarantine required as there was in previous months (14 days). See stage three at the link I posted above. Of course, I'm sure this can all change if things get worse.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    According to information I saw on the Maine web site here, after July 1 hospitality business can host anyone. There will be no prior quarantine required as there was in previous months (14 days). See stage three at the link I posted above. Of course, I'm sure this can all change if things get worse.
    Actually, July falls under Stage 3 of the reopening plan. The 14 day quarantine does still (currently) apply to anyone from out of state during that stage.

Like I said in a previous posting, this is all very fluid and very subject to change. Here is the link to a handy-dandy booklet that was created for restarting Maine. The information can be found on page 13. https://www.maine.gov/covid19/sites/...omy_Book_1.pdf

Based on the announcement yesterday, MD looks like it's allowing tent camping at existing tent spots (still no shelters or privies).
    “Two important factors are essential in work of any kind – get it done right and on time, but never sacrifice right for time.” Waite Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by xj-boonie View Post
    Based on the announcement yesterday, MD looks like it's allowing tent camping at existing tent spots (still no shelters or privies).
    I'm in Towson. What announcement are you referring to? Asking for a friend...

Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm View Post
    I'm in Towson. What announcement are you referring to? Asking for a friend...
    "(5/11/2020) The Maryland Park Service has re-confirmed its closure of all shelters along the Appalachian Trail in Maryland, but camping is now allowed at state-owned camping sites along the Appalachian Trail. Camping is also prohibited outside of these areas along the A.T. in Maryland (dispersed camping in Maryland is not allowed. Campers must camp at designated sites)."

https://appalachiantrail.org/trail-updates/state/md/
    “Two important factors are essential in work of any kind – get it done right and on time, but never sacrifice right for time.” Waite Phillips

What are the state owned campsites along the Appalachian Trail in Maryland?

Quote Originally Posted by xj-boonie View Post
    "(5/11/2020) The Maryland Park Service has re-confirmed its closure of all shelters along the Appalachian Trail in Maryland, but camping is now allowed at state-owned camping sites along the Appalachian Trail. Camping is also prohibited outside of these areas along the A.T. in Maryland (dispersed camping in Maryland is not allowed. Campers must camp at designated sites)."

https://appalachiantrail.org/trail-updates/state/md/

Like Pogo or Dahlgren?

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    What are the state owned campsites along the Appalachian Trail in Maryland?
    I've talked to a few others and they are taking it means campsites and tent pads/sites around the shelters.

So even though ATC guidance still stands the State of Maryland is opening those areas? Just want to make sure I am understanding what Maryland is saying and what ATC is saying. Feels like a bottleneck is about to unravel

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    Actually, July falls under Stage 3 of the reopening plan. The 14 day quarantine does still (currently) apply to anyone from out of state during that stage.
    I went back and reread stage three on the web site thinking maybe there was a conflict between it and the PDF, but you're right. I missed mention of the 14 day quarantine in stage three, or maybe it was wishful thinking on my part. That kind of screws up a lot of plans, I'm sure, including mine. I had planned to hike in July, so that's out unless something changes.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    So even though ATC guidance still stands the State of Maryland is opening those areas? Just want to make sure I am understanding what Maryland is saying and what ATC is saying. Feels like a bottleneck is about to unravel
    I don't know about you but I'm finding all of this confusing. The ATC is taking a blanket approach to all sections of the trail. Stay off. I have, since March, and am planning to stay off until we get the green light. There are plenty of other trails, including the Catoctin National Recreational Trail, which can be just as challenging (it's only 3 miles from the AT) as the AT. However, the Governor tonight is set to lift the stay at home order for some parts of the state. Some counties are going to opt out, including mine (Baltimore County). So undoubtedly people from Washington and Frederick Counties will be free to travel to the AT and hike and camp there. So who do we follow--the ATC or our own local and state authorities?

I don't know about you but I'm finding all of this confusing. The ATC is taking a blanket approach to all sections of the trail. Stay off. I have, since March, and am planning to stay off until we get the green light. There are plenty of other trails, including the Catoctin National Recreational Trail, which can be just as challenging (it's only 3 miles from the AT) as the AT. However, the Governor tonight is set to lift the stay at home order for some parts of the state. Some counties are going to opt out, including mine (Baltimore County). So undoubtedly people from Washington and Frederick Counties will be free to travel to the AT and hike and camp there. So who do we follow--the ATC or our own local and state authorities?
    I would go with the local and state, since they are closer to the situation then someone trying to force a cookie cutter approach on everyone.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

I think this is good advice. I am also confused, though. I love the trail and honor and respect ATC. Add their job to a list of jobs I don’t want to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I would go with the local and state, since they are closer to the situation then someone trying to force a cookie cutter approach on everyone.

This is more of an ethics question as the ATC does not have enforcement authority in this situation. It's an ask on their part. Depending on the part of trail in question, federal, state, or local authority may apply for use. The ATC is maintaining a list of closures and the link is on the WB Home page. If in doubt, perhaps not up to date, contact the relevant authority. The trail passes through various ownerships and has different regulations throughout.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

So post about what's open what's not, direct impacts to the trail. Quit the arguing about the virus I'm getting tired cleaning up the same stuff from the same people. It's not going to matter whether you were first or second or what side, if I keep seeing the same names your privileges will start being restricted.

To note regarding closures, art of the user agreement states
    4. Discussions involving how to commit illegal acts, or involving the use, production and/or distribution of illegal drugs are forbidden.

&

10. If a user is found by one of the Administrators of WhiteBlaze to be in violation of these policies we reserve the right to place that member into moderated status. This means their posts will not appear until an Administrator approves them. They may even be disapproved based on content, intent of the post, or the probable response to the post. Verbally abuse, attacking or being combative with Administrators of WhiteBlaze will also not be tolerated. Administrators are the final arbitrators of what is considered to violate this policy. Warnings will normally be given prior to putting a user into moderated status, but as a policy - no prior warning is required.
    Those of you who don't like where things are closed, don't take it up with or out on me. I certainly am not going to put up with it. Take it up with the relevant trail authorities if you have a problem.

And folks, there are lots of trails out there still open. A major reason parts of the AT are closed is because everyone rushed right out to the AT first. Go see something off the beaten path. Be a good trail steward.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Default New Jersey Governor signs bill allowing cocktail delivery

New Jersey Governor Murphy signed legislation on Friday making it legal to sell and deliver mixed drinks and cocktails during the COVID-19 state of emergency.

Article: https://www.northjersey.com/story/en...ls/5204329002/

This could make a hike in New Jersey much more fun! I wonder if they deliver to road crossings?

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
++ New Posts ++