WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Something Bad Happened on the PCT

Sad news from the Pacific Crest Trail. A female hiker died. The article talks about "injuries" but the hiking partner of the dead hiker said she passed out while hiking and it was heat related. She posted this information on Facebook as well as an image of her Reddit post. I sure wouldn't want to be out there right now with the current heat wave persisting out west.

News Article

Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

https://kesq.com/news/2021/06/16/hik...ail-near-anza/

Quote from above article:

“Captain Nathan Gunkel of the Palm Springs Fire Department told News Channel 3's Jake Ingrassia that the department has conducted 30 hiker rescues over the past 30 days”

Very sad… that area was hot and exposed when I hiked it in mid April several years ago. Must be brutal in June in general and especially this year. I remember night hiking to Paradise Cafe to beat the heat and stay ahead of the smoke from a nearby fire.

I wouldn't want to be hiking anywhere out west these days.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Garlic
    Images

In my emergency medical training, we referred to heat and cold injuries often.

Your body's cooling system must be well-maintained and well-supported in these temps, if you must be exposed to them. Hydration, diet, and resting in a shelter with a breeze could be critical. Awareness and treatment come from training and experience.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

++ New Posts ++