WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Stop or Go?

Wait .......... see how things are in one month. I suspect by that time you won't want to leave your house and you will be glad you didn't go.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

It really depends on how one views their own responsibilities in times like these. If concerned with leaving a family behind to fend for themselves as the pandemic matures and spreads, concerned of potentially bringing illness to remote "trail towns" or to other hikers along the trail, or concerned about others transmitting the disease to them, stop would be the appropriate answer. If one is not concerned by these things, the opposite decision will be made.

Go........

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Go........
    Given that more and more hostels are closed, shuttles aren't running, etc. - that seems like a bit of a nightmare. For towns that are beyond walking distance from the trailhead, you're counting on hitching which is not a likely proposition at the moment.

Images

I agree with TexasBob. "Wait...."

Wednesday I was set to go out to the section that I maintain in the Smokies but after the cancellations of sanctioned hikes by the Smoky Mountains Hiking Club I decided to hold off. Then listened to the Presidents message to stay home for 15 days, I decided the waterbars can wait a couple of weeks.

Sometimes better to remain silent than to remove all doubt.

Journal Entries
    Images

If you have been planning your hike for some time and are looking forward to going, I would recommend the following.
    I would wait to the last logical time to do a NOBO. May 1st would be a good time to start and have enough time to finish, provide that the government doesn't close the trail. A lot can change in 6weeks.
    Depending where you live it may be a little difficult to get to Springer. Check out your various options. As far as getting off the trail and returning home, for what ever reason, you can always find a way. A lot of folks would be glad to help a stranded hiker.
    Food supply would probably be a problem. Do as many mail drops as you can. I dought that the PO would close. Truck stops will stay open, Check where the trail is close to a major road for truck stop locations.
    Use a lot of personal hygiene practices. Sleep in a tent and avoid shelters and privies. Keep your distance from others.
    If you are a guy who likes a challenge, go for it, especially if you a younger person.
    By the time you get to Maine, this corona virus thing will be gone and you will be glad you decided to go.
    Grampie-N->2001

Sorry to tell you, the Corona Virus will not be gone. It will be part of our life for many years.
    Only hope is, that at some time a vaccine will be available and everybody (well, at least 80-90%) will have a shot, so that the virus cannot spread widely again.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan "Guido" Jordan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMT View Post
    Go.........
    .......lol
    Explain to me what's funny?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    Sorry to tell you, the Corona Virus will not be gone. It will be part of our life for many years.
    Only hope is, that at some time a vaccine will be available and everybody (well, at least 80-90%) will have a shot, so that the virus cannot spread widely again.
    Right! This thing isn't going away anytime soon. We've had flu vaccines for decades and rarely does it achieve even 50% effectiveness. We've had Tamiflu etc for many year and still 15-30k die of the flu every year. Wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Stop .

Find a new place to Go. Leave the security of the trail, shelters etc. Driving home from my "essential" job I stop and walk in SGLs. I don't walk on roads or use parking areas. I have not seen anyone. I did get a tick bite. I feel for people who are jammed into areas where this is not possible.

Go. Live your life. Let them who want to stay home, stay home, but don't let them tell you what to do with your life.

I left my thru in March, in order to go home and be close to family. The trails are going nowhere - I'll go back this year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++