WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Pinhoti trail leadership looking to close gaps, increase connectivity

https://www.northwestgeorgianews.com...0209d894e.html

After a section hike Saturday, I actually walked into a Pinhoti Trail board of directors meeting taking place in the parking lot. I assume they were discussing what is written about in this article, which is potentially purchasing more rail bed to reduce/eliminate the 22 mile road walk heading North out of Cave Spring. Good stuff.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

That would be great! The Pinhoti is on my list, but the road walking part is not. Personally, I view road walks as connectors, not trails, and am content to hitch a ride. If they're able to move it to rail trail, it turns a dangerous road walk into a pleasant day of walking without even needing to watch where your feet go.

Quote from the article: "Leonard said that as recently as the late 1970s, 25% of the Appalachian Trail was a road walk."

Is that accurate?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Quote from the article: "Leonard said that as recently as the late 1970s, 25% of the Appalachian Trail was a road walk."

Is that accurate?

i did not read article---just basing my response off of your question.....and I have not thru hiked.....

And i dont have numbers to back what im saying up, just going on what i have read over the years...

The ATC and other partners over the years, especially when it says "late 1970s", have tried to reduce the road walking as much as they can....

Buying up land and doing reroutes have been a majority of the reduction........

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Is that accurate?
    I'd be shocked if it was accurate - that would be 500 miles of road! I had friends thru-hike in the 70's, and I never heard complaints about "all that road walking". There was negligible (I'd say zero, but that's probably not accurate, either - I don't remember any) road walking in VT, NH and Maine in the 70's.

++ New Posts ++