WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 10D vs 20D for tent

I'm considering two NatureHike tents on Aliexpress, which are knock-offs of the Big Agnes Fly Creek.

One uses 20D https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32890845144.html

And the other 10D https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000449836178.html

Should I expect the 10D to be really flimsy or should it be durable enough?

Thanks

Where do you intend to use this tent?

My very unscientific single opinion is that 20D is perfectly good. It's hard to tell exactly what the material is. I saw mention of silnylon with and without a PU coating listed for the fly for 20d. 10d HH rating only 2000mm but that's better than Big Agnes flys. Good enough. Looks like a weight difference of around 11 oz though? That's a lot! I wouldn't expect the 10d to last more than a few years of careful use for myself. Of course this depends on many factors. YMMV

I personally would just save up my moneys a little longer and buy a solid product from tarptent or some of the other more reputable cottage companies. Good luck!

I would be most concerned with floor Denier---and it's not listed on your links. My tents all have 100D floors---beefy and long lasting. Fly deniers are 40D---and floor hydrostatic head is 20,000mm.

This brings up the Buy Quality First policy---so you won't have to re-buy another cheaper tent after 70 or 80 nights---thereby saving money in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I would be most concerned with floor Denier---and it's not listed on your links. My tents all have 100D floors---beefy and long lasting. Fly deniers are 40D---and floor hydrostatic head is 20,000mm.

This brings up the Buy Quality First policy---so you won't have to re-buy another cheaper tent after 70 or 80 nights---thereby saving money in the long run.
    Is your tent the black version? Most durable Heleburg

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post

this is the UL forum bragging about specs from a Hillenberg is kinda not what this sub forum is about...

Quote Originally Posted by breathinghelium View Post
    I'm considering two NatureHike tents on Aliexpress, which are knock-offs of the Big Agnes Fly Creek.

One uses 20D https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32890845144.html

And the other 10D https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000449836178.html

Should I expect the 10D to be really flimsy or should it be durable enough?

Thanks
    both will be very light fabrics, that is the trade off when you go UL. treat it with a lot of care and it will be ok. i would go with the 20D personally. Lastly try to remember you are looking at the cheapest you can get and expect quality to match the price.

weight/quality/low price its a trade off 2 out of 3 are easy...

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Is your tent the black version? Most durable Heleburg
    Their so-called Black Label designation---Kerlon 1800 fly with urethane floor etc. And for ULers their Akto comes to mind or better yet their Enan at 2 lbs 10 ozs with 18.3 sq ft of room---same as the Akto. Here's the Enan---
    10338612x1010913_zm.jpg

And here's my Akto in action when I was in ultralight mode for a 19 day trip on the BMT---

AKTO WINTER 2015 001-XL.jpg

If the whole tent is made of the same weight fabric, they certainly aren't putting much effort into engineering to minimize weight and maximize durability. I sure as heck would want my floor to be heavier than 10D nylon (if I wanted a floor) while the fly and the tent upper would be find in a lighter fabric. I'm also a pretty big fan of the newer sil-poly fabrics for durability and waterproofness for their weight. If it's just SilNylon, the floor will seep moisture and if its just polyeurethane it will be heavier and less durable than the sil-poly stuff.

Good luck, and have fun.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

++ New Posts ++