Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 325
  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-28-2015
    Location
    Bad Ischl, Austria
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,248

    Default

    In every kind of hiking/walking outdoor activity, at some point you have to pass through some chokepoints where it is unavoidable to be very close to other people.
    While passing upcoming people, one would breath straight into the others face (and maybe breathing hard).
    Thats the perfect nightmare for transmitting Corona virus.

    Plus, you never know who is already infected without symptoms, and who is a high-risk person, or who will have contact to a high-risk person the next hour.
    Responsible hikers should wear a mask.

    California is going to shut down parks and hiking trails, other states might follow soon.

  2. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    56
    Posts
    609

    Default

    Even with a mask you have the issue of it entering through your eyes.

  3. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-28-2015
    Location
    Bad Ischl, Austria
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,248

    Default

    Not the FFP3 mask that would filter away any particel that could carry the virus into your lung (read: Protecting you), but the simple mask that would limit the plume exhaled by you when sneezing, coughing or simple exhaling (so, protecting others).
    Its impossible to do serious labor or strenous hiking while wearing a FFP3 mask.

  4. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    At this point anyone who has been on the trail for a couple of weeks is probably better off staying on the trail then trying to go home. ...............
    Hard to know what the best thing to do is and you might be right. Here are some thoughts to consider. Most folks on the trail probably started this month. A large percentage of thru hikers don't finish and the rate of dropouts is higher in the the first couple of months. By Virginia something like 30-50% quit and go home if I remember correctly. Assuming a hiker will need to take public transportation to get home and that the rate of coronavirus infection peaks in the next month or two, leaving now might be the safest option for those who don't finish their thru hike. Like I said it is hard to know what will happen with the virus and what the best thing to do is.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

  5. #45

  6. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
    That's OK, reading AND comprehending at the same time takes practjce.
    I think he read and understood it just fine and that you perhaps are not understanding the possible nuances. What Traffic Jam is saying is that there is an increased density of people at the trailheads, trail facilities, and on trail. While trails aren't exactly linear in dimension, in can be difficult on many trails to actually enforce 6 feet of distance, such as on slopes and in dense underbrush. I would hazard a guess that people aren't strictly finding a place to keep that distance, in particular when passing. There were many reports of surges in the number of people at various outdoor localities.

    Forgot to add, plus someone might cough on your car. Bring hand sanitizer!
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

    Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

  7. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    I am self-absorbed and to be quite frank, proud of it...
    This is perhaps the funniest thing I've read today, sad, redundant, but funny. No ethical ambiguity here.
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 03-24-2020 at 13:26.
    ...the maddest of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

  8. #48
    Registered User ldsailor's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-25-2016
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Age
    70
    Posts
    626

    Default

    I have an idea. Forget the pleas of listening to your social conscience. There is an easier way to clear out the trails. Everyone pick a section, put on some makeup that makes you look really sick and go down the trail faking coughs and sneezes into the air. People will clear out so fast it'll make your head spin.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

  9. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-05-2018
    Location
    Aiken, SC
    Age
    65
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    I think he read and understood it just fine and that you perhaps are not understanding the possible nuances. What Traffic Jam is saying is that there is an increased density of people at the trailheads, trail facilities, and on trail. While trails aren't exactly linear in dimension, in can be difficult on many trails to actually enforce 6 feet of distance, such as on slopes and in dense underbrush. I would hazard a guess that people aren't strictly finding a place to keep that distance, in particular when passing. There were many reports of surges in the number of people at various outdoor localities.

    Forgot to add, plus someone might cough on your car. Bring hand sanitizer!
    The thing you are responding to about reading comprehension wasn't in response to Traffic Jam, it was to another post. In regard to Traffic Jam: Maybe that is what he meant, but its not what he said and I can only comment on what someone says. In fact, I acknowledged right up front in my previous post that I'm actually baffled by the number of people I see out there who aren't doing the simple things like maintaining distance, but I still see no reason to feel more vulnerable on the trail (or even at the crowded trailheads that have emerged) than in a grocery store. Look at my post; that was my point.

    BTW, I'd also agree that we are now to a point where so many people are crowding National Park trailhead parking lots and straining the capacity of entrance towns that it makes sense to just shut down. I hate that, but I agree that's where we are.

  10. #50
    Registered User colorado_rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-20-2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Age
    64
    Posts
    4,323
    Images
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    Gee, I had to look twice to be sure I was on Whiteblaze. This sounds just like the Facebook group PCT Class of 2020. That group devolved into a name calling, verbal fight to the point that most group members quit or exited to another group where they could exchange opinions and ideas without condemnation.
    Yikes! I figured as much though.... the FIRST thing I did when I returned from my PCT "attempt" last week after only 7 days on the trail :-( is to instantly quit the PCT 2020 facebook group (along with the PCT-seniors FB group). I didn't even take a peek at either, just left them. The good news for me personally is that I did make an actual friend from the 2020 FB group, we hiked that week together, and we're keeping in touch anxious to hike together when this crisis subsides.

    I personally think these discussions are quite a bit more civil than those on that FB group.

  11. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
    The thing you are responding to about reading comprehension wasn't in response to Traffic Jam, it was to another post. In regard to Traffic Jam: Maybe that is what he meant, but its not what he said and I can only comment on what someone says. In fact, I acknowledged right up front in my previous post that I'm actually baffled by the number of people I see out there who aren't doing the simple things like maintaining distance, but I still see no reason to feel more vulnerable on the trail (or even at the crowded trailheads that have emerged) than in a grocery store. Look at my post; that was my point.

    BTW, I'd also agree that we are now to a point where so many people are crowding National Park trailhead parking lots and straining the capacity of entrance towns that it makes sense to just shut down. I hate that, but I agree that's where we are.
    Apologies, I didn’t think that I needed to justify or explain my feelings but I’m happy to do so.

    When I went to the grocery store, it wasn’t crowded and I had no trouble staying away from people and people made an effort to stay away from me.

    When I hiked, at least 15 people came close to me because there was very little room to pass due to the steep upslope and downslope and every person who passed felt the need to speak to me. In one incident, two off-leash dogs ran up and the owners got close so they could get their dogs sorted. I also had to use the bathroom (twice) since I was far from home so touched the same door and flush handles as multiple people. Of course I washed my hands.

    Taking all these things into consideration, my overall impression and feeling is that I was more vulnerable when I want hiking than when I was shopping when I expected it to be the opposite. I think many people expected it to be okay which is why our trails were so crowded this past weekend.

  12. #52
    Registered User lonehiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-18-2005
    Location
    Cheyenne, WY
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Apologies, I didn’t think that I needed to justify or explain my feelings but I’m happy to do so.

    When I went to the grocery store, it wasn’t crowded and I had no trouble staying away from people and people made an effort to stay away from me.

    When I hiked, at least 15 people came close to me because there was very little room to pass due to the steep upslope and downslope and every person who passed felt the need to speak to me. In one incident, two off-leash dogs ran up and the owners got close so they could get their dogs sorted. I also had to use the bathroom (twice) since I was far from home so touched the same door and flush handles as multiple people. Of course I washed my hands.

    Taking all these things into consideration, my overall impression and feeling is that I was more vulnerable when I want hiking than when I was shopping when I expected it to be the opposite. I think many people expected it to be okay which is why our trails were so crowded this past weekend.
    I can't be certain but I suspect you will survive your traumatic trail experience.
    Lonehiker

  13. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    I can't be certain but I suspect you will survive your traumatic trail experience.
    Thank you for the pep talk, lonehiker. No need for sarcasm.

    Let me point out, I never used the words “trauma” or “traumatic” nor did I use words that implied such a strong feeling. The strongest word I used was “vulnerable”. (I work in a hospital for goodness sake.). If you think I was “traumatized” you are mistaken. I simply compared hiking vs shopping in the context of how safe I felt about being exposed to Covid-19.

    (Neither did I pass judgment on the couple who had their dogs off leash.)

  14. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-05-2018
    Location
    Aiken, SC
    Age
    65
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Apologies, I didn’t think that I needed to justify or explain my feelings but I’m happy to do so.

    When I went to the grocery store, it wasn’t crowded and I had no trouble staying away from people and people made an effort to stay away from me.

    When I hiked, at least 15 people came close to me because there was very little room to pass due to the steep upslope and downslope and every person who passed felt the need to speak to me. In one incident, two off-leash dogs ran up and the owners got close so they could get their dogs sorted. I also had to use the bathroom (twice) since I was far from home so touched the same door and flush handles as multiple people. Of course I washed my hands.

    Taking all these things into consideration, my overall impression and feeling is that I was more vulnerable when I want hiking than when I was shopping when I expected it to be the opposite. I think many people expected it to be okay which is why our trails were so crowded this past weekend.
    Understood, and as you probably realize I didn't expect you to explain anything (I'd not think I have a right to do so!) I was just having a hard time understanding that one part of what you said. And yeah, the degree to which folks act as if being outdoors makes things OK does baffle me.

    Anyway, I think that horse is sufficiently dead at this point.

  15. #55

    Default

    I do not see that day hiking on the trail presents a more "viral" environment than most people are going to experience at home, weekly grocery run and where they go after they get cabin fever. The ATC should have told people to practice good social distancing and hike through all shelter areas without stopping. From what I could see today, the TN counties from GSMNP to the VA border have a total of 6 reported COVID instances. That is probably close to 300 miles of trail. The northern most counties in that area, had none from what I could see. People are not going to stay in their basements for 3 months. Social distancing and elevated sanitary practices will be our primary defense until a vaccine arrives in a year or longer. People are going to have to learn to adjust their lives for their own protection. Those that are at most risk are going to need to take the most precautions.

  16. #56

    Default

    Can't speak for anyone else,but as a member of the higher risk group,I intend to stand down for more than the requisite 15 days recommended by Dr. Fauci and after that not be in circulation until on or around April 6.At that point in time it's my intention to limit social interaction to only the essentials like grocery shopping,post office,gas station,haircuts,etc.

    Not everyone has the luxury of social avoidance that we old retired types do and we can't maintain an economy with everyone under house arrest either.At some point the show must go on and we need to be prepared for the consequences and they may likely be severe.

    So,to stay on topic,it's too soon for people to be exposing themselves to others on the trail right now because it's just not appropriate behavior under the circumstances.Just my two cents.

  17. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    I can't be certain but I suspect you will survive your traumatic trail experience.
    https://thespinoff.co.nz/covid-19/25...s-vs-everyone/

  18. #58
    Registered User soilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-29-2010
    Location
    Chillicothe, OH
    Age
    65
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Three US Navy sailors on a ship at sea have tested positive. Just goes to show you no where is immune.
    More walking, less talking.

  19. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    56
    Posts
    609

    Default

    In addition to this these covid-19 protein viruses have a little hook on them making them easily attachable to the lungs. There they find a host and multiply ,soon the bottom of your lungs start filling up with fluid and you can't breathe, they put you on a ventilator but if your lungs keep filling up with fluid they can't get air to you. This is how most folks are dying. That's why this is such a respiratory illness.

  20. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Can't speak for anyone else,but as a member of the higher risk group,I intend to stand down for more than the requisite 15 days recommended by Dr. Fauci and after that not be in circulation until on or around April 6.At that point in time it's my intention to limit social interaction to only the essentials like grocery shopping,post office,gas station,haircuts,etc.
    As a member of a higher risk group, I don’t consider haircuts essential.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •