WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Trowel test

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Actually,I think Colorado Rob is on to something with the modified version.Looks like the modified would blast thru small roots if you had a rock handy.......
    I'm in total agreement.

Interestingly, the snow stake that he (Colorado Rob) modified, and the one perrymk used in the test are pretty similar. As in they both have only four holes in them (not counting the little one up top), and are shorter than the one I posted a photo of, which has six holes. I found some like perrymk used (4 holes, alum, 1.5inch wide), from the same place as per the pdf. I'll take it with me for a while and see if I prefer it over my deuce #2. I can't say I've had any "real" issues with the deuce #2 fwiw, but if the snow stake is noticeably better...

Photo of one like perrymk used for his testing. Only four holes.

willin'

I think it's great to test gear in an evidence-based fashion. One result that surprised me was this one:

Practical Test Overview
    Push into lawn Dig a hole
    QW Mega Dig Easy Moderate Good Comfortable
    QW Big Dig Difficult Uncomfortable Moderate Uncomfortable

The Big Dig is thinner than the Mega Dig. They both should have been very easy to push into grass turf, so was surprised that it was Easy with one and Difficult with the other in the testing.

On a lighter note, trowel afficionados may enjoy this digging contest, shared with me by PCT hikers who are comparing an Orignal QiWiz trowel with a U-Dig-It (I think). Makes me smile.
    <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); white-space: normal; background-color: rgb(235, 235, 235);">
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I was surprised at first, but as I tested I soon came to realize handle comfort affects performance. The larger QW Mega Dig is simply more comfortable to me than the QW Big Dig.

Since packing out the degradable wet wipes is the proper LNT procedure...curious what kind of bag or bags you place used wipes in...can’t imagine a CLEAR ziplock in my back mesh pocket of my pack..I’d say that would be a ****ty sight to see...dog poop bags? Just bought my first trowel with rei dividend. For years I’ve used the heel, trekking pole etc but never gave thought about proper depth etc...the deuce#2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can find unscented pet disposal bags on Amazon.I keep a couple bags in my poop kit as it is really no big deal to carry out the paper.(I hang it at night separate from the food bag but on the same line.)

FWIW - Storing ones "waste bag" in a clear plastic bag and stuffing into in a side pocket for the world to see says a lot about an individual. For the task of hiding TP and masking odors I use self sealing baggies. I will put the baggie into something like a chip bag or dog poop bag (or any opaque bag that hides contents) for some added visual and odoriferous protection and store in a bright colored stuff sack I use to contain litter that can't be mistaken for any other use. Typically I will store the stuff sack in a side pocket on the pack. This protects the pack contents from exposure and a fairly easy way to shed this material when I find a trash can.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    FWIW - Storing ones "waste bag" in a clear plastic bag and stuffing into in a side pocket for the world to see says a lot about an individual. For the task of hiding TP and masking odors I use self sealing baggies. I will put the baggie into something like a chip bag or dog poop bag (or any opaque bag that hides contents) for some added visual and odoriferous protection and store in a bright colored stuff sack I use to contain litter that can't be mistaken for any other use. Typically I will store the stuff sack in a side pocket on the pack. This protects the pack contents from exposure and a fairly easy way to shed this material when I find a trash can.
    Shazam!That's the same way I handle mine.Tp goes in a sanitary bag which goes into my orange 1 liter bag which goes into the larger poop kit bag that contains tp,soap,hand sanitizer,wyzi wipes,and a few baby wipes.Makes it easy to retrieve the orange bag and hang on the line at night separate from the food bag.

Just curious, after all this testing effort, which trowel worked the best in the rocks?? A large portion of the AT is quite rocky and finding a "soft" or diggable spot is near impossible. What do we do then?
    I usually just hold mine until I come to a privy or town or hostel or....

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    Just curious, after all this testing effort, which trowel worked the best in the rocks?? A large portion of the AT is quite rocky and finding a "soft" or diggable spot is near impossible. What do we do then?
    Check out the results of the pry test.
    I don't like to say there is a winner as what is important to me may not be as important to someone else. I tried to provide information so everyone could decide for themselves what is their best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    Check out the results of the pry test.
    I don't like to say there is a winner as what is important to me may not be as important to someone else. I tried to provide information so everyone could decide for themselves what is their best choice.
    Ok thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    I usually just hold mine until I come to a privy or town or hostel or....
    You could always use the doggie bag method until you find better ground.........

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Since packing out the degradable wet wipes is the proper LNT procedure...curious what kind of bag or bags you place used wipes in...can’t imagine a CLEAR ziplock in my back mesh pocket of my pack..I’d say that would be a ****ty sight to see...dog poop bags? Just bought my first trowel with rei dividend. For years I’ve used the heel, trekking pole etc but never gave thought about proper depth etc...the deuce#2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To get the most out of wet wipes and TP, I use a fold method. Wipe, fold so that "dirty" part is on the inside, wipe again, fold again... until finally the last fold leaves all the "dirty" on the inside. So even if you store that in a clear ziploc, there's really not much to see.

But then, as others have said, the ziploc is eventually stored inside some other opaque bag.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    The snow stake did OK except that it's digging effectiveness is hampered by it's narrow width. I provide photos and a few sentences of review in the PDF.
    I started with a snow stake. Moved to a deuce and now carry a vargo while my wife uses a deuce.

I am now wondering about sharpening a snow stake to see if that improves its performance in the field.

But I’ve liked the Vargo (which I got for free). Especially when dealing with small roots.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    I have the small QiWiz titanium trowel and found nowhere along the AT that I couldn't dig one... may have had to start a new hole a few times. Still surprises me how good it works for weight/size. I probably dug more holes then privys used to.
    Thanks for the trowel love!
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++