WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Today I went to the gym for the first time since they closed about 2 months ago, they opened last Wednesday. I work 2nd shift so I go in about 9-10 . Very few people, mask not mandatory but I wore my N-95, oxygen deprivation training. So good to get my fat, lazy, undisciplined, couch sitting, whiskey drinking, movies binging butt back in the gym. It's hardest thing to do mentally as well as physically. I was in great shape, oh well couple weeks ill be back to where I was.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Today I went to the gym for the first time since they closed about 2 months ago, they opened last Wednesday. I work 2nd shift so I go in about 9-10 . Very few people, mask not mandatory but I wore my N-95, oxygen deprivation training. So good to get my fat, lazy, undisciplined, couch sitting, whiskey drinking, movies binging butt back in the gym. It's hardest thing to do mentally as well as physically. I was in great shape, oh well couple weeks ill be back to where I was.
    ha ha! At least you’re honest. I’ve been doing strength training at the gym with a personal trainer and everyone has to wear masks unless they’re 12’ apart which is impossible. I try to walk on the stair climber afterwards but can’t do it for more than 10 minutes with a mask. Can’t believe you wear an N-95, they are horrible.

Images

Last week I took advantage of my WFH situation to visit my mother and work from her house, spend time with her, and do some work on her home. She lives in North Georgia and my brother lives nearby. He has never been backpacking so last Friday I took him out for one night. We walked a few miles up the Approach Trail to a nice campsite. It was a good first night for him.

Went to Loda Lake Wildflower Sanctuary in the Huron Manistee NF. It's an easy 2 mile loop through the woods, along the lake, boardwalk over a bog, and by the ruins of an old farm. One of our favorite walks. Not a lot of flowers this time of year but did see a few pink lady slippers and yellow water lillies. Also saw a yellow warbler, sand hill crane, kingfisher, Oriole, Scarlet Tananger, and a baby deer, still with it's spots. Ate a picnic lunch at their picnic pavilion and used what must be the nicest outhouse I have ever seen. This loop is connected to the North Country Trail by a short side trail. Located just W of M37 about 8 miles north of White Cloud MI.

I spent the day on a fishing boat out of Gloucester Ma fishing for haddock. Almost filled my limit.

Last night I slept on a Thermarest in the backyard and this morning I loaded up my vintage 1980 North Face pack and hiked around the neighborhood. Gotta keep up my chops between trips.

Here's the vintage pack from a 1982 hitchhiking trip to see my folks---

scan0006-XL.jpg

Oh and last night I cooked up a big pot of Lambs Quarters gathered from a weed patch in the backyard.

I hiked a little of the AT up to Mt Hayes. Saw one other person. Sadly, she missed the view which is a ways off the summit. Still a bit on snow on the Residentials. I guess we officially open up June 14th.
    101_0279.JPG
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I was practicing back country short field landing. Climb to 500', cut power, full flaps, land in under 1,000'. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I hiked a little of the AT up to Mt Hayes. Saw one other person. Sadly, she missed the view which is a ways off the summit. Still a bit on snow on the Residentials. I guess we officially open up June 14th.
    101_0279.JPG
    Slo-go'en,
    Thanks for sharing the awesome picture!
    When you say open June 14th, do you think that will include the AT shelters between Pinkham Notch to Grafton Notch?
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Slo-go'en,
    Thanks for sharing the awesome picture!
    When you say open June 14th, do you think that will include the AT shelters between Pinkham Notch to Grafton Notch?
    I think that means you can stay in a motel, restaurants can do limited indoor seating and you don't need to do a 14 day quarantine coming from out of state. AMC huts will stay closed for the duration, but I don't see how they can keep you from using shelters or tent platforms.

BTW, Black Flies are starting to become annoying.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 06-03-2020 at 09:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I think that means you can stay in a motel, restaurants can do limited indoor seating and you don't need to do a 14 day quarantine coming from out of state. AMC huts will stay closed for the duration, but I don't see how they can keep you from using shelters or tent platforms.
    BTW, Black Flies are starting to become annoying.
    Great, I really do not want to actually "stay in the shelters" anyway, just want to put my tent nearby since that is where the water usually is.
    As for the Black Flies, hopefully they will be gone in 5 weeks (well past Fathers Day).
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Re-organized my gear closet. Aired out my Western Mountaineering bags. Repurposed the Velcro and clips closure off a threadbare DCF bag. Searched for hours for a missing stuff sack and finally found it one of the WM bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Great, I really do not want to actually "stay in the shelters" anyway, just want to put my tent nearby since that is where the water usually is.
    As for the Black Flies, hopefully they will be gone in 5 weeks (well past Fathers Day).
    Putting up a tent near-by may not be possible or legal in many cases. Huts may not have guests, but they are staffed and open for rest stops. You still have to obey the camping regulations. I'm pretty sure the RMC camps will remain closed for the duration, which really puts a crimp on where to stay. If too many people show up and have to "make do", the damage could take years to heal.

Legally all the shelters and facilities in the WMNF have a 1/4mile Restricted Use Area (RUA) that bans camping within a 1/4 mile radius of the facility. Therefore the option of camping adjacent to a facility is not legal. The Mahoosucs are not in the WMNF and therefore the RUA rules are not in effect. AMC happens to manage the shelters in the Mahoosucs and is generally associated with the WMNF so there is confusion. The National Park Service (NPS) AT rules apply to the Mahoosucs shelters and as far as I am aware the AT and its facilities are still officially closed by the NPS.

Forgot your starting at Pinkham. All the shelters between RT2 and Grafton Notch have tent platforms, so that shouldn't be a problem. Although maybe "officially" closed, there's no way they can actually stop you from using them. Due to the terrain, there really aren't any other options, except for the one unofficial site north of Mahoosuc notch.

The only problem area will be the Pinkham to RT2 section. You'd have to go all the way to the Imp shelter and that's one really long and difficult day, especially for day 1. Either skip that section all together or arrange to do it as 2 or 3 day hikes.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Legally all the shelters and facilities in the WMNF have a 1/4mile Restricted Use Area (RUA) that bans camping within a 1/4 mile radius of the facility. Therefore the option of camping adjacent to a facility is not legal. The Mahoosucs are not in the WMNF and therefore the RUA rules are not in effect. AMC happens to manage the shelters in the Mahoosucs and is generally associated with the WMNF so there is confusion. The National Park Service (NPS) AT rules apply to the Mahoosucs shelters and as far as I am aware the AT and its facilities are still officially closed by the NPS.
    I am getting a bit foggy brained about the restrictions, but I was thinking that off trail camping in the Mahoosuc stretch (outside of a shelter area) was 100% prohibited in the same way it is prohibited between Hanover and Mooselauke. No?

Also, any chance you can provide a cite showing that camping on a tent platform will remain prohibited, as well as the shelters? I have no reason to think otherwise, but just have not seen that in writing.

Edit: I guess the camping restriction between between Hanover and Mooselauke is just that you need to be 200 feet from the AT, like when in wilderness area. I did not find anything definitive on the Mahoosuc stretch — either the part within the WMNF or the part In Maine. Pretty sure that camping restrictions were claimed by some, at some point. Not sure, anymore.

Also found the Order showing entire shelter area is closed, as you said. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/white...d=FSEPRD729199
    Last edited by rickb; 06-11-2020 at 10:12.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5363715.pdf

As I usually qualify, this document is either poorly written or intentionally confusing to imply that the LNT recommendations are rules. The second page is "nice to do" the third page are the rules that you legally have to do. In the upper left hand corner is the 1/4 mile rule. With respect to the backcountry shelters along the AT, the AMC and WMNF had declared them closed which implies that the tent platforms would be closed. The reality during normal years is its the caretakers job is to cram as many people they can into a small space and shovel their crap out of the outhouse and compost it. This is contrary to most CV-19 management methods. AMC is highly unlikely to add on staff positions to be caretakers are backcountry shelters but then again they are doing it at the huts as the alternative is vandalism and piles of crap and toiler paper in sheltered corners of the buildings.

With respect to the Mahoosucs now that the NPS has full ownership the normal AT rules most likely apply which are generally no restrictions on camping. The AT in the Mahoosucs long ago was mostly owned by the Brown Company in Berlin NH and they required that camping only occurred at shelter sites. They were in business long before the AT so they established the rules for camping in the Mahoosucs from the start. Brown was bought by James River and JR paid for the purchase by selling all their land in Maine to the mill in Rumford. I think part of the sale included protection of the AT in these holdings by selling a corridor to the the state of Maine A successor to James River, Crown Vantage, sold their remaining NH lands in the Mahoosucs to a timber liquidator and after he stripped what he could he did a greenmail and the NPS ended up buying the remaining non owned AT land on the NH side from him. MATC officially requires campers to camp at designated sites but I have never heard it being enforced.

The Mahoosucs may be the only stretch of the AT in NH where above treeline camping is legal during non snow season conditions as it is prohibited outright in the whites.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The Mahoosucs may be the only stretch of the AT in NH where above treeline camping is legal during non snow season conditions as it is prohibited outright in the whites.
    Good stuff.

Of possible interest.

CD0DF778-DA44-4D6F-84F0-E551C284F389.png 0E997B58-193B-4E0C-B0FC-2D99D181D31B.png

I believe camping is restricted to designated sites north of the Androscoggin river, at least according to a note in the Nat Geo map for the region. In any event, camping anywhere else is not real practical.

After my May trip I'm still getting some training in with my vintage 1980 North Face pack---in prep for a June trip.

P1000021.JPG

P1000022.JPG

P1000023.JPG

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
++ New Posts ++