Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    .......And both things, treating water and the 2-second fairly automatic act of putting on a seatbelt have practically zero downside and hassle factor.

So most of us just do it, zero biggie.
    You are right zero biggie.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    That dear D2maine depends on how you choose to manage your filtering.
    And, I for one find filtering as I drink from a bottle awkward and slow and a bit hard to manage the flow well if I'm huffing and puffing, and overall downright annoying. But hey, kinda like whether or not to filter, we each have own fears, priorities and pet peeves, and level of risk avoidance.

I may well have developed immunity as a kid to some of our more common water born diseases as, when I'm backpacking, I drink much more "wild water" than I do treated water, and at 58 years old, to my knowledge, I have never been sick from it. That being said, treating is super easy and it allows me to comfortably drinking from a lot of water sources I would not other comfortable drinking from. So, I'm fully support treating water for those that feel inclined in places they feel inclined to do so. I do. I also think it's silly to suggest everyone should treat all their water all the time as many of us have enjoyed hiking many 1000's of miles and drinking many hundreds of gallons of untreated water from all kinds of places without ill effect. And, as noted above, it's not like giardia or chrypto have a high likelihood of killing us. To some, the risk of illness is small and the price of treatment (no matter how small to you) is more than we want to pay.

HYOH
    you are choosing to make filtering more difficult and time consuming than it needs to be for your reasons - that does not mean filtering is time consuming or difficult for everybody compared to not filtering(as your previous post implied)

HYOH but don't set up hurdles then say see its more work...

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    tried the micro and the mini - went back to the tried and true squeeze, the micro and the mini both were not worth the added hassles for the weight savings...
    The mini I can understand... it obviously has a lower flow. But was is the issue with the Micro? I thought it was supposed to be as good of a flow rate as the squeeze in a smaller package.

Always and forever for me. I do a lot of short trips in places like the Cumberland Plateau, where I'm getting water from creeks and rivers down in gorges. The water is typically beautiful, clear and inviting, and invariably drains from the surrounding areas with lots of agriculture, poo from things that moo, and things of that nature. It's become so ingrained that it never crosses my mind not to filter first, no matter where I am.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    The mini I can understand... it obviously has a lower flow. But was is the issue with the Micro? I thought it was supposed to be as good of a flow rate as the squeeze in a smaller package.
    I have both, and my Micro is about as fast. Close enough there's no practical difference if you're squeezing. I've never used it as a gravity filter, so can't speak to that. If it does slow down, I'll just buy another. I don't care about the weight, but am all about minimizing bulk, and like the Micro's smaller size.

I have used the Sawyer Squeeze,Mini,and Micro.I liked the size of the Micro and the acceptable flow rate.I don't like to squeeze and usually gravity feed as I feel like squeezing stresses the bag and I can usually do some other chore while gravity does it's thing.

Now that I own the Versa Flow Hydro Blue I will likely not go back to any other brand.It's great as a gravity or a squeeze filter and the overall profile is compact and not too bulky.The flow rate is more than adequate too.It weighs a couple ounces,has color coded ends with caps so that the filter will not leak if stored in the pack or pocket.Cost is around $20 on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    for me the flow slowed down faster than i liked, required more back flushing...so i went back to what i knew best.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

for me the flow slowed down faster than i liked, required more back flushing...so i went back to what i knew best.
    Only time I've had an issue with slowed flow in the field was...
    1. Didn't test the filter after winter storage... apparently got clogged with mineral deposits and had almost zero flow.
    2. In a three week trip on the JMT, I was back flushing every other day, but noticed decreased flow as time went along. I came to the unscientific conclusion that the combination of hard water and very dry conditions was causing a slow mineral deposit build up.
    In both cases I was using the Mini.

. . . HYOH but don't set up hurdles then say see its more work...
    I like that . . . HYOH "BUT".

I'm sorry. I still disagree with your statement above.
    You cannot reasonably suggest that filtering is not more work. It is. You are carrying another item that weighs a bit, takes up space, and has more resistance to flow. Yeah, thank goodness the extra work is small (especially compared to those old pump filters) but what is small to one person is inconvenient or annoying or aesthetically displeasing to someone else (not buts about it).

So, no matter how you look at it, and no matter who is doing it, adding filtering to your practice IS setting up hurdles and making more work. To you, the hurdles and work are small and insignificant. To me the hurdles are small and slightly annoying. To someone else they may be unacceptable and insurmountable. Frankly I don't care either way. BUT, I do care when someone suggests that what is no problem for them must therefore be no problem for everyone else.

But most of all. Get out there. Treat your water as you will. And, have fun!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++