WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default What did you do today?

I climbed Carter dome to make bubbles.
    101_0181.JPG

Also for the view:
    101_0184.JPG

Hiked up to Carter notch hut via 19 mile brook trail. Found the caretaker ice fishing and skating on the pond. Just few others out, meet 7 people all together. The roads are nearly deserted.

Still lots of snow up high, but getting real thin down low and real icy. Microspikes the whole way. They have gotten a lot of use this winter. The climb out of Carter Notch was treacherous, I'm amazed we made it without sliding back down and breaking a leg. Once we started up, there was no turning back. Going up was still safer then going back down. The decent off of Mt Hight was a lot safer, although pretty steep in it's own right.

11.5 miles, 3700 elevation gain, 7.5 hours with an hour of breaks along the way. I'm a tad sore.

Sorry the rest of you are in lock down...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

That's freaking awesome slo, who can't smile at bubbles? Thank you for putting that up. If my math is correct that's about 2mph not bad good for you. Forgot to answer your question today I walked my dog around the block and watched Netflix and chilled. (He,he). The rest of the week I'm on call and fri I have to go in.
    Last edited by JNI64; 03-22-2020 at 18:31.

Images

What are you doing today —
    Well, I’m on call today so really nothing as exciting as you.
    Sounds like you had an adventurous day, sore muscles will remind you of this fact.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Nothing exciting here. Went to work, apparently I'm "essential" (hotel maintenance) so there's that. But, I am planning a short section soon so that's pretty fun.
    - Trail name: Thumper

drove a shuttle van full of creeper trail riders. builds immunity

Images

Great photos.
    Nice report.
    I did my taxes today
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

took my kids out ridin bikes

I was just down the road on Wildcat D. Nice to be able to do a "local hike for exercise". 100 mile visibility day, folks that go by in the summer rarely if ever get days with visibility like this in the summer or fall.

Lets’s see...I made myself a new linen shirt, took my red cabbage with beets and apples out of the fermenting crock and transferred to Mason jars, fed my ginger bug, practiced my fiddle outside on the deck, FaceTimed with my kids and granddaughter, swept the floors, washed dishes, folded laundry, made soft tacos for dinner, and prepped for getting called into work tomorrow. I’m sure I’m forgetting something.

Think I might head out there tomorrow for the snow! I don't normally see much of a soul where I tend to hike in the Whites. I don't imagine this time will be any different..

*Holding on to any glimmering hope of the cdt this year...

Quote Originally Posted by eblanche View Post
    Think I might head out there tomorrow for the snow! I don't normally see much of a soul where I tend to hike in the Whites. I don't imagine this time will be any different..*Holding on to any glimmering hope of the cdt this year...
    Looks like it will get really sloppy down your way early Monday evening.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I was just down the road on Wildcat D. Nice to be able to do a "local hike for exercise". 100 mile visibility day, folks that go by in the summer rarely if ever get days with visibility like this in the summer or fall.
    Yep, most days in July you can barely see across the valley.

Today I hiked a 4 mile section of the Tuxachanie Trail (in south Mississippi). Weather was perfect! High today of 76. Tomorrow will be in the 80's (yuck). Only saw 2 couples and a few lizards.

All the mountains were in their glory, on my way to work. And memorable Alpen glow on the way home. Perfectly clear cold sky! But the scenery is beautiful no matter the weather here. IMO

Let's see...
    No-contact coffee with my parents who stopped by on a walk around the neighborhood.
    Built a Whitewings plane from an ancient kit with my 5 year old son and flew it outside.
    Listened to the week's sermon from home.
    Went on a house-wide scavenger hunt organized by my son.
    Ordered a slew of model rockets to build in the near future when we're all stuck at home in isolation.
    Stopped by the grocery store for a few more things to keep things going another week.

All in all not a terrible day. Looking forward to things settling down, but not optimistic that it will be before mid summer at the earliest.

Cried about my PCT permit day arriving in two week with the full knowledge that I ain't going anywhere. Drew up new plans to go to Maine in late June to finish the last 265 miles of the AT. Then head to Kennedy Meadows North to hike south to Campo in August.

This damn coronavirus better not screw up my plans a second time or I'll... I'll probably stay home and binge old episodes of Seinfeld.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

With wet, gloppy snow coming down -- more than we've seen in weeks here -- I and my dog are forgoing our daily walk in the park. Instead, I baked two loaves of pumpkin bread, tidied up, surfed the web, started the woodstove, and am about to work on my taxes. The little seedlings under my grow lamp help me look ahead to better times. This too shall pass, as they say.

I wonder what the effect on air pollution levels is going to be as a result of the curtailment of airline flights and unnecessary auto travel?

I remember reading that the 5-day shutdown of all flights after 9-11 caused a signifiicant drop in the pollution levels.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

Pouring rain here all day. Gutter was clogged and driving me nuts, so I got out my rain gear, climbed the ladder and cleared it out. Highlight of the day!
    Simple is good.

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    I wonder what the effect on air pollution levels is going to be as a result of the curtailment of airline flights and unnecessary auto travel?

I remember reading that the 5-day shutdown of all flights after 9-11 caused a signifiicant drop in the pollution levels.
    I remember hearing about this:

https://news.psu.edu/story/222587/20...perature-range
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++