Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
It isn't only the AT. Local and regional trails in Colorado, Philly, Atlanta, and Phoenix to name a few have reported overcrowded trails. One report of a popular trail at as state park near Atlanta said hikers were "lined up cheek to jowl" to view a waterfall. Don't get me started how the federal government is handling this "situation."
Can't speak for the other places, but I can about Colorado: the only crowded trails are the local ones, and they are nut-so crowded. I'm assuming this is because of the "stay within 10 miles of home" guidelines we have in place, so hiking folks who generally disperse around our huge state now all hike in one place. Basically, the guidelines are concentrating the hiking density.

Since they are only guidelines, I've been all over the mountain trails more like 20-40 miles from home (the high foothills), and they are essentially empty, most day hikes we see zero to maybe 3-4 other people. A recent backpack trip to a VERY popular place we saw only a couple/few folks near the two trailheads, no one at all on the backpack route.

So, ethically, I have no problems hiking on empty trails, silly me.