WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default On a lighter note - the pluralities of hiking

I went for a hike on a local trail yesterday....a day of blissful beauty and solitude. At one point I heard off in the distance the raucous cawing of what I thought was a "sinister" of crows (I was later corrected and told it was a "murder" though I hope that wasn't what they were crowing about.) This got me to thinking about plurality words in general. We've all seen lists of them I'm sure, but perhaps a few more need to be identified or created, specifically designed to describe the hiking world?

How about:

A Dumpster of Hikers (a nod to the hiker trash moniker)

An annoyance of gnats (more appropriately spelled "agngnoyagnce")

An Ogle of Dayhikers (often gathered at vistas such as at McAfee Knob)

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 03-27-2020 at 11:11.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

How about a gaggle of geese no, now it's a gaggle of hikers that are in need of showers
    Last edited by JNI64; 03-27-2020 at 11:37.

I have nothing to add but I like it so far!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    How about a gaggle of geese no, now it's a gaggle of hikers that are in need of showers
    Nice!

An Infestation of shelters: Multiple shelters in one location ....especially during norovirus season
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

The plain jane trail, no views.

A lonevert , a solo hiker.

The quagmires?? The giggity hikers. Or don't camp there its a quagmire.
    Last edited by JNI64; 03-27-2020 at 14:54.

Images

A Tonnage of Ridiculously Heavy Backpacks.

Corona = Corono,hiking!

What about something that acknowledges the amorphous, blobby nature of trail families? Dustcloud? too dry? what about a gloob of hikers?

There comes a time all of us become a victim of an insidious villain of hiking. Head down, breathing hard, following the tread way of a winding trail moving uphill then noticing the treadway seems to be less robust than the trail had been. You look up and don't see the trail or a blaze and wonder what happened. (out steps Rod Serling) you have been trapped by a "Monkey's Tail". I came up with this term to make fun at my own habit of not paying attention to anything but the ground immediately in front of me when I am slogging uphill. A monkey tail is that spur trail that continues straight at a sharp turn of the trail. Fortunately monkey tails tend to fade away starting a few yards from the missed turn and eventually become invisible, which is usually when I come to and realize a mistake was made and turn back. Long ago a bird sounding much like a monkey (pileated woodpecker maybe?) seemed to laugh at me as I made my way back to the missed turn, hence the name.

Another name I have come up with is in answer to a pet peeve. Giraffes standing in a group are called "Towers", when the same group starts to move they are called a "Float". The peeve I have are the small groups of people who amble along the trail slowly and stop frequently, only to see me coming and opt to step out in front of me at their leisurely pace instead of waiting less than a minute for me to pass. I call these groups Floating towers.

Images

Poled - a fall or a trip after a hiking pole basket is stuck/wedged in some rocks or scree.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Them "monkey tails" drive me nuts and some places like the dolly sods wilderness many times been walking along and realizing this isn't the trail it's a" gail ", crap it's a game trail.

Images

….And we have all seen and/or participated in trail Ballet. Trail Ballet - the moves one makes to stay upright/keep from falling, resembling ballet or dance moves after a trip, stumble, tangle, with a rock, root, or stick.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Quote Originally Posted by Furlough View Post
    ….And we have all seen and/or participated in trail Ballet. Trail Ballet - the moves one makes to stay upright/keep from falling, resembling ballet or dance moves after a trip, stumble, tangle, with a rock, root, or stick.
    But after your "trail ballet" you continue to trip and stumble arms flailing, head wailing about 30yrd and fall to the ground or a tree we now call that moshing. ( like at a rock concert you know mosh pit . Thought I'd explain for you old folks, lol). Like that hiker that fell 200' down mt. Washington last weekend in the "mosh pit ".
    Last edited by JNI64; 03-28-2020 at 10:57.

I'm not sleeping in that shelter tonight there's a "prv" in there. Meaning someone's "pressure relief valve " is active, meaning someone's farting alot.

GA gloom of hikers trapped in shelter due to storms.

An excitement of hikers reaching a mountain top.

A scurry of hikers racing to a post office 5 min prior to closing, and a devastation of hikers who just realized post office is closed due to national holiday.

A ravish of hikers approaching a free feed.

A gratitude of hikers who just scored a free ride in the pouring rain.

A plodding of hikers who who have not yet learned to cull baggage and have 50 lbs of “essentials”

An eiderdown of hikers who have just gone ultra light.

A sadness of hikers trapped inside due to covid 19.

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    GA gloom of hikers trapped in shelter due to storms.

An excitement of hikers reaching a mountain top.

A scurry of hikers racing to a post office 5 min prior to closing, and a devastation of hikers who just realized post office is closed due to national holiday.

A ravish of hikers approaching a free feed.

A gratitude of hikers who just scored a free ride in the pouring rain.

A plodding of hikers who who have not yet learned to cull baggage and have 50 lbs of “essentials”

An eiderdown of hikers who have just gone ultra light.

A sadness of hikers trapped inside due to covid 19.
    Funny and accurate.
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    A Revulsion of smartphones??

a distraction of smartphones

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++