WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The one time I took the hiker shuttle to the summit of Washington in late June, I was able to see the ocean. An hour later it was already clouding up.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

There is book out there called Scudders viewing guide and I believe its has a section on why you typically can not see the ocean from the top of Mt Washington except in the morning when the sun angle is low enough to reflect off the water. Its been awhile but I think its even gave guidelines on what of day at different times of the day someone would have to be there. On the other hand its not unusual to be able to see Mt Washington the ocean.

BTW the autoroad in the past few years offered reservation only monthly sunrise viewing events where they opened early to let folks see the sunrise. Obviously everything is up in the air this year.

The warning about sunburn is real. I grew up in South Flordia and rarely ever get one, but coming down Madision I was exposed on a sunny day (for which I was grateful), and the back of my neck got pretty red. Also some on my scalp as the wind was blowing too hard to keep a hat on. Of course you will be moving faster than me, but still not a bad idea to have a little sun screen lotion, even if it is not something you usually need.

The AT is the green tunnel where I usually loose my tan on my summer section hikes, but walking on the ridge above treeline is an exception, especially on a clear sunny day.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Trip Update:
    Both friends bailed.
    My wife wanted to go and to be a full time support for 2 weeks.
    We have an AirBnB in Bethel, a rental car for 2 weeks and I will be doing a mix of 2-3 night overnight sections, along with 5-6 day hikes to complete the rest of NH and up into ME however far I end up.
    She is working very hard on her masters and has never been to NH, nor ME so this will give her distraction free time to work on that, visit some new states and fulfill her want to support me while on trail.
    It will help me greatly in NH/ ME logistics, resupply, packweights etc.

With the way long distance hiking has been due to Covid this year, I feel that this is the safest, most logical way to both hike in 2020 and realistically complete NH and ME as a section hiker.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Trip Update:
    Both friends bailed.
    We have an AirBnB in Bethel, a rental car for 2 weeks and I will be doing a mix of 2-3 night overnight sections, along with 5-6 day hikes to complete the rest of NH and up into ME however far I end up.
    She is working very hard on her masters and has never been to NH, nor ME so this will give her distraction free time to work on that, visit some new states and fulfill her want to support me while on trail.
    It will help me greatly in NH/ ME logistics, resupply, packweights etc.

With the way long distance hiking has been due to Covid this year, I feel that this is the safest, most logical way to both hike in 2020 and realistically complete NH and ME as a section hiker.
    Still planning to start June 20th?
    Looking forward to your trip report. Have a great and safe hike!
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Still planning to start June 20th?
    Looking forward to your trip report. Have a great and safe hike!
    Not quite but within a week of june 20th. For some reason I am weird about reporting start days sometimes lol

I guess like most everywhere else, it's gotten crazy busy around here all of a sudden. (they lifted the ban on 4K qualification) Weekends are of course nuts. The good news is the Dolly Copp campground is open. Be sure to arrive mid week or it could be full.

Just be sure to check - I had seen it posted somewhere that ME was asking for a recent negative test for those visiting from some areas, so you'd want to be sure if that was needed for either/both of you.

If you aren't aware of it, here are Maine's requirements for out of state visitors, including out of state lodgers at AirBnB. https://www.maine.gov/covid19/restar...epmainehealthy.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Bethel has a recently opened Maine Mineral Museum that has gotten a lot of good press. All the trail crossings in Maine are readily accessible, I would not punish your wife by forcing her to drive on Success Pond Road. Its a very rough and slow some years and cell coverage is bad. If you want to break up the Mahoosucs you can get at the eastern half from North Road in Shelburne. There is good cell coverage along RT 2 but once you get off it, it degrades down in the notches. Make your calls while up on the ridge facing south. The shortest blue blaze to the road is from Gentian Pond via Austin Brook trail. You can save a mile of walking by being picked up or dropped off on Mill Brook road, an improved dirt road that turns off North Road in Shelburne. The other lesser used blue blaze is the Goose Eye trail that goes south from the Mahoosuc trail to Bull Branch road. Bull Branch road is a dead end extension to the Sunday River road that starts in Bethel and then cuts into Newry Me. Drive all the way to the end of the road and take a left over Twin Bridges then an immediate right. the end of the road is blocked with the Goose Eye trailhead to the left. Bull Branche stream is popular local swimming spot. East B Hill road and South Arm road are accessed from Andover and are excellent dirt roads. There is logging road that ends near the AT between Blue and Elephant but I am unsure what condition the Road is. Height of Land on Rt 17 is an excellent paved state highway but infested with Moose who will walk out f the woods across the road with no care if you are speeding at them. That said the views from Height of Land are about as good as it gets. Sunset or sunrise are both worth the wait.

I drove the Success pond road to the Goose Eye trail head the other day. Wasn't toooo bad. Rough in the usual spots where the ATVers tear it up, but relatively short. Still, high clearance and all wheel drive is recommended. And it takes about a half hour to go the 8 miles at 15 mph. Look out for the yahoos with big trucks, one almost skidded into me coming around a corner too fast!

All-
    Grafton to EB Hill - 10.3 miles
    EB Hill to S Arm Rd - 10.1 Miles
    S Arm rd to ME17 - 13.3 Miles

Are these 3 reasonable day hikes?

All-

Definitely for you. It pretty much what I did there last summer, and I am old and slow.

Trip Update:
    Both friends bailed.
    We have an AirBnB in Bethel, a rental car for 2 weeks and I will be doing a mix of 2-3 night overnight sections, along with 5-6 day hikes to complete the rest of NH and up into ME however far I end up. . . .With the way long distance hiking has been due to Covid this year, I feel that this is the safest, most logical way to both hike in 2020 and realistically complete NH and ME as a section hiker.
    How does your plan not violate NH's rule for visitors from out-of-state to self-quarantine for 14 days? I don't see the if-you-test-negative exemption that Maine has or the if-you-come-from-county-that-has-under-400-active-cases-per-million exemption that Vermont has. I'm asking because I'd like to legally hike in NH too.

https://www.covidguidance.nh.gov/out-state-visitors

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    How does your plan not violate NH's rule for visitors from out-of-state to self-quarantine for 14 days? I don't see the if-you-test-negative exemption that Maine has or the if-you-come-from-county-that-has-under-400-active-cases-per-million exemption that Vermont has. I'm asking because I'd like to legally hike in NH too.

https://www.covidguidance.nh.gov/out-state-visitors
    Covid will not be discussed in this thread. Tired of hearing about it. If we cant discuss the hike, shut down the thread and i will just go walk like i intend to do regardless of the comments here.

I am looking for helpful information only at this time thanks
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 06-17-2020 at 09:33.

All-

Yep, perfect day hikes. MY GF and I wanted an overnight when we did S. Arm to 17, so we stopped at the lake, an early day, and continued the next morning. Two short days, but it was fun being out for the weekend. I think its Swift Pond campsite, or something like that. Worst privy I've seen on the AT. I think they've since replaced it with the new ADA compliant ones. Those things are a mansion!

Just a warning, those are some steep up and downs in those three days, but they aren't tall hills. It will probably be hot and muggy. Hall Mountain and Old Blue made me physically ill. Two of the three times I remember bonking while hiking.

Covid will not be discussed in this thread. Tired of hearing about it. If we cant discuss the hike, shut down the thread and i will just go walk like i intend to do regardless of the comments here.

The most helpful information anyone can give you is what you will face in NH or ME if you do not follow COVID-19 protocols. In those states, as well as Vermont, the confirmed cases are pretty low because people are following the protocols. You won't be able to get lodging and you may not find anyone willing to shuttle you if you don't follow the state protocols.

Quote Originally Posted by rubyvermonter View Post
    The most helpful information anyone can give you is what you will face in NH or ME if you do not follow COVID-19 protocols. In those states, as well as Vermont, the confirmed cases are pretty low because people are following the protocols. You won't be able to get lodging and you may not find anyone willing to shuttle you if you don't follow the state protocols.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Yep, perfect day hikes. MY GF and I wanted an overnight when we did S. Arm to 17, so we stopped at the lake, an early day, and continued the next morning. Two short days, but it was fun being out for the weekend. I think its Swift Pond campsite, or something like that. Worst privy I've seen on the AT. I think they've since replaced it with the new ADA compliant ones. Those things are a mansion!

Just a warning, those are some steep up and downs in those three days, but they aren't tall hills. It will probably be hot and muggy. Hall Mountain and Old Blue made me physically ill. Two of the three times I remember bonking while hiking.
    You have always been a great source for useful information! I am excited to see how this adventure goes

People telling you about the changing Covid-19 regulations regarding out-of-state visitors should be considered helpful since it helps you to abide by the laws of the state you are visiting.

To meet the state's quarantine requirements, visitors must attest that they "remained at a home for at least 14 days before arriving in New Hampshire, only going out for essential items and when outside of the home maintaining social distancing and wearing face masks when within less than 6 feet of another person during this 14 day 'quarantine.'"

Besides that, part of the WB user agreement states

4. Discussions involving how to commit illegal acts, or involving the use, production and/or distribution of illegal drugs are forbidden.
    Since you have told me personally you will have satisfied both NH and ME's conditions for out-of-state travelers, I have reopened the thread. There are no further issues there legally so no further discussion is necessary regarding pandemic regulations.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++