WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Knife Love Thread

If you think knives are unnecessary or toxic-ally masculine, this thread is not for you. Stop now and turn away! For everyone else, what is you favorite knife for back-country travel? What do you look for? Fixed blade, folding? Size? etc.etc.?

I personally like the Benchmade Griptillian. It is a folder that's ~8"open, no serrations. I carry it everyday, everywhere. I think the familiarity I have makes it work best for me. It can open a letter or clean a fish.
    Attached Images Attached Images

the 2 i mainly carry (not together) are Esee Izula 2 & Spyderco Delica 4

Three things I will always have on my person while hiking are a compass,lighter,and a fixed blade knife,preferably
    the Cold Steel Peackmaker III.The compass is a Silva,not some cheap button compass,the knife meets my primary criteria of full tang construction for battoning of wood,length,weight,price,and quality.Note,it's a light weight inexpensive item.Cleveland Kydex made me a custom sheath and put the sheath on their website as standard order so you don't have to go thru the hassle of special ordering and sending them your knife in the mail.And my lighter is the mini Bic of course.
    Last edited by Five Tango; 04-07-2020 at 20:03.

back country travel- like a trail or actual off trail real back country?

trail like the AT i carry victorinox sd in my med kit and an Opinel no 7 scout knife - this is great for cheese and summer sausage ect and the blunt point makes it safer to handle

real back country off trail - a cheap morakniv stainless blade preferably in bright orange...like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EOJAKI...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I carry a Buck 482 with 3" folding blade and plastic handle (carbon fiber maybe?)

It's sturdy enough to do minor brushing along the trail. If something is sticking out into the trail and comes close to poking my eye out or is otherwise a nuisance, I remove it. I can take out branches up to 1" easy.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

For back country I prefer a big one, fixed blade. Scares people, animals and clears brush :

Delica 4 and a Vnox Classic here.
    Nowadays, I look strictly for utility, but it really is pretty rare to need much of a knife for backpacking.
    As a general purpose daily carry, I love pretty much everything about the full flat grind Delica. After carrying everything from regular and limited edition Benchmades and Spydercos, large and small Sebenzas, some midtech and custom folders, it's still my #1 choice.

I LOVE fixed blades, and have owned and tested(used to provide feedback to a couple of custom makers when CPM steels were new) a wide variety of them. Bunch of wonderful knives from guys like Trace Rinaldi, Rob Simonich, Darrel Ralph, and others, plus Busses from 3-9+" and everything in between.
    When I got out of that hobby, I sold off almost everything, though. Most of the "practical uses" for them were ones I dreamed up.
    Kept an old Blackjack #1-7 and Becker BK7 for splitting wood occasionally on winter overnighters, but the only remaining custom is a little 2.5" one in CPM-10V-'cause we all need a custom cardboard cutter
    My favorites were the Rinaldi Gambit and TUK, and DDR CF ArcLite, though.

I carry the tiny Victoria Knox with the scissors and toothpick in my kitchen set.That was the knife most often used until Trail Designs included one of their little finger sized box cutter style blades on an order I got from them.It makes the tiny Vnox seem bulky by comparison.

My big knife with sheath weighs less than 4 ounces.You really don't need one until you really need one.Funny how that works.

Journal Entries
    Images

I’ve carried the same Camillus demo knife for 47 years now. I think that it’s had the same dummy cord for the whole time. The belt sheaf is frayed and repaired several times. It’s cut everything - from spam to time fuze and det cord and everything in between. Opened a lot of c-ration cans and MRE bags.

I also have the smallest Swiss Army knife in my first aid kit.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Images

The smallest SAK with the tiny blade and file/screwdriver, and a small Gerber EZ Out.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

The knife that accompanies me on all my trips is a small folding Opinel. It does everything I need from a knife and I keep the carbon blade free of rust by cutting a lot of pepperoni with it!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Love my griptillian but I am lusting after the bugout, half the weight of the griptillian.

https://www.benchmade.com/bugout-family.html

Journal Entries
    Images

Spyderco Delica with the molded clip and a serrated blade.

The spyderco delica is getting some attention here. I am going to check it out next chance I get. I've also never seen the benchmade bug out!!. There is so much to love, lol

Victorinox mini in my medkit, a Kershaw 2330 clipped to my pants pocket, made it with me all the way on my SoBo hike without getting lost. I just got myself a Benchmade North Fork, but I'm too worried I'll lose it doing multi-day backpacking so I bring it hunting only!
    MEGA '19

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    Love my griptillian but I am lusting after the bugout, half the weight of the griptillian.

https://www.benchmade.com/bugout-family.html
    I have been eyeing it for some time, just can't decide if I want to drop the coin. Also the https://www.benchmade.com/533.html is very tempting.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by pettas View Post
    The knife that accompanies me on all my trips is a small folding Opinel. It does everything I need from a knife and I keep the carbon blade free of rust by cutting a lot of pepperoni with it!
    The Opinel is my normal on-trail knife.

I am shopping for a knife to use in my new shop in the garage, for opening boxes, cutting plastic, etc. Nothing expensive, but not junk either. Either a fixed blade or a handle longer than the blade.

I always carry a Buck Mini-Tool 350 (1.2 oz) that has pliers, tweezers, scissors, nail file, and small blade. These are, sadly, discontinued but can be found on auction sites if you keep an eye out for them. I often also throw in a slightly modified Opinel #9 (1.6 oz) if I want a larger blade. At under 3 oz for the pair I think they are cheap insurance for the unexpected.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    I always carry a Buck Mini-Tool 350 (1.2 oz) that has pliers, tweezers, scissors, nail file, and small blade. These are, sadly, discontinued but can be found on auction sites if you keep an eye out for them. I often also throw in a slightly modified Opinel #9 (1.6 oz) if I want a larger blade. At under 3 oz for the pair I think they are cheap insurance for the unexpected.
    The Buck Mini are really nice:

^^^^I have a "Buck Lite" that is very similar. Also discontinued

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++