WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Story of your Trail Name

Share your trail name and how you got it or why you picked it yourself.

I'll start as I have just, after years of backpacking, decided to give myself a trail name. I have only gone twice in the last almost 5 years. One trip ended early due to either altitude sickness or dehydration or combo. The other trip ended early because my hiking partner bailed. 2 days later I decided to end my trip because I was alone and my husband wasn't with me. I wanted to share every view with him, every good day and bad. So I went home. I was going to attempt a thru hike next summer of the AT and realized I still had the same problem. It wouldn't work without him and he is not able to hike with me. So now the plan is that he will be my "support team" for 2022 as he follows me up the trail and gets me every week (or as needed) for resupply etc.

So after thinking all that through I have realized that after nearly 30 years together I really am not whole without him so I decided I will hit the trail as "One Half" from here on out. And he is "The Other Half." He likes that name.

Please share your story.

HYOH,
    One Half
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

i'm a loner. i love wolves. i'm packless. hence the name

Images

I love archeology of Ancient America. While doing research in Central Illinois a professor directed me to a burial mound that he named the "Mormon Mound" officiall named: Naples-Russell Mound 8. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints have a history relating to the mound that one of the skeletons found in the mound was named Zelph. When I first came to Whiteblaze and tried to start an account I was asked to chose a users name, after trying many of common names and finding that someone here already had the name,.......the name Zelph popped into my mind because of recent research into the subject, entered the name and voila! That's how I got my name trail name :-)

When I started hiking, I was very slow. So very slow that someone told me I was creating a traffic jam on the trail. Thus, I was named Traffic Jam.

Damn that Traffic Jam, how I hate to be late,
    It hurts my motor to go so slow.

Journal Entries
    Images

Cool Pretty simple

I chose it for myself, and it's the nickname of my university's sports teams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgGd...=youtu.be&t=7s
    Last edited by GoldenBear; 03-24-2020 at 11:04.

I hike the Tuxachanie Trail almost every week, hence Tuxhiker.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I had a cataract in one eye... the dead one. Kinda gross in retrospect!

I use canes instead of trekking poles, so I have the feeling someone will rename me one day. Caaaannnnne!

Am always checking & recalculating trail location making sure I am not lost, and I do spreadsheets recreationally. F9 will recalculate all sheets.

Images

Our nickname for the army large ALICE ruck was "North Carolina greentick." (sucks the life right out of you). When registering for WB many moons ago it popped into my head so I appropriated it. So it be...
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Registered User Nolan "Guido" Jordan's Avatar

Thank you PennyPincher for starting a thread like this during the times that we live in right now.

My trail name is "Guido" for two reasons. First, as a little kid, I used to call the "guide" button on a television remote control the "guido" button. (Gweed-do)

Second, one of my favorite books to read was the AT Guide (aka Awol). I probably memorized every shelter from Georgia to the TN/VA border in order from the 2011 edition that my father bought online when it first came out, even though I've never hiked those areas. That book is torn apart now because I looked at it and read it so much. I knew quite a bit about the trail obviously. Since I enjoyed and still enjoy the AWOL so much, "Guido" became an appropriate trail name for me since I have an interest in maps and geography. I will finally get to see those places next year in 2021 . . .

Images

Well, I was a rocket engineer (Titan, Atlas, Delta) for 35 years, and I blow a mean snot-rocket. And I used to hike quickly, not so much anymore.... I go by "Rocket". Not very imaginative.

I'm hard of hearing and people usually have to repeat like a echo so I gave myself the trail name echo. What ya say? I know not very impressive after a rocket scientist.

In college I ate a lot of chicken tenders with honey mustard.

In the Middle East desert the Bedouins gave me the nickname "Nimr", which means Tiger or Puma (Mountain Lion).
    I neither look like a Tiger, nor move or behave in any way like one.
    I belive they were joking at me, because while I usally have a slow and steady pace, the year I earned my nick I was especially slow due to then-stealth cancer.
    Cancer is gone, nickname stays put.

I used to hike with a lady who told me that when I was hiking, I should carry crackers in a Pringles container, that the crackers wouldn’t get broken. We often hiked separately, and would ask people that passed if they had seen the other one of us. A few too many times, people would respond to her that yes, I had been back a little ways, eating Pringles. It eventually became my trail name.

Years ago I did a brief stint as a weekend relief spotter pilot for the Georgia Forestry Commission.Five Tango was my call sign.I took someone's advice and assumed my on trail name before somebody tried to hang one on me.
    For what it's worth,I don't build fires on public lands after what I saw.

My tail name is "bad biscuit. " I had a gas station biscuit one morning on my way to a long day hike. Needless to say, it wasn't good.

Full story here: https://jnunniv.wordpress.com/2018/0.../?preview=true

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bad biscuit; 03-24-2020 at 09:39.

My parents gave me mine. From what I heard, they picked it before I was born.

I live very close to the line that divides eastern time and central time. Some time back I was to meet a trailbuilding crew for volunteer work, and I got the time zones and meeting time mixed up and missed the pickup truck ride out to where they were working. Instead of 15 min early I was 45 min late, and they had waited for me for 20-30 minutes. This was after a nearly 2 hr drive along the time zone boundary, so that was quite a wasted day.

I came up with it myself, which I know isn't how it's supposed to work. But upon mentioning the idea, hiking buddy TJ heartily concurred. It is self-deprecating, and I did earn it, so I think that's good enough until someone decides to name me themselves.

started counting miles in 97,hiked from ct into mass then later that fall parts of ny.
    sitting around the fire one night my buddy said i was putting the pieces together like a jigsaw puzzle and that was that.
    only 220 more miles to go and the puzzle is complete.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++