WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    18 Strong breaths inflates my 3/4 length thermorest (22 if I'm lazy). There is no need for an inflation bag. Just one more thing to mess with.
    One of the main reasons I started using an inflation bag is because my very first Neo-Air had issues with the reflective layer, and moisture seemed to make it more of an issue.
    So I've been using an inflation bag to minimize the amount of moisture in the pad as well as not having to blow 20 STRONG puffs. (It usually only takes me about 5 squeezes of a bag full of air, the bag being a light trashcan liner (draw strings cut out) with the AirTap to hold the bag on the pad while squeezing the air in). Then like Tipi, a few breaths to top it off.

BTW: Amazon has about 10 of the Therm-a-rest Air Taps in stock. They are in the expensive side ($19 compared to only $12-15 being the original full retail price). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NBF9Z8

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I thrued using a NeoAir, never had a leak. I rarely slept in shelters but when I did I used a Tyvek sheet, the same piece I use as a ground cloth.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I thrued using a NeoAir, never had a leak. I rarely slept in shelters but when I did I used a Tyvek sheet, the same piece I use as a ground cloth.
    I think this is good advice (shelters can have nails sticking up, etc. that can be a source of punctures). When sleeping on ground, I just use my tarp groundsheet, but when in a shelter, I am very careful to have something under my Neoair as well.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    I use a hammock, but carry a neoair for sleeping in shelters on trips where that makes sense. Rolled up in with the neoair I have a cut to size sheet of polycro that keeps the air mattress clean and safe from splinters. Super light, but does what is needed in a shelter.
    Same thing here except that I didn’t start my thru hike with a NeoAir. I used a Barco Lounger (You Tube it), which basically is a 1/8 inch Gossamer Pad sew in Tyvik. It was great as padding in a ULA Ohm pack, but just not thick enough for a good nights sleep. After, I purchased the Neo Air at the Gatlinburg NOC, I used the Barco Lounger under the Neo Air the rest of the thru hike. Now they come as a set for most trips.

Journal Entries

I used the tent floor, which is cuban fiber 'bathtub' and a netting around it during my thru hike. No holes. Though one night out watching the eclipse the next day with poor site selection, and yes I got some pin holes, even with that it still worked for the night as it lost air slow.

I went years using an old Therm-a-rest without anything under it. Never once had a puncture. I've had one on a newer pad I bought. They don't make them like they used to (in my best old man's voice). If it isn't winter I wouldn't worry about it much. In colder weather, especially if I'm sleeping on snow, I carry a foam pad as insurance.

I have a Neoair inflatable I purchased for the CDT. It got a hole in NM, so I purchased another one in NM. I was much more careful about campsites after that, and it finished the trail with me. I never used a footprint. That same pad did a 1,000 mile hike on the AT with no issues and no footprint. It also just got home from 10 days in the Arizona desert with no holes. I use Zpack shelters, which I think provide a little more protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Chain Saw View Post
    Wife and I are hangers and just switched to a tent in prep for our thru hike. Bought a Big Agnes inflatable pad. Do you peeps use anything underneath it in shelters or tents to either protect it or help with insulation?
    Always a tent floor or a ground sheet (including on wood shelter floors), rarely anything more.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I appreciate the feedback. Got the GG 1/8 pad bc it only added 3.5oz and got the inflation bag to replace the bag i used for my pillow. Much easier inflation. Thx for the help y’all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -This SUCKS...and I love it!
    Chain Saw

I use a Therm-a-Rest Z Lite under my inflatable pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Chain Saw View Post
    I appreciate the feedback. Got the GG 1/8 pad bc it only added 3.5oz and got the inflation bag to replace the bag i used for my pillow. Much easier inflation. Thx for the help y’all. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hope that works for you. Sounds like a great combo. I personally never used an inflation bag, but each to their own! Keep HikN^!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Greggs View Post
    I use a Therm-a-Rest Z Lite under my inflatable pad.
    The nice thing about that is even a worst-case scenario for the inflatable (such as an un-repairable leak), you still have SOMETHING to lay on.

But it seems impractical for most applications.

Based on "regular" size pads (20"x72"):
    The Z-Lite is heavier than a NeoAir XLite and less than half the R rating:
    Z-Lite: 14oz - R-2.0
    XLite: 12oz - R-4.2

Even if you just wanted the Z-Lite to given you more insulation in the winter, the NeoAir XTherm is only 15oz at R-6.9.
    Of course $215 for an XTherm is hard to swallow compared to a $40 Z-Lite.

But that's just getting back to the triplet rule of camping gear:
    Light Weight
    Low Cost
    High Quality/Durability
    Pick 2

I unzip my rain skirt and put it flat underneath my NeoAir Uberlite as an extra lyer of protection.
    Follow My Hiking Adventures: http://www.youtube.com/SaraDhooma
    Or if you just like photos: http://instagram.com/scifi_sara

Interesting topic! I recently converted to using a quilt and was wondering about fitted sheets for pads. Exped has a mat sheet and mat cover. the cover has a nylon back and fabric top. the description on the sheet isn't as good, fabric top and mesh sides , doesn't mention the bottom.

I could prob make something like a really long pillow case fairly easy too...

thoughts?

I also use a ground sheet with my tents. I mad mine out of tyvek and its slightly smaller that the one that's made for the tent. In a pinch I can use it as a ground cover for my pad too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++