Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
If opinions are irrelevant, then please stop sharing your ignorance of common sense.
Real classy CalebJ. Your own ignorance is now on full display. Read what I actually typed.
I asked for legal facts that proves someone has the legal authority to close the AT except for those portion of the trail in a Natl Park. Someones opinion or virtue signaling about what should or should not be done is not relevant and of no help to the hiking community and does NOT answer my question and many others who genuinely want to know what is within anyone's legal authority to close the AT.

"But what none of these organizations can do, of course, is legally or logistically close trails that run the length of the United States."
I've made this exact point numerous times when someone posts that "The ATC (or someone else) has closed the AT." It's simply not an accurate statement. And if it's not true, stop posting it. Unless it's a State Park, I seriously doubt that a state/ commonwealth can actually, legally close the AT or any other trail.
If an agency actually does have the legal authority to close the AT, prove it.
For the sake of this discussion, I'm not interested in what anyone thinks is the ethical thing to do. Opinions are irrelevant here, let's see some facts.