WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Images

We destroyed ourselves doing a 14 miler on mixed snow/ice in the Lost Creek Wilderness (CO). Yikes, toughest 14 miles I've done in a while, constantly switching foot gear from hiking shoes to microspikes to snowshoes, back to spikes, back to snowshoes, at least a dozen changes total, a one mile section took over an hour each way, swimming in old wet snow, fun stuff! The good news is we didn't see a soul, not one person, though we did see one pitched tent. AND we didn't even leave our own county to do this.

I'm fortunate that I can hike from my front door. Yesterday I did a little 3.4 mile hike, which included a 950 foot climb in under a mile. Most of it in the last 1/2 mile. Still a lot of snow above 2400 feet and in the shady areas, despite having a southern exposure. I made it through the snowy and icy sections on the climb okay by being real careful. I hadn't planned to go up this trail, so didn't have my spikes or a poles. On the way down I hit a leaf covered muddy section, slid 5 feet and ended up with my butt in the mud! That was a bit embarrassing.

Today we have a suprise slush storm, good couple of inches of wet snow. It was suppose to just rain. No going for a walk today. Guess it's time to fill up the slow cooker and make my vegetable soup for the coming week. (1 LB diced potatoes, 1 large yellow diced onion, 2 medium size carrots, 2 cans whole corn, 1 can cream corn, liberal amount of Mrs. Dash original seasoning, couple of cups of Chicken broth. 6 hours in slow cooker on low)
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Mowed my yard,drove to the post office which now has the door propped open so nobody has to touch it.
    Returned home and hid in the basement with my guitar until supper.Also learned how to tie a becket hitch on a
    Hennessey Hammock.

1000+ miles down, 1000+ miles to go

Slept 'til noon. (I'm retired.) Dug out my old Nemo Meta 2P and set it up with rain approaching. Last time I used it I would get "spritzed" when larger rain drops hit the roof. I'm thinking about
    using this on the underside. https://www.rei.com/product/882362/g...e-sealant-4-oz Anyone ever use this stuff?

Also went to the hardware store, bought and then hung a couple of 4' long LED fixtures in the garage attic.
    "When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute.
    But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute--and it's longer than any hour.
    That's relativity." --Albert Einstein--

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Mowed my yard,drove to the post office which now has the door propped open so nobody has to touch it. Returned home and hid in the basement with my guitar until supper.Also learned how to tie a becket hitch on a Hennessey Hammock.
    This would be a great time to learn some new knots or practice those you know until they're perfect. Back in The Day on WB, there were several members who were very proficient with knot knowledge. There are several good websites on knots and also some good YouTube videos for visuals.

Images

Have snowshoed or hiked every weekend lately. Today I worked. It was 10*F last night - we had a fire. We've gotten 10-12" of new snow in the last few days, with the mountains getting more. Shaping up to be another protracted spring. Sigh. But it should make for minimal fires this summer.

52BFE657-E26E-4645-908F-903D4AEE149C.jpeg

Walked a few miles, cut out another pattern to sew, did the mundane chores, milled some flour, took my knives to be sharpened (oops, non-essential), ran off a squirrel who was digging in my spinach, sliced the tip of my thumb off on my newly sharpened knife, spent two hours trying to stop the bleeding, sipped some Aberlour 12 yr.

Definitely not going stir crazy.

Sadly, my yard has never looked nicer this early in the season, and my home has been cleaned, and cleaned again. Very sad, in an I’ve got nothing else to do way. I think they’re calling it Stay In Place!
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Quote Originally Posted by GolfHiker View Post
    Sadly, my yard has never looked nicer this early in the season, and my home has been cleaned, and cleaned again. Very sad, in an I’ve got nothing else to do way. I think they’re calling it Stay In Place!
    I'm starting to re-read the books on my shelf. Currently "The mists of Avalon" by Marion Zimmer Bradley - an epic King Arthur story. At nearly 900 pages, should keep me busy for a bit. On to the next chapter!

Just trying to keep busy. Lots of yard work, painting the house, and welding/fabricating a roll cage for my baja bug project.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I'm starting to re-read the books on my shelf. Currently "The mists of Avalon" by Marion Zimmer Bradley - an epic King Arthur story. At nearly 900 pages, should keep me busy for a bit. On to the next chapter!
    A great read! To that I will add the full novel, "The Stand" unabridged version at 1,100 pages is, in my view, Stephen King's masterwork and well worth the time if one has a lot on their hands. When done with the book, you can use it to hold shingles down on the roof!

Not been doing "much" relatively speaking. I was training for a marathon and injured myself about 6 weeks ago. Just gotten back to walking without pain although I have a little inflammation afterwards still. Been doing 1.5 mile walks around the 'hood for the last several days. Actually has been a little painful with the consecutive day schedule. Will try to do 2 walks today for 1.5 mile each. Then we will see what tomorrow feels like. Need to get back to run ASAP as I have an entry for the Marine Corps Marathon in Arlington, VA Oct 25th.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Just finished up with maple syrup season toady! Getting ready to start making a plan to pick off Mountains in the Adirondacks to become a 46er

Made an appointment to donate blood. Due to the virus,local organization cannot do mobile blood drives,so getting low on supply. They are staggering appointments to keep donors safe,so seems the least I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Trek View Post
    Made an appointment to donate blood. Due to the virus,local organization cannot do mobile blood drives,so getting low on supply. They are staggering appointments to keep donors safe,so seems the least I can do.
    Thank you!

I looked into donating blood,the closest donor center is only open one day a week and is booked out several weeks. Every option is a 2 hour drive to another state.

I can’t give blood since I lived in Germany during Mad Cow disease. Ugh.

Replaced lots of old wiring in the barn, installed new LED lights, working on another antique tractor project, etc. Wife is happy that I am home more. The hiking can wait for a while.

Rain all day. I just stayed inside under quarantine. Keeping myself busy though.

Today I was suppost to be on my way to Harpers Ferry to start a SOBO LASH hike though VA. But after looking out my window this morning and seeing this, I guess I'll be shoveling snow instead. Or maybe I'll just wait until it melts...
    101_0223.JPG

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++