WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Hate to throw a wet blanket on your fun but a drunk hiker is a threat to themselves and others. It also has to be worth their time to deliver something and if it's only five dollars and you have to drive ten miles both ways it may not be worth it.

NY has also allowed this since shortly after closing for eat in, but they do require you buy food as well (though it seems unlikely a hiker wouldn't want food). The question is do any of these changes stick around once things return to a more normal situation.

For those of you awaiting ATC guidance on potential hikes, the ATC has given the green light on day and section hikes:
    https://appalachiantrail.org/officia...delines-may20/
    It is what it is.

Some welcome news on the southern end of the trail regarding the AT on the national forests https://www.smokymountainnews.com/ou...in-four-states.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Default AT in Georgia Now Open

Happy Hiking!

EOM

I realize it’s hard to keep this just on hiking, but any ventures on 2021? I’m okay keeping town time down, but no shelters and no privies seems like a pain. Although I guess Earl Shaffer did without.

Journal Entries

Seriously, things are nuts. Where I am they just had us locked down again. Maybe we'll be wearing masks and staying at home until next June if this keeps up. Maybe off trail hiking to get away would do. Shelters? looks like they will all be closed until then. I'm starting to feel like I'm being locked in jail.

Arghhhh

This is driving me nutso. Figure out last summer on a two week mini LASH that backpacking doesn’t always hurt at my age. Decide I could tick off a bucket list item. Pulled the rip cord on my SOBO this year, and I’m okay with that. Was good for my clients, and I got time with my daughter. Now I just have a bad feeling about this coming year too. Hoping to SOBO in May. I’m super lucky, work is flexible and budget is fine. But my biological clock is ticking. I know plenty of older folk than me have done it. But I’m of an age where staying in shape runs increased risk of blowing something out too.

Well I am damn lucky over all. I shouldn’t bitch and I know it. Thanks for letting me do so any how.

Not inclined to break the guidelines. Do I speed? Push a yellow light? Sure. Run stop signs? Go 50 in a school zone? Nope.

Arghhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    Arghhhh Hoping to SOBO in May. Arghhhhh
    You do know May is a bit early to start a SOBO? Even June can be a bit iffy. If you really want to start in May, do a modified flip flop. Trust me, you don't want to be in Maine in late May or early June.

With few people willing to do what is necessary to truly contain and eliminate this virus, your bad feeling about next year maybe justified. With winter coming on, this thing is set to explode again and may still be raging in the spring. Do your best not to become infected as that could ruin any chance of ever doing a thru hike.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Late May, and if I have to wait for June I will. At this point will be happy with August if that’s what it takes!

Being careful. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    Late May, and if I have to wait for June I will. At this point will be happy with August if that’s what it takes!

Being careful. Thanks
    It all depends on how much snow central Maine gets this winter and how fast it melts. Late May is iffy for Baxter to open. June 1st is a safer bet, but you will likely have to deal with raging rivers to cross in the 100 mile wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    ..................With few people willing to do what is necessary to truly contain and eliminate this virus, your bad feeling about next year maybe justified. With winter coming on, this thing is set to explode again and may still be raging in the spring. Do your best not to become infected as that could ruin any chance of ever doing a thru hike.
    I share your concerns. My hope is by this time next year a significant portion of the population will have been vaccinated against the coronavirus and life and hiking the AT can begin to get back to normal.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Just a reminder to keep the thread focused on the hiking aspect and not the affects of Covid-19 on the general population. Area closures, travel issues, resupply, impacts to hiker services those sorts of things.

Thank you.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

But then, what happens in the general population this winter will determine how it affects the various aspects of the trail this spring, from travel to resupply to closures. Thru hiker season starts in March, which is still winter in many places and is only 4 months away. How you and your neighbors conduct themselves over the next 4 months will have a big impact on how the virus affects the trail next season. If your planning a 2021 thru hike, go ahead but have a Plan B ready just in case. At least it won't come as a big surprise this time.

2021 IS my plan B!

Pretty worried Texas Bob is right. And while Plan C to move it out to 2022 is probably okay, this Covid has just heightened an already growing awareness of the preciousness of time.

I am darn lucky that I can plan for May 22, and just keeping bumping it out as needed without much financial distress.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    But then, what happens in the general population this winter will determine how it affects the various aspects of the trail this spring, from travel to resupply to closures. Thru hiker season starts in March, which is still winter in many places and is only 4 months away. How you and your neighbors conduct themselves over the next 4 months will have a big impact on how the virus affects the trail next season. If your planning a 2021 thru hike, go ahead but have a Plan B ready just in case. At least it won't come as a big surprise this time.
    Don't try to spin it up to a more general discussion of Covid-19. Thread title also says this year, which is 2020. You should be aware by now that we are keeping the Covid-19 discussion tightly focused on trail conditions only.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

I saw that the No. Virginia portion George Washington National forest shelters had closed signs for shelters and privies but were being ignored and in a couple cases the signs have been removed- presumed it was by hikers. In contrast, 2 weeks ago, SNP was open for business with only caution signs.

Pretty funny seeing day hikers wearing masks 5 miles into the woods while section/thru hikes are mostly not bothering with masks even at shelters. I carried a mask for going into stores but otherwise moving off the trail to pass people is all I think is needed. I'm guessing a fair number of hikers are not expecting shelter closures and are not prepared to camp.

I e-mailed the ATC last week asking if/when they were going to open up thru hike registration for next year and about flip flop festival. No reply yet. I'm not sure why they wouldn't open registration. The trail is open right now. It's not like they couldn't just pull the plug again like they did in 2020. If the trail is open I'm headed north from HF in April. Does anyone have an insight on registration and/or the festival?

The ATC may not have made up their mind yet about the festival or doing registrations. It will likely depend on how it goes this winter.

^That seems to be the way of things with the PCT for now as well. They postponed the usual October permit release and are going to reevaluate over the winter whether to release all the permits at the normal January date or delay thru-hiking further. Six months ago it seemed ludicrous that 2021 might not be an option, but now I'm feeling pretty discouraged. Fingers crossed for a safe and effective vaccine, asap.
    A.T. 2018 Thru-hiker
    Follow along at www.tefltrekker.com

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
++ New Posts ++