WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Ongoing quest on the NC Mountains to Sea Trail.
    Complete Ashe/Alleghany sections
    Linville Gorge drop & river crossing
    Woods Mountain
    Bald Knob
    Asheville to Toe River
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Friend and I started the BMT but decided to exit when the Covid news hit. Maybe this fall we can finish. Been reading about Linville Gorge, would love to do a loop there next year.

My hiking plans for this year were to do a LASH of the PCT (my permit date is April 9) and then in July, go to Maine and finish the last 265 miles of the AT. Of course that's not going to happen now. I'm hoping things with the virus will settle down enough so that I can go to Maine in June and finish the AT. Then I'll go to California in August and start at NOBO mile 1016 on the PCT and hike south to Kennedy Meadows South and beyond (maybe Campo if I'm lucky).
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

A couple sections of the Florida trail, and/or sections of the Pinhoti.

The C-word and home concerns will keep me pinned here until the madness passes but in the meantime I can still get my bag nights on the backyard porch---

P1000076-XL.jpg

And if necessary I can still pull obscenely short 4 or 5 day backpacking trips and get back if a significant other gets infected etc.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Back on the Long Trail to check on my adopted shelter and "knock over the cone"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    The C-word and home concerns will keep me pinned here until the madness passes but in the meantime I can still get by bag nights on the backyard porch---

P1000076-XL.jpg

And if neceassary I can still pull obscenely short 4 or 5 day backpacking trips and get back if a significant other gets infected etc.
    I'm putting the Hooch up this weekend, It may be on the deck, it may be in the yard!

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I'm putting the Hooch up this weekend, It may be on the deck, it may be in the yard!
    My new abode has trees for hanging! I’ve gotta get my hammock in shape, one of the straps is held together with duct tape.

I’m dreaming of Standing Indian loop and finishing the Foothills Trail. It’ll be too hot to finish the FHT by the time the trails are open again but there are plenty of places to choose from.

And the BMT is near and dear to my heart...there are a bunch of trails I’d love to revisit.

I'm thinking it may be time to build a still out back and make some banana whiskey.....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    My hiking plans for this year were to do a LASH of the PCT (my permit date is April 9) and then in July, go to Maine and finish the last 265 miles of the AT. Of course that's not going to happen now. I'm hoping things with the virus will settle down enough so that I can go to Maine in June and finish the AT. Then I'll go to California in August and start at NOBO mile 1016 on the PCT and hike south to Kennedy Meadows South and beyond (maybe Campo if I'm lucky).
    It's starting to look really bleak for any PCT hiking this year as the PCTA is basically invalidating any permits, if I understand this correctly. I believe the various jurisdictions involved are playing hardball to get PCT hikers off the trail now. One guy just died of a fall on Apache Peak, 2 others had to be rescued... Not particularly unusual, this happens a lot in those areas this time of year but apparently the SAR folks are not happy about this at all right now given the other circumstances they are dealing with.

This hardball by the PCT jurisdictions could change, of course.

SO, unless things along the PCT corridor change, I'm going to switch my efforts to the CDT this year, maybe do a LASH SOBO from the CO/WY border to the MX/NM border, something like 1500 miles. No permits (actually you do need a NM public lands permit, but I already have that, easy to get online), no National parks to negotiate (can bypass RMNP easily), easy resupply from my wife driving to meet me now and then, etc, etc. If the COVID-19 situation drags on, one can start late (August) given that hiking south finishing in late October/early November should be no issue in southern NM.

Just a thought LDsailor, for an alternate western hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    just want to clear the blow-downs off my section. I already know it is going to be bad...
    This. Then work on GSMNP 900.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    It's starting to look really bleak for any PCT hiking this year as the PCTA is basically invalidating any permits, if I understand this correctly. I believe the various jurisdictions involved are playing hardball to get PCT hikers off the trail now. One guy just died of a fall on Apache Peak, 2 others had to be rescued... .
    You are right, of course. It's just that I have so much invested in the PCT right now that I have to keep hoping. August is four months away, so there is a lot of time to see if things calm down.

I really want to finish the AT. That was supposed to happen last year until I got a hamstring injury hiking the Wildcat range in the White Mountains. I'm more concerned about the AT than I am about the PCT. I turn 71 in August and my clock is ticking.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Had the intention to go back to my beloved Middle East desert in late autumn, but the news about the possible second wave of Corona in China makes me belive that international travel will not be a good idea for the whole 2020 year.
    Lockdown here will be for a least 3-4 more weeks, so maybe mid-May will be the date to shoulder my pack and leave for a 10-days loop through the local mountains.

Depends on when it's over, and there's no telling when that will be.

Possibly the AT through the Whites in NH, or Collegiate West on the CT/CDT in CO come late September. Depends on whether friends' and my schedules gel, or I head out West alone.
    Maybe back to Canyonlands in late November.
    If it takes longer than that, Superstitions in AZ during winter.
    I do want to go there^^, but sure hope the next opportunity for a trip comes along before then!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    I was just out on segment 10 of the MST here in Raleigh, NC yesterday. Saw one person in 4 hours.
    I'm glad you were able to complete section 10, without being at very least being told to get off the trail, or worse being arrested (attitude dependent). All the State and county parks, that make up the majority of that section have been closed for like 2 weeks. I live here, and have had a very good relationship with many of the State park rangers, from Eno to the Falls lake dam. They have been very clear that hikers, all hikers found on the MST in their jurisdiction, will be removed from the trail one way or the other. Again, I'm glad you made it and enjoyed your hike. I personalty don't have any problem with your hiking that stretch.
    ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_) ()_)--o-)_)

[QUOTE=Tennessee Viking;2267181]Ongoing quest on the NC Mountains to Sea Trail.
    Complete Ashe/Alleghany sections
    Linville Gorge drop & river crossing
    Woods Mountain

The Woods Mtn Trail is by far my favorite trail on the MST. I've been twice during bear hunting season and it's always a hoot to have the bear dogs stop hunting and following you. As for me, I see another trip down the Suwannee River, either in kayak or canoe.

Quote Originally Posted by dsccwells View Post
    Back on AT to finish it up. Just need 54 miles from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry.
    That's awesome! I just hiked this exact section southbound at the beginning of March. I had to do some clean up miles from my thru last year.

Congrats on the impending finish!

Journal Entries

Benton Mackaye/AT 530 mile loop, hopefully this Fall.

Images

Springer to Fontana, the first of June??? If not then, maybe October?
    ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++