Journal Entries
    Images

Default Getting about getting into Idyllwild?

I am doing some research on the PCT and have a question about getting into Idyllwild, CA. from the trail.

I see there are two options for getting into Idyllwild.
    One is the southern option for getting off at Pin-to-Palms Hwy 74 and hitching in.

The other option a little north on the trail says at the Saddle junction to take Devils Side Trail.
    It looks like Devils Side Trail leads to a place called Humber Park.
    What happens when you get to Humble Park?
    Can you thumb or hitch in from here?
    Or do you road walk the 2.7 miles into Idyllwild?
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

You've identified the two best options, here's my experience with both:

The highway 74 option is better know as the Paradise Cafe option, it's about a mile from the actual PCT to the cafe, DEFINITELY worth a stop. They even accept resupply boxes. When I stopped there 2 years ago, our table was asked if anyone needed a lift into Idyllwild, basically there seem to be lots of locals that like doing that, so I partook, then got a ride back to the cafe after town, easy to do, and hiked on.

The other option, the Devil's slide trail down to Humbar park also seems to have easy hitch options, according to everything I heard. When I stayed in Idyllwild, during checkout, my hotel lady asked if I needed a ride to either Humbar park or to Idyllwild (edit: woops meant to say Paradise Cafe).

Worst case, like if you hike down from the PCT to Humbar late in the day or something, is that you have to walk the 2.7 downhill to town, guaranteed someone will give you a ride back to Humbar after town stay the next day.

ALL above comments, needless to say, are pre-CV19 days, for example, if you plan on hitting the trail this late spring/early summer, those rides might be much tougher to get.
    Last edited by colorado_rob; 04-17-2020 at 19:51.

Best chocolate shake I've ever had was at that cafe.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    You've identified the two best options, here's my experience with both:

The highway 74 option is better know as the Paradise Cafe option, it's about a mile from the actual PCT to the cafe, DEFINITELY worth a stop. They even accept resupply boxes. When I stopped there 2 years ago, our table was asked if anyone needed a lift into Idyllwild, basically there seem to be lots of locals that like doing that, so I partook, then got a ride back to the cafe after town, easy to do, and hiked on.

The other option, the Devil's slide trail down to Humbar park also seems to have easy hitch options, according to everything I heard. When I stayed in Idyllwild, during checkout, my hotel lady asked if I needed a ride to either Humbar park or to Idyllwild (edit: woops meant to say Paradise Cafe).

Worst case, like if you hike down from the PCT to Humbar late in the day or something, is that you have to walk the 2.7 downhill to town, guaranteed someone will give you a ride back to Humbar after town stay the next day.

ALL above comments, needless to say, are pre-CV19 days, for example, if you plan on hitting the trail this late spring/early summer, those rides might be much tougher to get.
    Thank you Colorado Rob

I am not planning to hike it anytime soon. Maybe someday but immediately. I am just looking into it and doing sort of a virtual hike by looking it over.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Thank you Colorado Rob

I am not planning to hike it anytime soon. Maybe someday but immediately. I am just looking into it and doing sort of a virtual hike by looking it over.
    Fly it with google earth flight simulator!!! Ton of fun, try it out. It does take a little while to learn how to "fly", but not too bad. Load the KML file for the PCT into google earth and fly the whole trail. I cannot remember where I got the KML file, maybe Bearcreek? Maybe Postholer? Let me know if you try and can't find it.

++ New Posts ++