WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FromNH View Post
    I had planned my first longer hike this year, the LT. I trained all Winter, upgraded my gear, reduced weight both on gear and myself and I will wait until a cure is found. I simple cannot leave my family alone for three to four weeks in a time when our lives change almost every hour. This outbreak was and is very poorly handled but if nothing else, Mother Nature is getting a break from us humans. It’s almost as if she said “You can’t figure out how to limit pollution, let me give you a hand with that”.
    Be Healthy!
    I’m with you … metaphorically …

Our two daughters here in Ontario Canada have both been potentially exposed to the Covid-19 virus. One is seriously immune-compromised. The other is a teacher exposed to multiple classes every day.

The latter daughter is in quarantine at home because she is beginning to exhibit signs and symptoms of Covid-19. Mild so far. And under treatment at home.

Our diabetic daughter is working from home and is in self-imposed quarantine, waiting to see if she will begin exhibiting signs and symptoms. So far, after 6 days since her potential exposure, she’s OK.

We now have clear Covid-19 spread in the communities in Canada. In Ontario, our populist cut-services-to-save-taxes provincial government is finally taking the appropriate evidence-based actions — including tacitly admitting that they acted contrarily to our Provincial Health Officer and did not stock up on nearly enough testing kits. The Province is now scrambling to massively ramp up testing. But it means we’re still looking at five-day-old evidence to properly gauge the community spread of the virus. We’re playing catch up. (Sound familiar? … We’ve tested more people in this province than you have in your whole country, BTW.)

My hiking this year will be short, self-supported, and local.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    ......Our diabetic daughter is working from home and is in self-imposed quarantine, waiting to see if she will begin exhibiting signs and symptoms. So far, after 6 days since her potential exposure, she’s OK........
    I hope things turn out well for your family. Dr. Fauci said on TV that the average incubation time is 5.2 days so hopefully your daughter dodged the bullet.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Thinking of you and your family!!

Our two daughters here in Ontario Canada have both been potentially exposed to the Covid-19 virus. One is seriously immune-compromised. The other is a teacher exposed to multiple classes every day.

The latter daughter is in quarantine at home because she is beginning to exhibit signs and symptoms of Covid-19. Mild so far. And under treatment at home.

Our diabetic daughter is working from home and is in self-imposed quarantine, waiting to see if she will begin exhibiting signs and symptoms. So far, after 6 days since her potential exposure, she’s OK.

We now have clear Covid-19 spread in the communities in Canada. In Ontario, our populist cut-services-to-save-taxes provincial government is finally taking the appropriate evidence-based actions — including tacitly admitting that they acted contrarily to our Provincial Health Officer and did not stock up on nearly enough testing kits. The Province is now scrambling to massively ramp up testing. But it means we’re still looking at five-day-old evidence to properly gauge the community spread of the virus. We’re playing catch up. (Sound familiar? … We’ve tested more people in this province than you have in your whole country, BTW.)

I wish your family all the best, I am so sorry for what you are going through.
    I’m coming up in two weeks since my possible exposure, luckily no signs yet.

I'm so sorry to hear about this and hope everyone has the best possible outcome.

So is the general consensus here that short 2-3 day hikes are reasonable, but nothing longer than that? Stay out of shelters and avoid other groups of hikers?

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Hike for 5 months; just stay 6' from everyone and keep washing your hands and face.
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Money View Post
    So is the general consensus here that short 2-3 day hikes are reasonable, but nothing longer than that? Stay out of shelters and avoid other groups of hikers?
    Right now is probably not a good time to go out. California just locked down and it is looking more likely everyday that many parts of the US will be locked down. In order for us to keep the spread of this virus to a minimum, we all have to do our parts. The trail will always be there.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Hike for 5 months; just stay 6' from everyone and keep washing your hands and face.
    Please do some research before posting. Since this isn’t the first uneducated post of yours I’m replying to let me help you out a bit.
    The droplets from a sneeze or cough can travel over 20 feet and linger in the air for up to 10 minutes.
    Therefore if you pass someone who is infected and sneezed 2 minutes before you passed him at 6 feet, you’ll still be walking right through his infected snot.
    Please read my other comment to you for more information. Keep in mind that even Hannity did a 180 on his COVID 19 stand. I hope you will too either before you get sick or worse get someone else sick.

Quote Originally Posted by FromNH View Post
    Please do some research before posting. Since this isn’t the first uneducated post of yours I’m replying to let me help you out a bit.
    The droplets from a sneeze or cough can travel over 20 feet and linger in the air for up to 10 minutes.
    Therefore if you pass someone who is infected and sneezed 2 minutes before you passed him at 6 feet, you’ll still be walking right through his infected snot.
    Please read my other comment to you for more information. Keep in mind that even Hannity did a 180 on his COVID 19 stand. I hope you will too either before you get sick or worse get someone else sick.

Since you're making such a big deal about how well-educated you are on the subject, I looked around a while to see who else was saying what you are, specifically the parts about how long the virus can last in air and how far you need to be from other people. Basically, everyone I found who made the claims you made seemed to be low-brow clickbait sites that sounded like they were trying to report on something they had read but didn't actually understand. The notion that if I walk by a spot where someone sneezed a couple of minutes ago I am susceptible to any meaningful degree to catching the virus is a particularly good example of mis-stating findings. The excerpt below seems to me the most credible, and happens to be right in line with what I've heard medical experts say to us repeatedly.

"In a new study published March 18 in the New England Journal of Medicine, researchers found that SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes the COVID-19 illness) remained stable (meaning: contagious) in aerosols, like droplets from coughing, for three hours. It's worth pointing out, though, that the experiments performed in this study (which also looked at SARS-CoV-2 viability on plastic, copper, and more, in addition to aerosols) were done in a highly controlled laboratory setting. But the authors concluded: "Our results indicate that aerosol ... transmission of SARS-CoV-2 is plausible, since the virus can remain viable and infectious in aerosols for hours."

Even if a mist of the novel coronavirus hangs around for hours where the person sprayed the droplets, it's still probable that the airborne particles are only reaching six feet from the point of origination, according to the latest information from the CDC. As the organization states, "airborne transmission from person-to-person over long distances is unlikely."

Dr. Bhuyan reiterates that message, saying you’re still most likely to catch it directly from an infected person when they cough or sneeze droplets containing viral particles, and those particles land on your face, body, or a nearby surface (where you could potentially pick them up and then touch your face, for example)—or you're close enough to breathe them in. And again, we’re talking pretty tight person-to-person contact. Remember, though: A person might not even know they have novel coronavirus because they're asymptomatic—and they can still transmit it via respiratory droplets. So your safest bet is staying six feet away from, well, pretty much everybody, as much as you can."

Every day we are learning more about this thing. Take care of each other.

Looks like even in SNP social distancing is hard to do

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This is a wonderful graphic showing how the virus spread through the US. It got here in January, and somewhere around the second week of March its exponential growth becomes clear. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...es-spread.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet_1697 View Post

I'd been planning a backcountry snowshoe trip to Rocky Mtn National Park but called it off (the only way to make it work around Covid responsibilities was to drive straight through and sleep and eat in the truck.) Good decision, as they closed the park because the horde of visitors overwhelmed the little gateway towns, at least on the east side, and they closed the park (the whole thing, not just buildings.)

Who would have thought a park would be closed as, basically, an "attractive nuisance."

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet_1697 View Post

This is the manifestation of critical thinking Americans who reject the hysteria. They realize the most dangerous thing about going to Shenandoah NP is still the drive to get there.

No matter how loudly they scream from the rooftops that end times are near, will not make it so. The math says so.
    Be Prepared

This is the manifestation of critical thinking Americans who reject the hysteria. They realize the most dangerous thing about going to Shenandoah NP is still the drive to get there.

No matter how loudly they scream from the rooftops that end times are near, will not make it so. The math says so.
    Hysteria? So the CDC is trafficking in hysteria? I don' think so. As for the math part, that's kind of ironic because the math I'm seeing says this pandemic may cause a depression.

One of the trickiest things in life is figuring out who to ignore. People like you make it a lot easier.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Dissent will not be tolerated!
    Be Prepared

watch 9 months and beyond from now the big Corona baby birth rate. They'll be known as the Corona babies. Hey what else to do when locked up for days?

And entire generation named after a beer, nice!

Dissent will not be tolerated!
    Sure it will! Are you banned yet?
    Intelligent dissent is especially helpful. It may help us think more critically. But just saying it's a scare or over-hyped, etc., that's pretty lazy dissent. In fact, it doesn't even rise to the level of dissent. It's just being contrary. I'm reminded of the argument sketch from Monty Python: An argument isn't merely contradiction.
    Imagine: radar shows a severe storm is coming, and you're arguing that it's hysteria because not that many people (proportionately) have gotten wet yet. As if what is HAS done thus far is all that it's likely to do. I hope you're right, but if it fizzles, it'll be because of serious action we take soon, not because it's on a path to fizzle on its own.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++