WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Boutique pack makers... First time user...

I am slowly upgrading my equipment to bring down my pack weight. I’ve noticed I can shave 2-3lbs by just getting a new pack!

I currently use a Dueter 50 ACT lite (3lbs 8oz)

I was looking at either a Lite AF 46 or Superior Wilderness 50. Both are around 26oz

Anything as far as general use that I am not thinking about? Should I consider The Exos or another store bought option?

Just looking to get opinions on this. I mostly backpack a few nights max.

What's your approximate gear weight (fully loaded with food and water) that you'd be putting in the pack (not counting the pack itself)?

At the risk of overwhelming your choices, suggest you look at Gossamer Gear, Hyperlite Mountain Gear, Zpacks, and ULA. All have packs that might be just the perfect one for you.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I am a heavy packer. I am prob 30lbs for a single overnight! That is everything, (typically) 2 liters water(one to consume, one to cook with) , pack, food...

But I am working on that... few oz here and there should add up to big savings..

Something I can’t get around is my love for my Dragonfly.. lol. It’s prob my heaviest piece of gear.

I am a heavy packer. I am prob 30lbs for a single overnight! That is everything, (typically) 2 liters water(one to consume, one to cook with) , pack, food...

But I am working on that... few oz here and there should add up to big savings..

Something I can’t get around is my love for my Dragonfly.. lol. It’s prob my heaviest piece of gear.

Honestly, at that amount of weight I'd probably stick with something like the Exos. I love my Mountain Laurel pack, but the weight savings of ultralight materials (and going frameless) just isn't much of a percentage compared to the 30 pounds of gear and the increased cost of a cottage industry pack made of DCF.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Honestly, at that amount of weight I'd probably stick with something like the Exos. I love my Mountain Laurel pack, but the weight savings of ultralight materials (and going frameless) just isn't much of a percentage compared to the 30 pounds of gear and the increased cost of a cottage industry pack made of DCF.
    I would probably get a internal frame UL pack

Sure - but is the cost really worth it for the incremental percentage in weight improvement vs an off the shelf option that's lighter than what you have now? Again - I absolutely love my MLD pack. But the Exos that I also use carries very well at higher weights and is available on sale or used for a fraction of what you'd pay for a framed cottage manufacturer's alternative.

Also - the Dragonfly is an excellent piece of gear. I love breaking it out on the right winter trip. But a canister stove is a fraction of the weight and works so much better for the majority of the year. No maintenance, no fiddling, just instant lighting and perfect flame control.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Sure - but is the cost really worth it for the incremental percentage in weight improvement vs an off the shelf option that's lighter than what you have now? Again - I absolutely love my MLD pack. But the Exos that I also use carries very well at higher weights and is available on sale or used for a fraction of what you'd pay for a framed cottage manufacturer's alternative.

Also - the Dragonfly is an excellent piece of gear. I love breaking it out on the right winter trip. But a canister stove is a fraction of the weight and works so much better for the majority of the year. No maintenance, no fiddling, just instant lighting and perfect flame control.
    I enjoy cooking on trail. I usually take frozen meats, cheese, farm eggs, vegetables. I’ve never been able cook with a pocket rocket type. I do have a canister stove with a large head that o am able to cool with but it’s heavy too.

Interesting - what's causing the issue with cooking? Probably worthy of a separate thread. I don't own a pocket rocket, but my ancient Snowpeak Giga stove has handled everything I've thrown at it (admittedly limited - I save most real cooking for when i'm home). I do know that the newer pocket rocket (Deluxe?) is supposed to have better flame adjustment and regulation than the original.

I'm not much of a fan of this type of pack - basically a sack with straps. The main problem is the SBS issue (Sweaty Back Syndrome). SBS is a problem with a lot of pack designs, but this type of pack is especially bad. The Zpacks Arc Series is the only UL pack which addresses this issue.

If your just doing one or two nights and not going very far, then I'd wouldn't bother with a new pack just yet. Work on reducing the weight of what you put in the pack first. Once you get it under 20 pounds, then look for an UL pack.

In the summer with good weather, I can do an overnight with about 10 pounds and 35L day pack. I get a Roast Beef sub on the way to the trail for dinner and a honey bun for breakfast. No need to cook.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I have had great experience with ULA. Started out with a Catalyst and now a Circuit. Based upon the weight you show above I would look into the Catalyst. Please also note every ounce you remove by eliminating something or buying lighter gear, is an investment that keeps paying returns every mile you walk.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Just got an SWD 50. Just around town so far, was going to SOBO this year, but oh well. 2021.

Brandon there let me add various colors of X-Pac pockets to the DCF main bag. Very unique look.

Seems to carry fine. And well made.

"I am slowly upgrading my equipment to bring down my pack weight."
    Have you considered upgrading your pack last?
    As you reduce the weight/size of the items in your pack, your pack size requirements and options will change.
    If you reach the proficiency of QiWiz, you can put everything in a stocking cap and just tie it to your belt.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

Quote Originally Posted by couscous View Post
    "I am slowly upgrading my equipment to bring down my pack weight."
    Have you considered upgrading your pack last?
    As you reduce the weight/size of the items in your pack, your pack size requirements and options will change.
    If you reach the proficiency of QiWiz, you can put everything in a stocking cap and just tie it to your belt.
    That is a great point. Also learning how to pack might help a lot too.

I tend to just stuff everything in the bag. Usually in order of set up. So sleeping system on the bottom then tent, food, kitchen, cloths(thermal pants/leggings for sleep) water, filter, snacks.

I see a lot of people strapping things to the outside or in the mesh pocket.

Maybe I should try my tent fly in the mesh outside?

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHiker View Post
    That is a great point. Also learning how to pack might help a lot too.

I tend to just stuff everything in the bag. Usually in order of set up. So sleeping system on the bottom then tent, food, kitchen, cloths(thermal pants/leggings for sleep) water, filter, snacks.

I see a lot of people strapping things to the outside or in the mesh pocket.

Maybe I should try my tent fly in the mesh outside?
    you really do want to reduce your load before you go UL on a pack. I have even seen some who are UL in their gear swear that their "heavier" pack still feels better than a UL pack because of the extra suspension. I have toyed with the idea of getting an Arc haul myself. With my current pack, 5 days food, 2Liters water and my poles in the pack I am only at 25lbs. My pack is fairly light as it is and I would likely have to go with a DCF pack to get lighter but I have also wondered if even adding a slightly heavier pack may just make carrying the load "that much more enjoyable."
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Good point guys. I guess I didn’t think of my comfort in all this.

Honestly my 3.5lb pack isn’t terrible. There is certainly a lot heavier 60L packs.

I think I might look for a used Osprey Levity to scratch the itch. That might be a good blend of comfort at UL.

Focus on your other gear first. Mike Clelland has written a couple of great books that can help work through the mindset of your gear selection. The idea isn't to go stupid light, but to consider options as you go and logically evaluate each thing you carry. If you were to knock 5-10 pounds of gear out of your pack, you could then save another pound or more in the pack itself while retaining the same comfort level. In many cases you may not even need to spend money on exotic gear - just simplify your loadout.

Then you wouldn't be happy with an ultralight pack. They're typically intended for TPW (total pack weight) of 25lbs max, and most frameless packs are going to be "happiest" in the 15-17 lb range. And for UL-oriented backpacking most folks will choose a light alcohol stove setup or a small topper canister stove with easy-prep food. A Dragonfly and frozen steaks is probably a deal buster for UL.

Images

I am slowly upgrading my equipment to bring down my pack weight. I’ve noticed I can shave 2-3lbs by just getting a new pack!

I currently use a Dueter 50 ACT lite (3lbs 8oz)

I was looking at either a Lite AF 46 or Superior Wilderness 50. Both are around 26oz

Anything as far as general use that I am not thinking about? Should I consider The Exos or another store bought option?

Just looking to get opinions on this. I mostly backpack a few nights max.
    https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...prey-levity-45

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gossamer-Ge...IAAOSwBJJejc5Y

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++