WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ultra light beach awning

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if any of our favorite cottage manufacturers design and produce a shade/awning to protect from the sun at the beach.

I understand this is a hiking forums but I think the skillset and ingenuity are here and synergistic. It would ideally be ultralight and accommodated as airline carry on. Sunbrella and other contraptions found at Wally World & Friends are bulky and heavy and China made. If no ultralight solution exists, this is maybe a new market with potentially large volume! Anyone?

A regular hammock tarp may be the closest thing but typically requires trees or hiking poles which are not typically packed as part of beach gear!

Minos

Not sure if it will suit your needs but LL Bean used to sell what it seems you're looking for. I purchased one for my daughter when her first child was born so they'd have some protection from the sun when they went to the beach. You might want to check out Bean's website and see what they have.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Images

We got the Sun Ninja canopy for our family trip to the beach this summer. It was pretty lightweight and worked well in normal conditions. Not so much in thunderstorms with ~30 mph winds, but at least it was pretty easy and quick to take it down.

I have used a 5x7 Walmart tarp at the beach. I did bring hiking poles to set it up as a lean-to. The only problem was the stakes. I used both snow stakes and those yellow plastic x stakes but found nether to be satisfactory on a windy beach. This was at Lake Canopus which has a side trail to the AT in Fahnestock SP in NY.

Cottage manufacturers can do well when cutting edge /complex designs/exotic materials are required but I don't see any of those beign able to even remotely compete with Chinese facrories that make thousands or tens of thousands of each of those items.

Quote Originally Posted by hikermiker View Post
    I have used a 5x7 Walmart tarp at the beach. I did bring hiking poles to set it up as a lean-to. The only problem was the stakes. I used both snow stakes and those yellow plastic x stakes but found nether to be satisfactory on a windy beach. This was at Lake Canopus which has a side trail to the AT in Fahnestock SP in NY.
    . Rather than stakes, could you take a plastic grocery bag and fill it with sand, and tie that off where stakes would be?

++ New Posts ++