WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default If you had one week...suggestions/tips

Class of 2008, but it seems A LOT longer than that. Taking a week off in June to clear the head and lose some weight but wanted to know what folks are seeing out there with everything going on. Looking at about an 70-90 mile stretch and because of location/logistics I will be doing something like Neels Gap NOBO to NC or Erwin area SOBO to Smokies. I will have my dog and have to assume it is a lot harder to catch a hitch into town right now so that could come into play.

Leaning SOBO because I could stop in Hot Springs and have to worry about resupply. But NOBO GA is by far more remote with less of an urban interface so we wouldn't have as many encounters with dayhikers which is EXACTLY what I am looking for.

Is the trail jammed packed right now from Erwin to Smokies or could it be at that time? More so than GA I have to assume?

Has hitchhiking been pretty much impossible?

Not messing with the smokies but does either section have any issues with closures or worries with a dog?

It's hard for me to recall which section is better in terms of views...etc. Any help is appreciated.

Dramatically reduce your human encounters and eliminate hitching . . . carry your whole week's worth of food. Yeah, it a bit different experience, but beautiful in its own way. Also, with just a week, why not pick anther more remote or otherwise less traveled trail or trail network?
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I just like the trail companion, plainning is easier and it's been a long time since I have hiked it. I am beginning to think GA will be a better option we will probably see a lot of NOBOs picking back up in Tennessee. Honestly i didnt even know the whole situation with the trail this year when i posted. Yea I guess I could carry a weeks worth bit man that's a lot of weight for someone who isn't as in shape as I was a decade ago.

If you don't want to carry a weeks worth of food, your only good option is Springer to Hiawassiee, with a stop at Neel Gap for a resupply. Doing this, you don't have to go off trail and waste a good part of the day just to get a few more days of food.

That is if the outfitter is actually open. I have not been able to tell one way or another - you'd best call. You will also need to find out if you can get a shuttle back to your car (or the other way around).

Where do you live? Can there be someplace else closer to home to spend a week in the woods at?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Presuming the OP is in Mexico as his Location indicates, how about the Copper Canyon area in Chihuahua MX? That would avoid border crossings and possibly reduce long distance travel complications and is probably not as crowded as the AT or other popular trails in the US.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Presuming the OP is in Mexico as his Location indicates, how about the Copper Canyon area in Chihuahua MX? That would avoid border crossings and possibly reduce long distance travel complications and is probably not as crowded as the AT or other popular trails in the US.
    Rolo is back stateside, per his post in the CV thread.

Per the original question: I sure liked the section of the AT which included the Roan highlands area. Having only hiked it once, I wonder if there are any other trails that afford any loop possibilities with the AT in that area.

Garlic
    Images

I'm class of '08 as well, and I was thinking I can't believe it's been a dozen years--time flies. Sorry, I can't help with that area of the country, just wishing you luck right now. All your concerns are valid ones, I bet.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

++ New Posts ++