Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Aye!
    Any unstaked freestanding tent is a beach ball waiting to roll away.
    Been there. Watched the tent fly away.
    Wayne
    Everytime I had to go freestanding (no stakes) with my BA Fly Creek 1, I am always sure I have my pack inside to act as an anchor to prevent this.

Lost a few pack covers in the Whites, sure would hate to lose a tent like that.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Traveler or hookoodooku,, like I said this will be my next big purchase. My question if you were to buy again would you go with the copper spur or tiger wall ? And why?
    i have set up Tiger Walls (2&3p, regular and carbon/Dyneema) and we bought the Copper Spur instead.

The side entry really makes it a huge improvement.

That said, my wife and I now use a triplex. The duplex has a freestanding option (with an external frame) that sets up dry in the rain.

Depending on budget, etc you might want to look at the ZPacks duplex with the freestanding option.

I loved our half dome (with replacement pole set) but it was heavy.

On the PCT the Copper Spur comes in highest rated by actual through hikers.

The last three years the duplex has increased in use on the AT. It can be used with hiking poles or with the freestanding kit.

For two, the Triplex works well, but is not freestanding.

The Ghost just ventilates too well. The My Trail Co condensation was the heaviest Iíve met.

Front entry tents are just not my cup of tea.

Anyway, my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    The Tiger Wall is not totally free standing... like the REI Quarter Dome.
    Both try to save weight by only using one center support pole towards the feet rather than a pair of support poles to the corners.
    As a result, you've got to stake out the tent beyond JUST the rainfly to get the corners stretched out.

But if I were in the market for another tent right now, I would have to seriously consider the REI Flash Air 2 tent.
    It appears to be REI's attempt to make something similar to the tried and true ZPacks Duplex
    Like the ZPacks, it's not free-standing, but it's only about 25% heavier than ZPacks, but about a third the price (on sale right now for $225)
    And it has well constructed vents. Iíve been impressed looking at it.

Hubba Hubba is a little more freestanding than the Fly Creek 1 and a little heavier but side entrance. I have been able to use them both not staked out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    i have set up Tiger Walls (2&3p, regular and carbon/Dyneema) and we bought the Copper Spur instead.

The side entry really makes it a huge improvement.

That said, my wife and I now use a triplex. The duplex has a freestanding option (with an external frame) that sets up dry in the rain.

Depending on budget, etc you might want to look at the ZPacks duplex with the freestanding option.

I loved our half dome (with replacement pole set) but it was heavy.

On the PCT the Copper Spur comes in highest rated by actual through hikers.

The last three years the duplex has increased in use on the AT. It can be used with hiking poles or with the freestanding kit.

Your wording makes it sound like the Tiger Wall is not a side entry tent, which of course it is. I basically see little difference between the inside space of the Tiger Wall vs. the Copper Spur. The Tiger Wall (UL2) is almost a pound lighter, the Copper Spur is a true free standing tent. There are no other real differences, other than the Copper Spur is also probably a bit more durable.

I also own the Duplex, and yeah, that freestanding option for that choice might be the ticket, though by the time you add the free-standing option to the Duplex, you're almost to the weight of the Tiger Wall. Still, there are other advantages to the Duplex; the dyneema fabric doesn't absorb water nearly as much as Sil Nylon, so a packed soaking wet Sil Nylon tent adds a lot of weight (8-10 oz by my home experiments) over a dyneema tent (a few ounces), and as we all know, you have to pack a soaking wet tent quite often on an AT hike.

I ramble, but I do own and have extensively used almost all of the tents mentioned in this thread (including the Fly Creek and 1/4 dome).

All three tents are awesome choices. The 20% REI coupon is good for about another week if you choose anything but the zpacks (Duplex) options.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++