Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why SOBO?

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Here is your SOBO challenge:

You start in a very remote area so make sure you have experience. Gear changes or shipping equipment home won’t happen in the first few days.

Your first two days are in BSP. You will likely then camp at Abol Bridge before entering the 100 Mile Wilderness. You then have 8 to 10 days in the 100 Mile since you won’t be in trail shape yet. Yes, I know you think you are training hard. Just trust me on this one. Few of the SOBOs I met on my thru appreciated the difficulty of being on trail 10 to 12 days before the first shower and resupply. Most had a very expensive food drop left for them in the 100 Mile. Most had too much weight. Most failed before exiting the 100 Mile and had a very expensive shuttle out of there.

NOBO and flip flop means you will be in trail shape and that area wont be nearly as hard. You will go thru in 5 days and no food drop will be required. You will be accustomed to the significant discomforts or wet feet, bugs, no shower, heat, cold, etc.

I met several people on both the north half and south half of the 100 Mile Wilderness that were turning around. Both section hikers and SOBOs. Never saw such a thing on the other 2,000 miles of the AT!

After you leave the Whites you will hike through a lot of overgrown trail. Summer will be on strong. Many areas have poor trail maintenance. It’s much different than early spring when the trail isn’t as overgrown yet. I did a flip flop and experienced that overgrowth from HF was to Springer.

A SOBO is certainly doable. Just make sure you know what you are getting into.
    so you've walked SOBO?

It took me a total of 14 days to do the 100 Mile Wilderness, In my defense I planned it that way and only did 1/2 at a time. Not being a thru but knowing what I was getting into, I took the easy way out. I know that the the Northern half I did as the SOBO were in full swing and some of them looked great and prepared others looked like it would take a modern miracle for them to make it 100 miles forget all the way. I did the southern half when the NOBO were rushing to finish before BSP closed for camping. Again I was amazed how some of the people had made it that far, and others you could tell would give up large body parts before they quit. In life you have both types of people and hiking is just a slice of life, if you look you can find all types. Some types take to it and do it for life others say , I tried got the tee shirt and no thanks.

Looks like this year all that will be found is the super fast and the section hikers, but next year the mix will start again in full swing.

The Appalachian Trail is from Maine to Georgia.

The sidewalks in Damascus don't lie.

Damascus sidewalk sign.jpg

GA to ME, ME to GA, or even flip flop, thru or section, who cares, just enjoy it while and whenever you can.
    I am just hoping every part of the AT is open again soon.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Also, forgot to add, if you do decide to go SOBO and you like waterfalls, take the time (and the extra few miles) to see Gulf Hagas. It's in the 100 Mile Wilderness but don't be in such a hurry to get to Georgia that you pass up the things you need to see. The waterfalls are beautiful and well worth the hike.

Most other hikers will try to talk you out of it and say it isn't worth it but...hike your own hike (I heard that somewhere).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++