WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: sleeping pad

Default sleeping pad

what pad do y'all like? i'm thinking about the thermarest neo air xlite short. i'm currently using a klymit static v insulated, which is ok but heavy and the R value rating,imo, seems off. i'm going to use the pad as a 3 season pad here in Tn. those of you that are using a short pad or have used one what's your opinion?

Unless your also short, get a full length pad. Having your feet (or worse some where around your knees) hang over the end of the pad isn't very comfortable. For what little weight it might add, the couple of extra inches is well worth it. The full length also helps keep the end of your bag off a potentially wet tent floor.

The neo air is a little marginal when temps are getting down around freezing so keeping all of you off the ground is important. I have a piece of CCF to put under the neo air in colder temp, which also doubles as a sit and kneeling pad.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I have had the regular size of the Neo Air Xlite for many years and very happy with it. I know some use the the short and put their emptied pack below their knees. Just like Slo-go'en I would recommend also going with the regular. If 3 season around TN the R Factor should be fine for you.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Some day I'm going to try a full length pad! I currently have a Nemo Tensor short mummy pad. It's 8 ounces and plenty comfortable and warm. Caveat - I always use a short (6-8 sections) z-rest pad under whatever inflatable I'm using. It adds warmth, protects the inflatable, and is enough in a pinch if the inflatable fails, which it inevitably will. My one failed inflatable was a Big Agnes, nice pad, and you know it failed on the one trip where I left the z-rest at home!

I didn't like the noise of the neo air - the Nemo is quiet.

I have a Thermarest neopad Xtherm Max. It is full length and 25” wide. Right around 1 lb. I’m 6’, 180 lbs. and use this pad backpacking the GSMP. Same pad all year long. I’m old and need to sleep so I can put the pack on in the morning to keep going. A sleep system is the last place to cut weight in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wore the squeak out of my NeoAir a long time ago I don't know what kind of pad the guy in the tent next to me on a shared AMC tent platform had, but it was insanely loud.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thermarest Ridgerest Classic or Solar, in long (25x77). Never fails, don't have to blow it up. Is bulky, but not heavy.
    Helps if you like a firm mattress at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Photodog View Post
    A sleep system is the last place to cut weight in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    my current pad, a klymit static v insulated, is 26 oz's on my kitchen scale. you can cut weight without sacrificing comfort. my main concern with a short pad is the width.

well, i just ordered a Sea to Summit Ultralight Insulated 3/4 length pad. got good reviews from several sources, 2" longer & 1 1/2" wider than thermarest & nemo but it's a bit heavier. i still cut my pad weight in more than half! thanks for the input guys!

Z rest always and forever.

Take a look at the Women’s NeoAir....a little better R value and a little cheaper. Paint a few stripes of silicone sealer on the bottom to reduce the high speed slip of nylon on nylon. I also use a Gossamer Gear thin foam pad (2.5 oz), banded by shock cord (3 mm) around the Neo. It stops sliding, adds insulation, and eliminates the Krinkle Symphony. Nighty night.

I like my xterm short 10 oz . Xlite short would work great for me .

thom

Question for those that have crunched the numbers on pads, how lite do they go for regular length?

I am trying to lower my pack weight and the big 4 is the obvious starting point. my pack is 59oz, quilt 25oz, pad Exped Synmat7 21.2oz, tent 43oz...

without getting paralysis by analysis... are there better options for pads for me WITHOUT giving up comfort, meaning I am not going to get a short pad or cut down a foamy? I might consider a Womens pad..?
    fyi I am a 210lb 6' side sleeper

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you're a stomach sleeper, I'd recommend the Therm-a-rest NeoAir Large. The thickness will keep things comfortable, and the large will keep your arms from hanging down off the sides. The weight is only 16oz. If you're a side sleeper, the regular size would do good enough for you and drops things to 12oz. However, the price will be $150 to 200 (maybe closer for a regular to $100 if there are any clearance sales on last year's stuff).

I use a Static V, but agree it is not warm. I only have been out in the summer. On one fall weekend the temp dropped more than expected and I got cold. Will need to upgrade for 3 season camping. For me it is important to have a wide pad. The common 20 inch wide pads are no good for me. My arms fall of the edge and really bugs me. What is annoying is that with many models, the wide pads only come on the long version and I don't really need the extra length.

Quote Originally Posted by needlefish View Post
    what pad do y'all like? i'm thinking about the thermarest neo air xlite short. i'm currently using a klymit static v insulated, which is ok but heavy and the R value rating,imo, seems off. i'm going to use the pad as a 3 season pad here in Tn. those of you that are using a short pad or have used one what's your opinion?
    3 season in TN, r value ~3 should be enough. I say "should be", because early spring and late fall can see some pretty low temps, and I don't know how warm or cold you sleep.
    Short pad is fine, too, assuming you find that comfortable, and again, unless it's really cold, in which case your feet can get cold while the rest of you is ok. I don't like the dropoff from a thick inflatable, so have only used thin torso length pads like the Thermarest GuideLite, ProLite and ZLite, and Klymit's Inertia X Lite Recon(for summer).
    I switched to full length inflatables awhile back, and after a learning period and a couple other pads, ended up with an Exped Downmat UL7 and Synmat Hyperlite.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHiker View Post
    ...pad Exped Synmat7 21.2oz...are there better options for pads for me WITHOUT giving up comfort, meaning I am not going to get a short pad or cut down a foamy? I might consider a Womens pad..?
    fyi I am a 210lb 6' side sleeper
    The regular 6' Synmat Hyperlite M is 12.9oz.
    For a side sleeper, it shouldn't be much of a compromise, since you don't need a lot of width, and the taper is less of a potential problem.

Feels like I'm pimping for Exped, all of a sudden

I use the REI Flash Air and have been very happy with it. I'm 6'2" so I have the long mummy, which measures 78 x 25 x 2" and gives me plenty of space. It has an R value of 3.2, which is enough on a 30 degree night in my hammock. All this for 21 oz is a pretty good combination for me.

well, i bought the sea to summit ultralight insulated short pad. the pad weighs 12oz's on my scale, w/o stuff /inflator bag. it measures, inflated, 23"x52", longer & wider than the listed specs. i'm 6', 190lbs & have slept comfortable in temps slightly above freezing

++ New Posts ++