WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Back on the Tux Trail today. Encountered 8 hikers, 7 horseback riders, and a bunch of skinks (not skunks). Can't catch the ripe blackberries - only see green and red ones. Was happy to see mountain mint sprouting up. Tossed a leaf in my water bottle. Blackberries would have tasted better, but appreciated the mint. Was a perfect day - sun shining and high of 76.

AT 2012

I ordered an assortment of Next Mile Meals. I hope I like them. I hope I get a chance to eat them soon!
    Lazarus

Lockdown released, I did a 3-days loop through the local mountains.
    As my Lightwave Pack is still in repair, I had to use my old Lowe monster pack. Carried the snowshoes, too.
    Made up for a heavy load of 40+lbs.
    There is still zero air traffic which put all the tiny whispers and whizzles of nature in the forground.
    So good!

DSC_0118.JPG

Awesome scenery, Leo! I'm jealous. South MS doesn't look anything like that.

Thanks for the kind words!
    The spires in the background were my favorite climbing hotspots, back then when I was young.

Hiked Bear Mt. Conn on Sat. with a few from my hiking club. Trails & parking lots really packed. Glad we started real early.
    Cars parked along Rt 41 for a hundred yards or so.

Did the same thing I do on most days...took a nice walk on the AT. And it has been the best spring ever.

Went for a 10 mile loop day hike at FDR SP yesterday. Trail was shockingly empty considering some of the horror stories I’ve seen about overcrowding at trailheads, combined with the fact our state just eased lockdown restrictions, and it was one of the first nice warm spring weekends of the year. Park stores and most restrooms were still closed so I guess that explains it.

Ain’t complaining, had a great day. Lots of good hiking there.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

Climbed up and down the stairs at work this morning then did lunges, squats, and modified push ups. It was difficult to breathe with the mask on.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Went for 3 days on the AT. Perfect weather and barely anyone out there. Water pouring out every crevice from which it could escape the ground. Waterfalls thundering. A few section hikers only. Back to work from the home office which means back to 1st gear.
    Be Prepared

I ordered some icebreaker t-shirts from Sierra trading post. I noticed my old t-shirts were starting to get holes in them. Last fall, finished hiking the AT in NH and started on VT. Finished hiking the NH48 on the Summit of Carrigain lugging up parts of the flag for the Flags of the 48 and Started working on the Winter NH48. Did three summits before Winter ended. could have been four, but didn't feel like walking over to Eisenhower. I'm getting fat from not hiking every weekend. Was training for a half-marathon, but that was canceled. The runners are to do it "virtually". My GF and I walked the 13.1 on May10th, the day after the race date, when it snowed, so thanks Covid for not forcing me to run in a snowstorm. Ordered a new truck on march 3rd, was scheduled to be built in April, but the plants have been shut down since the middle of March. I'm essential, so I've had to go to work everyday. Stupid Covid.

Rebuilding a go cart I have had since I was around 10 years old. Rebuilding it for my granddaughter's 10th birthday next week. Lots of sanding and and metal work.

I saw a momma coon and her babies in the wheel well of a Beechcraft Bonanza. Nobody would volunteer to reach in a pull he out.

Images

After a looooooong altitude dry spell, due to county stay-out orders, we finally got a good "high" on Mt. Yale yesterday, man, we needed that altitude fix, but it did kick our butts.

Snow is melting fast in Colorado, though we did absolutely need snowshoes just below treeline.

Here's our little group at 14,200 feet (two families, yeah, we kept our distance except for this summit shot, winds were 40 MPH, blew those little corona's away!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice summit pic Rob.

Mostly I wander around on the trails near-by with my saw and clear minor blowdowns and remove limbs and sticks. We still have a lot of snow above 3,000 feet and I don't feel like postholeing or hiking in slush. Let the idiots from out of state do that, there's been plenty of them showing up. On no, Memorial weekend is coming end of the week. It's not going to be pretty.

Or I walk down the street to the lake and back, about a 4 miles round trip. Which in fact, it's about time for my afternoon walk...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I flew around the pattern shooting touch and goes in my little RV-4 following a Navy King Air with a student pilot. Yesterday I saw a snake catch a gecko in my hangar.

Went out to FDR SP again on Saturday, hiked a couple loops for a total of about 12 miles..Beautiful day, a little more crowded than 2 weeks ago but not bad. Couple more trips and I’ll have hiked all the trail at the place.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Went for 3 days on the AT. Perfect weather and barely anyone out there. Water pouring out every crevice from which it could escape the ground. Waterfalls thundering. A few section hikers only. Back to work from the home office which means back to 1st gear.
    What section did you do? How much trash did you see on the trail? I am hoping to go out the next few weekends to pick up trash.

Yesterday I did a loop down in the Sandwich wilderness area with my hiking partner. (Square Ledge and Hibbard Mt). Figured we'd go to the southern end of the Whites on a mostly south facing trail to avoid snow and the crowds which will be showing up shortly. Didn't look close enough at the map to notice the trail reached 3700 feet and a lot of it was in shadow or the back side of the mountain. 9 mile loop with a couple of miles of post holing. It was quite amazing how much snow was still up there. Man, my Knees are sore today! Wicked steep decent off of Hibbard too.

I hate when these pictures come out sideways and there is no way to rotate it.
    posthole.jpeg
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

1000+ miles down, 1000+ miles to go

Bought a strap pouch from ULA.
    "When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute.
    But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute--and it's longer than any hour.
    That's relativity." --Albert Einstein--

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
++ New Posts ++