WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Little late, but two weekends ago I went on a day hike and competed a goal of mine - to hike every mile of established trail in the combined Cohutta/Big Frog wilderness in NW GA/SE TN. There are over 120 miles of trail in the 45,000 acre area. With a thru-hike not in the cards, I still enjoy some goal-oriented hiking by red-lining areas like this. Looking forward to doing some bushwhacking in the area come winter.

Frantic last minute packing, work clean up, personal biz clean up.

Good to see you! I was thinking about you when I was in Hot Springs about a month ago. Hope you are well.

Default What did you do today?

Today I listened to a podcast interview of Nimblewill Nomad, who at 83 is attempting a thruhike of the AT. He actually started at Flagg Mountain in Alabama early this year.

Graybeard currently hold the distinction as the oldest thru hiker at 82.

I’ve often thought that I wouldn’t mind going for an OKH (oldest known hiker) myself, though I’ll have to wait a few years yet.

https://www.audible.com/pd/Episode-2...ast/B0965DM381

https://www.bpr.org/post/83-year-old...n-trail-record

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Deacon; 06-19-2021 at 14:26.

The oak rim trail . 6 miles 3 out 3 back

thom

Oldest known hiker, eh? I hiked with an 80 year old German a few years back. He almost made it all the way, he basically just ran out of time in Vermont.

Dang, I'm only 12 years away from 80 myself. That's actually kind of scary. But I did play a small part in helping get a bear box up to a tent site on North Percy (Coos trail) yesterday. Thankfully, it was actually a repurposed pickup storage/tool box, only 75 pounds. Most of the route was old skidder road so a cart was used to wheel it in. Still, 1.6 miles and 900 foot gain.

I hope to wear out a few more pairs of boots before I don't need to buy them anymore. Don't know about a thru hike when I'm 80, but a good LASHer might still be possible
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I haven't been on trail in a few weeks since redlining the Belknap Range in NH. 5 mile road walks around my neighborhood with 1 hour swim sessions have been the daily routine. Lined up a few interviews for prospective work in Maine or Oregon come Sept. Might be a mad dash to pick up and go hike the CT depending on how the cards play out.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Oldest known hiker, eh? I hiked with an 80 year old German a few years back. He almost made it all the way, he basically just ran out of time in Vermont.

Dang, I'm only 12 years away from 80 myself. That's actually kind of scary. But I did play a small part in helping get a bear box up to a tent site on North Percy (Coos trail) yesterday. Thankfully, it was actually a repurposed pickup storage/tool box, only 75 pounds. Most of the route was old skidder road so a cart was used to wheel it in. Still, 1.6 miles and 900 foot gain.

I hope to wear out a few more pairs of boots before I don't need to buy them anymore. Don't know about a thru hike when I'm 80, but a good LASHer might still be possible
    OKL. Oldest known LASKER-

Dang it , OKL, Oldest known LASHer

Actually I should have said Oldest Known Thru Hiker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
++ New Posts ++