WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Amc appalachian trail thru-hiker pass program

Does anyone know if the 2017 Thru-hiker pass program is still in effect for 2020 for the campsites in the Whites? Or a variation of it?
    Mama Llama

Call, or email, the AMC. Contact info below.

https://www.outdoors.org/about/amc-contact
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 03-07-2020 at 18:46.

Journal Entries

It was for August of 2019.

It was a great deal in 2019; certainly worth looking into it.
    Trail name Catnapper

Quote Originally Posted by renais View Post
    It was a great deal in 2019; certainly worth looking into it.
    I was able to make use of the program when it first started, and am going back to finish up the Whites. I agree, it was (is) a great program! Have any of the details changed? How much do you pay at the first stop? and is it still half price the remainder? Do you still get a free treat at any of the huts? I just wasn't able to track down the info from the internet. Thanks all for responding so quickly.

Mama Llama
    Mama Llama

Yea, the AMC website was of no use.

One change was made, you must be an actual, current thru hiker. Section hikers do not qualify. They can tell.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Yea, the AMC website was of no use
    Wait, something related to the AMC not being useful? I am shocked

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Yea, the AMC website was of no use.

One change was made, you must be an actual, current thru hiker. Section hikers do not qualify. They can tell.
    One of the MANY reasons I despise the AMC. A hiker is a hiker. Section hikers go through a lot more logistical problems and costs to hike the trail, yet they get discriminated against, both officially and in practice. I avoid anything associated with AMC. I will say, the Whites were my LEAST favorite part of the AT.

AMC is a necessary evil in the whites with the caretaker program. The USFS approach is abandon back country infrastructure to avoid future expenses. If not for the AMC running the shelters they would not exist. The major cost and job of the caretakers is to rake trash out of piles of crap and then compost them and carry out the stuff that is not compostable. Second job is to try to minimize the damage to a campsites by trying to fit far too many visitors in too small a space. Most hikers do not see the crap handling aspects as it happens during the day while they are hiking.

I occasionally visit some of the AT campsites along the AT and there are literally piles of crap sticking up above the toilet seats from off season use. The FS with a few exceptions just screw the doors of the outhouses shut or throw a padlock on them.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    One of the MANY reasons I despise the AMC. A hiker is a hiker. Section hikers go through a lot more logistical problems and costs to hike the trail, yet they get discriminated against, both officially and in practice. I avoid anything associated with AMC. I will say, the Whites were my LEAST favorite part of the AT.
    No good deed goes unpunished.

The AMC should abandon the discount for thru hikers, and eliminate the work for stay option at the Huts. Such work probably does not conform with state law anyway. It is unfair to me (and I am a member) as I am not able to take advantage of this.

Price to stay at shelters should double to cover actual cost to maintain them. The costs are currently subsidized by member dues and fees paid by those staying at the Huts.

Right?

The AMCs claim is that the Hut systems profits subsidize many other field programs including the campsite caretakers. If you run the numbers for the campsite caretakers, at best the program is a break even proposition. Trail crews and managing their volunteer programs that maintain the trails costs money. Generally the capital ungrades like replacement shelters are funded by donations but not many people want a brass plaque on an outhouse with their name on it.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 03-14-2020 at 17:23.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    No good deed goes unpunished.

The AMC should abandon the discount for thru hikers, and eliminate the work for stay option at the Huts. Such work probably does not conform with state law anyway. It is unfair to me (and I am a member) as I am not able to take advantage of this.

Price to stay at shelters should double to cover actual cost to maintain them. The costs are currently subsidized by member dues and fees paid by those staying at the Huts.

Right?
    i agree...

++ New Posts ++