WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Seki permit questions....

Recently applied for Seki permits for HST/JMT nobo starting sept 6th. How long before you typically get response? With the CV they are not taking calls. We bought cheap flights already sure hope can get permits! Talk about putting the cart before the horse but tickets under $250 from Jax to Fresno round trip with no change fees hard to pass up! Planning on 21 days..with resupply in independence, vvr and buying needed food/hiker box at reds and Tuolumne meadows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are still working through the permit request that were submitted at 12:00am on March 1. Last I heard they were up to the ones that had a 6-ish am time stamp on 3/1/2020. Check out the High Sierra Trail group on Facebook for updates. I have a request in for mid-September as well.

FYI - we went NOBO on the JMT last year and loved it!!

Good luck!
    You do know that there are places to hike for 3 weeks that don’t require permits or bear cans.
    Have fun!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by ADK Walker View Post
    They are still working through the permit request that were submitted at 12:00am on March 1. Last I heard they were up to the ones that had a 6-ish am time stamp on 3/1/2020. Check out the High Sierra Trail group on Facebook for updates. I have a request in for mid-September as well.

Ugg....didn’t think the HST in September would be a tough permit. Keep my fingers crossed! I did JMT as a flip flop out of mammoth several years back. My cousin really wants to do JMT so what the hell don’t think one could ever get tired of the Sierra....how are you getting into park mid sept? The shuttle from Visalia stops supposedly just after Labor Day otherwise id push dates back....

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Good luck!
    You do know that there are places to hike for 3 weeks that don’t require permits or bear cans.
    Have fun!
    Wayne
    Yea I realize this! I have a huge list! My cousin really wants to do JMT so what the hell...why not!

Fair enough. Y’all have fun!
    Worst case, use the free change feature and fly to somewhere close to the Continental Divide.
    Get lost for three weeks.
    Wyoming meets the criteria.
    Wayne

Not sure how I'm getting to the trailhead at this point either.

Images

The permit situation all along that hiking corridor is really confusing right now, not sure WHAT will come of it all. I have a PCT thru permit, started the trail and left it after a week due to CV concerns, but I'm still hoping to get back on the trail at, say, Kennedy Meadows and go north from there, perhaps in June. BUT: I heard something about all PCT permits basically are now invalidated this year?

Bottom line, it goes without saying, I think we just all have to be patient, and when things relax MAYBE 6 weeks or so from now, it will hopefully all become clear.

BTW: when we did the SHR, we flew into Fresno and scoped out an Uber ride to the Roads End trailhead, looks like an identical distance as your HST trailhead, I seem to remember $150. We wound up doing a search on the Fresno Craigslist, found a lady who gives rides, it came to $125 for the 5 of us total, including a tip. Check out the Fresno Craigslist for a possible ride.

OR: For additional permit possibilities, have you considered starting at Kennedy Meadows or Horseshoe Meadows and heading north from there? I have a contact (somewhere!) for rides from Bishop/Lone Pine. We flew to Reno once, Vegas another time, both times rented one-way cars returned in Bishop, grabbed hired shuttle rides to trailheads that way. Just scheming... I'll be in those part myself when things resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    The permit situation all along that hiking corridor is really confusing right now, not sure WHAT will come of it all. I have a PCT thru permit, started the trail and left it after a week due to CV concerns, but I'm still hoping to get back on the trail at, say, Kennedy Meadows and go north from there, perhaps in June. BUT: I heard something about all PCT permits basically are now invalidated this year?

Bottom line, it goes without saying, I think we just all have to be patient, and when things relax MAYBE 6 weeks or so from now, it will hopefully all become clear.

BTW: when we did the SHR, we flew into Fresno and scoped out an Uber ride to the Roads End trailhead, looks like an identical distance as your HST trailhead, I seem to remember $150. We wound up doing a search on the Fresno Craigslist, found a lady who gives rides, it came to $125 for the 5 of us total, including a tip. Check out the Fresno Craigslist for a possible ride.

OR: For additional permit possibilities, have you considered starting at Kennedy Meadows or Horseshoe Meadows and heading north from there? I have a contact (somewhere!) for rides from Bishop/Lone Pine. We flew to Reno once, Vegas another time, both times rented one-way cars returned in Bishop, grabbed hired shuttle rides to trailheads that way. Just scheming... I'll be in those part myself when things resolve.
    Appreciate the info CR! Yes horseshoe is a possibility as back up plan...think we’re going to wait a month or so to make call....our flights into of Fresno were under $250 so $125 doesn’t sound bad split by four...I see there is 20 permits issued daily and 10 saved for walk up so walk up is another option keep same itinerary but I’m lil leery of flying cross country with 4 needing a walk up wo any guarantee..

Quote Originally Posted by ADK Walker View Post

Recent reply...

++ New Posts ++