WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I believe camping is restricted to designated sites north of the Androscoggin river, at least according to a note in the Nat Geo map for the region. In any event, camping anywhere else is not real practical.
    I agree that that used to be the policy but finding it in some policy is what was asked for.

today i shuttled this man today. inspiration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btyhDcW9t8k

Forgot your starting at Pinkham. All the shelters between RT2 and Grafton Notch have tent platforms, so that shouldn't be a problem. Although maybe "officially" closed, there's no way they can actually stop you from using them. Due to the terrain, there really aren't any other options, except for the one unofficial site north of Mahoosuc notch.

The only problem area will be the Pinkham to RT2 section. You'd have to go all the way to the Imp shelter and that's one really long and difficult day, especially for day 1. Either skip that section all together or arrange to do it as 2 or 3 day hikes.
    Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like I will need to start with Monson to Katahdin, and if things don't open after that, just have to come back in 2021 to finish.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post

Thanks for posting this, heart-touching.

I watched the video. This is why I carry microspikes in the winter.

Journal Entries

Forgot your starting at Pinkham. All the shelters between RT2 and Grafton Notch have tent platforms, so that shouldn't be a problem. Although maybe "officially" closed, there's no way they can actually stop you from using them. Due to the terrain, there really aren't any other options, except for the one unofficial site north of Mahoosuc notch.
    The only problem area will be the Pinkham to RT2 section. You'd have to go all the way to the Imp shelter and that's one really long and difficult day, especially for day 1. Either skip that section all together or arrange to do it as 2 or 3 day hikes.
    Months ago, pre-Covid, I made an August reservation at Carter Notch. I have yet to receive any email or other communication from them saying that my reservation is canceled. A few days ago out of curiosity, I attempted to make a reservation for this week, and got a response that the facility is "closed" on the date selected. So then I attempted to make a reservation for the date in August that we intend to be there, and I got a response that the facility is "full" on the date selected. Based on that, I'm inclined to believe/hope that the hut will be open for our trip, and the hike from Pinkham northward can proceed as we planned.

Either that, or we'll have to adapt to that "one really long and difficulty day."

Images

I see what you mean about the reservations page. Some dates do show ‘full’.

But if you go to the ‘White Mountain Huts of New Hampshire’ page under ‘Lodging and Camping’, the first sentence says “Due to concerns related to COVID-19, the 2020 season has been cancelled.”

Probably should count on it being closed.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Yes thank you for posting this. My eyes leaked and then I got chills up my spine listening to this guy's story. What an adaptive great attitude and mindset.

Climbed up to Goose eye from the Success pond road and did a short AT hike from the summit of Goose eye to North peak. What a nice day. I love the views from this mountain! Saw just one other person near the bottom going up as we were going down.
    Astro, this is about half way to Grafton Notch.

101_0318.JPG101_0334.JPG101_0328.JPG
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Slo-go'en,
    Whenever I do get to that section I sure hope I get as nice of a day as you did! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Months ago, pre-Covid, I made an August reservation at Carter Notch. I have yet to receive any email or other communication from them saying that my reservation is canceled. A few days ago out of curiosity, I attempted to make a reservation for this week, and got a response that the facility is "closed" on the date selected. So then I attempted to make a reservation for the date in August that we intend to be there, and I got a response that the facility is "full" on the date selected. Based on that, I'm inclined to believe/hope that the hut will be open for our trip, and the hike from Pinkham northward can proceed as we planned.

Either that, or we'll have to adapt to that "one really long and difficulty day."
    Have you tried calling the AMC? From what I have read the Huts are closed for the summer, and Joe Dodge Lodge is "expected" to maybe open July 1. You should be able to move reservations to next year. Hopefully they will also let you cancel if you need to.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post

Huts are closed for the 2020 season. I don't think their reservation/availability software is displaying the correct info for all the facilities. Call the Reservations Department at 603-466-2727 and email [email protected] with your reservation details. But I think you're out of luck for 2020.

45 minutes of strength training, 55 minutes of yoga, watered my tomato plants, plan to spend the afternoon playing my fiddle and enjoying this beautiful weather.

drove shuttles today. Carvers gap and Massie gap. i have NEVER seen that many vehicles parked at either place. cars up and down the sides of the road. hundreds of people

Got kicked in the a** at the gym by my trainer. Ate no protein and minimal carbs today and bonked at 5pm... big mistake! Stupid.

I've discovered the Jacob's Ladder climbing machine at the gym which is way better than a stair master. It truly mimics climbing up a ladder. After 5 minutes I'm sweating and gasping...wearing a mask makes it more difficult but them's the rules. It needs to cool off so I can go hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Got kicked in the a** at the gym by my trainer. Ate no protein and minimal carbs today and bonked at 5pm... big mistake! Stupid.

I've discovered the Jacob's Ladder climbing machine at the gym which is way better than a stair master. It truly mimics climbing up a ladder. After 5 minutes I'm sweating and gasping...wearing a mask makes it more difficult but them's the rules. It needs to cool off so I can go hike.
    Yeah that jacobs ladder is a real butt kicker for sure. The stair master requires no arm movements so yeah much tougher. The jacobs ladder requires you to stay focused as well because of hand and foot placement. I like the fact that you can speed up or slow down on your own without controls. ( i actually stopped going to the gym because masks are supposed to be mandatory but very few do . So what does mandatory mean? Just like everywhere else I go around here, which is very few places but the entrance says masks mandatory but some do some don't drives me absolutely crazy. I work at night with a gentleman that cares for elderly mother with dementia and that's the last thing I want to do is get him sick especially if I knew it was my fault).
    Last edited by JNI64; 07-22-2020 at 00:00.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Yeah that jacobs ladder is a real butt kicker for sure. The stair master requires no arm movements so yeah much tougher. The jacobs ladder requires you to stay focused as well because of hand and foot placement. I like the fact that you can speed up or slow down on your own without controls. ( i actually stopped going to the gym because masks are supposed to be mandatory but very few do . So what does mandatory mean? Just like everywhere else I go around here, which is very few places but the entrance says masks mandatory but some do some don't drives me absolutely crazy. I work at night with a gentleman that cares for elderly mother with dementia and that's the last thing I want to do is get him sick especially if I knew it was my fault).
    They’re very strict about masks at my gym.

I’ve worked up to 8 minutes, lol. That’s climbing at a steady clip, hands on the rungs.

Took an early morning bike ride to Clearwater and back. Cooked a redfish with some veggies. Installed a kitchen faucet by myself, couldn't wait anymore till husband do it. Going to bike to the harbor to catch some more fishes.

I did a hike from Jefferson Notch road to Jefferson and over to Adams and back. Lots of people out backpacking. Saw a couple of backpackers with carrying their mall dog on the back of their pack. The claimed they had traveled 14 hours to get to the whites and had woefully underestimated the rockiness of the trails so it was either pack the dog or find some where else to go. THe cog did not seem to mind it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I did a hike from Jefferson Notch road to Jefferson and over to Adams and back. Lots of people out backpacking. Saw a couple of backpackers with carrying their mall dog on the back of their pack. The claimed they had traveled 14 hours to get to the whites and had woefully underestimated the rockiness of the trails so it was either pack the dog or find some where else to go. THe cog did not seem to mind it at all.
    That's a good walk. Looked like a nice day up there. I saw about 100 cars at the Appalachia parking lot Friday afternoon, figured at least that many yesterday. So I climbed Mount Crescent on the other side of the valley and didn't see another soul.

I've seen the parking lot full and groups of hikers with full backpacks heading up Valley Way. I can only guess there has been a lot of illegal camping going on up there. Once this is all over, it will take 100 years for the damage to heal.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
++ New Posts ++