WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Gear overview suggestions welcomed.

Hello all I do not post often but figure getting some insight from fellow hikers on gear choices for my upcoming Thru hike is always good, I'm looking to see if there is anything i might have missed while doing my pack out that some of you might suggest taking with you my start date is open right now between 29th March -3 April. a Few items I have not updated yet is my down jacket and hiking shorts, i have a set of fleece lined Thermals ill be using for my sleep cloths also. Any advice or recommendations would greatly be appreciated. The items marked with start are Big 3 or comfort items.

Thanks for looking.

https://lighterpack.com/r/8yyrtf

Did a quick glance at your gear. Disclaimer that I have never thru hiked. In any event, hopefully you have tested the gear you have cited before to you leave. You may need more things to insulate you but YMMV. Happy Trails!

You listed, 'power bank cable/Phone Cable, block' What is block?

Quote Originally Posted by AsoloBootsSuk View Post
    You listed, 'power bank cable/Phone Cable, block' What is block?
    Sounds like a USB wall charger.

Correct The Double USB wall charger.

Thanks Chknfngrs hoping the trail treats me right, live in GA and my daughter is going to UNG which is just down the road from Trail Head so have done a few over nights and days trips in the area being retired has given me time to get miles in daily roughly 10-12miles 3 days a week with pack 3 days with no gear just to stretch legs out but that's on mostly flat ground so figure its going to hit me with the ups and downs of the trail.

So, you buy a bunch of expensive, high end gear and then cheap out with a Froggs Toggs rain jacket? Better bring a lot of Duck tape as those jackets tend to shred pretty easily.

2 Tylenols? You might want a bottle of 100.

I'd replace the Sawyer mini with the full sized one. The mini's are notoriously slow and clog easily. Although in GA and NC you rarely need to filter water.

I use the travel size (20 count) Wet Wipes in the yellow package. Easy enough to replace at town stops.

A 15 degree bag is serious overkill for early April. I doubt you'll need fleece lined thermals, but a pair of light leggings are a good idea at the start. I concentrate more keeping my torso and head warm then my legs.

A 20K battery pack is also serious overkill, but I guess you'll never run out of juice. I get away with a 5K pack, which is probably optimistically rated.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Be open to the idea that you may not like how your gear performs and will want to ditch and replace it. Don’t be tied to the idea that because you bought something that you have to use it. And remember what might be right for some might not work for you. That’s the beauty! It’s your hike!! Hike your own hike and enjoy being out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Brokensoldier View Post
    Correct The Double USB wall charger.

Thanks Chknfngrs hoping the trail treats me right, live in GA and my daughter is going to UNG which is just down the road from Trail Head so have done a few over nights and days trips in the area being retired has given me time to get miles in daily roughly 10-12miles 3 days a week with pack 3 days with no gear just to stretch legs out but that's on mostly flat ground so figure its going to hit me with the ups and downs of the trail.

Also by your handle and age I am assuming you are former military. Massive thanks for your service.

Or I am way off and you’ve got a thru hike to knock out!

Thanks for the input currently using the Frogg Toggs jacket around my area which has been good but fully understand your plight with it, ill look into upgrading it before the hike any suggestions?

I have a full size on order just not gotten it into the pack figure I would have the mini as a spare once it does come in as a "Just in case" item. But will note this down thanks.

The bag will be what I start with, I bought a liner and some buddies I hike would suggested I use that once it does get warmer, My support Crew "Wife and Daughter" will be meeting me once in a while so swapping gear out wont be a problem if something does need to be exchanged out. I have a secondary bag for once it does warm up.

I have some Hiking thermals Stage 1 and 2 the 1s sound like what you are suggesting figured my stage 2 would be over kill but wanted to be prepared and not be cold in the high Elv area.

Thanks for the input this is what im looking for sometimes the truth hurts but only makes your stronger.

Your Correct, 23 years just retired a few months back and with things winding down at the home front my wife and me talked and figured it was now or never to many of my friends pushed doing things off and never did them, I figure even after sustaining injuries during my career that if Im going to do it better now then later.

There's wide range of choices for rain gear, as I'm sure you know. I had to replace my old Gore-Tex jacket recently and ended up with an EMS branded shell which was on sale. What you choose will largely depend on what kind of budget you have.

The Frogg Togg actually works pretty good, it's just so fragile. Brush up against a branch and it rips. Not so much of a problem in the south, but in New England it's a serious liability. Be careful around campfires, any little flying spark will put a hole in it. Mine is peppered with them and countless little tears.

Once thunderstorm season comes along, switching to a poncho can be helpful. Impossible to hike in, but ideal to hunker down under until the storm passes, which is usually fairly quickly.

I can think of only a few items I appreciated on my section hikes that you have not listed. Rope (50 ft) for when there is not bear pole or box. And my toes suffered most on my feet so I used gauze pads and medical tap alot. Good luck...Enjoy!!

Images

On the subject of foot care - toenail clippers. You can either carry them or bounce box them, but keep nails trimmed. Even with properly fit footwear, toenails that get too long can get painful or worse as they get pounded back into toes on downhills. Similar precautions apply regarding foot fungus, which can be an issue especially if wearing the same (and often damp) socks day after day. Take care of your feet. Some get by with only two pair, but many carry three - one worn, one washed and drying, one dry for sleeping that night. A small tube of antifungal is an ounce or two. Saving a few ounces isn't worth neglecting good hygiene. Same thing for the toothbrush handle. Is saving a few grams really worth it?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

100% Correct totally forgot to pack them thanks! Toenail Clippers now in pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Brokensoldier View Post
    100% Correct totally forgot to pack them thanks! Toenail Clippers now in pack.
    A bottle of New Skin for blisters is worth more then gold.

Very nice gear list. I might suggest an air mattress instead of zlite. I also like to bring mini zlite as a sit pad and to stand on getting out of tent. Have fun, you will figure out the tweaks, thanks for your service.

It looks like a pretty solid list to me. Not a whole lot of extra, pointless gear. Personally I would ditch the knife, some of the first aid supplies, the trowel, and the extra batteries. You'll be in town frequently enough that when your batteries start running low you will just be able to purchase new ones. I never had any use whatsoever on the trail for a knife and ditched mine fairly early on. Regardless though, it looks like a really solid list.

I may have missed it but would recommend a puffy and/or light fleece like an R1.

++ New Posts ++