WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default outfitter on the way from Atl Airport to Springer

If driving from Atl airport to Springer what is the most convenient outfitter on route to get fuel etc.

You could do a google search for Walmarts.They have Coleman fuel,isobutane in 230 gram cannisters,denatured alcohol,probably have yellow heat in the automotive section.

There are a couple of REIs in metro Atlanta, I think there is one right off of Ga. 400 as you head north from downtown ATL towards the mountains.

Are you planning to fly to Atlanta and rent a car to drive to Springer? If so, keep in mind there is no place to drop off a rental car anywhere near Springer. Unless your just doing a short trip and willing to pay the rental for a few days while it sits in a parking lot.

The usual method of getting to Springer from the airport is to use a shuttle. Most if not all shuttle drivers stock canisters and alcohol for your convenience. Or they can detour to REI along the way.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Correct, we needed rental, AT only few days then will continue in rental elsewhere, so workout out cheaper then shuttles. Thanks will check walmarts or rei on route to amicalola that we dont have to go to much out of the way

Okay, making a road trip out of it makes sense. Why not just drive up from Miami? You loose a day driving, but you pretty much kill a day flying too. The extra day rental and gas is probably less then flying, especially if there are two or more of you. I had a friend drive me from south of Tampa to Springer once. Got there before dark.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

REI in Kennesaw. The shopping center also has a Dick's Sporting Goods across the street and a UPS store within walking distance. There are also a few inexpensive hotels and chain restaurants around the periphery of the shopping center.

Staying in Kennesaw the night before starting is the recommendation I got from Richard Anderson (shuttles to Amicalola and Springer).
    Last edited by blackmagic; 03-05-2020 at 16:52.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic View Post
    REI in Kennesaw. The shopping center also has a Dick's Sporting Goods across the street and a UPS store within walking distance. There are also a few inexpensive hotels and chain restaurants around the periphery of the shopping center.

Staying in Kennesaw the night before starting is the recommendation I got from Richard Anderson (shuttles to Amicalola and Springer).
    All correct if you go up I-75 from the Airport. If you go 85 to GA 400, there is an REI right off I-85 and Clairmont Road in the city, and another one off GA 400 near Northpoint Mall in Alpharetta. Northpoint also has a Dick's Sporting Goods.

You can stay in Kennesaw as stated. Probably a couple hours of driving the next morning but more hotel and restaurant options vs GA Mountains.
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

REI
    7531 North Point Pkwy, Alpharetta, GA 30022

REI

1800 NE Expy NE, Atlanta, GA 30329
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

++ New Posts ++