WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Exclamation Baxter delays 2020 season until at least July 1st.

From the Park Director:
    Baxter delays 2020 season until at least July 1st.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

A very wise decision. Maine is nowhere near "peak" for this virus.

welp there goes my weekend at Daicy. kinda was holding out a slim hope we could still go.

Seems a bit far off. That's like another month and a half out. I know Maine absolutely hates the "thru hiker" but this is ridiculous.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    Seems a bit far off. That's like another month and a half out. I know Maine absolutely hates the "thru hiker" but this is ridiculous.
    Kind of a broad baseless statement that shows your ignorance. I guess you are one of the minority that thinks you are "special".

Maine has a pretty deep snowpack this year so it was probably going to be a late opening.

It is actually “like” 2.5 months out. It does seem a ways out. I doubt there is any hatred involved, nor given the authorities consulted, any meteorology.

Not sure about Maine ie. Baxter SP hating Thru Hikers. The rangers and staff were very nice and helpful when I arrived. Allowed me to store my gear in their office so I only had to take needed supplies to summit.

Images

BSP did not make this decision with any one group in mind. It is all about doing their part to help discourage the spread of the virus. Baxter is located in the middle of Maine. Many people come from out of state to head to the park, stopping along the way for food, groceries, lodging, etc. This furthers the spread of the virus. Many people from out of state are already bringing the virus to Maine with them. Yes, it was already here. But, tourists are causing waves of the virus to breakout. Each new wave resets the clock toward Maine reaching peak.

In addition, there are no bathrooms in the park. There are outhouses, but no places for people to wash their hands. When people don't wash their hands, they help to spread the virus. The door handles to the outhouses are the perfect way to transfer the virus to the next host. Social distancing is also a problem on sections of the trails.

Baxter is simply doing their part to not encourage tourists to Maine at this time. It's nothing personal, Baxter just wants to do their part to ensure their guests have as safe a visit as possible.

I know Maine absolutely hates the "thru hiker" but this is ridiculous.
    Someone lied to you.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Just made camping reservations for August. BSP staff super helpful.
    .com

Please keep hiking related Covid-19 posts to one of these two threads:
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...king-this-year
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...-Pandemic-quot

Thanks.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.