WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Any updates on Front Royal AT Crossing on Hwy 522?

Anyone have any recent experience on parking along 522 outside of Front Royal? Are they still allowing parking there and has it gotten crowded? I’m hoping to sneak out next week to do the section from there N to Harpers Ferry. Don’t want to drive all the way and have no place to leave the truck.

I don't have information, but you could try Mountain Home B&B and hostel 540-692-6198. they are .25 miles east and they would know the answer Scott and Lisa are great. They might let you park there if they are no full.

Images

Shenandoah National park Posted signs at all trailheads last week closing entire Park. I parked at small Trailhead parking lot in Linden off rt 55 (tucker rd 725) Monday and hiked North toward Manassas Gap shelter. Parking lot in Thompson Wildlife Management area on Blue Mt. has posted closed signs. I have not been by 522 access point in a while.

Has the ATC recommended hiking on the AT again? I must have missed the announcement. If not, what are you doing?

Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm View Post
    Has the ATC recommended hiking on the AT again? I must have missed the announcement. If not, what are you doing?
    Seriously. I'm sure there's plenty of hiking to be done in and around Hickory, NC. No reason to be travelling to an entirely different state right now to hike.

Quote Originally Posted by dsccwells View Post
    Anyone have any recent experience on parking along 522 outside of Front Royal? Are they still allowing parking there and has it gotten crowded? I’m hoping to sneak out next week to do the section from there N to Harpers Ferry. Don’t want to drive all the way and have no place to leave the truck.
    You can park at the 4-H conference center in Front Royal and access the trail from their parking lot.

Journal Entries
    Images

There's the little spot on VA601 below the Tom Floyd wayside shelter area too.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

I drove to the 522 trailhead this morning. 5 of 6 parking spots were filled. Don't know if they spent the night or not. I didn't notice any signage concerning the trail being closed.

Scott

I appreciate the feedback. I was not aware of the 4H center but took advantage of their parking after registering with them and making a donation on their website. It’s a good alternative to leaving a vehicle on the highway. Not to ignite an argument on sheltering in place but I did want to explain my logic in hiking that section. I got off trail at Front Royal in March when things began to get bad, resupply was becoming difficult and I wanted to see how the virus was progressing before finishing the final 54 miles of my flip flop hike. At this point both VA and WV specifically permit outdoor exercise including hiking as long as social distancing is practiced. That is not difficult to accomplish on the trail even with greater numbers of day hikers mid week. I needed that section to finish my thru hike and the trail is open to Harpers Ferry. I was able to complete my hike without coming into close contact with anyone aside from my hiking partner. All things considered, whether its in NC or VA, getting on an open trail right now is a healthy way to maintain sanity.

Large parking area on Tucker’s Lane just north of that spot was wide open

The trail doesn’t have tape or signs saying don’t enter so that’s permission for some to enter I presume

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    The trail doesn’t have tape or signs saying don’t enter so that’s permission for some to enter I presume
    Yes it is. Most of the trail itself was never closed, just parking, trail heads, and shelter areas.
    Last edited by Christoph; 05-08-2020 at 11:27.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Since the OP stated the hike is finished, no need to keep open.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++