WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Black fly season this year near Gorham NH

With the weather this year anybody got guesses on when Black Fly season will start and end? Looking to do the NH part north of Androscoggin River. Once things open back up but I don't want to fight the black flies. Of course the normal trip reports are a bit thin this year.
    Thanks
    RDL

Hard tell'en, not know'en To be safe you have to wait until October...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Standard answer is the black flies come visiting for Mothers day and dont leave until fathers day. It has been a cooler than average April and the beginning of May is also predicted to be the same so that might delay them a bit. The western end of the Mahoosuc trail tends to get swarmed by mosquitoes all the way to Mt Success. They come in after the black flies leave. Usually things dry out by late June.

They weren't out today, but I suspect it might not be too much longer. All depends on how the rest of the month pans out. Still plenty of snow to melt around here first. Those little relentless Mahoosuc mosquitoes are even worse then the black flies.

Thanks, did the Maine side last September and it was not bad at all was hoping to get a spring hike in but it is not looking good.
    thank you

Have not seen any insects of any kind anywhere yet. No sign of Robin's either. Very strange.

Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    Have not seen any insects of any kind anywhere yet. No sign of Robin's either. Very strange.
    I had like 12 Robins in my yard the other day. Some of them looked like they were about ready to lay some eggs. Haven't found any ticks (or no ticks have found me) yet. But then, haven't spent much time in the woods yet due to the rainy/snowy weather and muddy trails. Mostly been walking the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I had like 12 Robins in my yard the other day. Some of them looked like they were about ready to lay some eggs. Haven't found any ticks (or no ticks have found me) yet. But then, haven't spent much time in the woods yet due to the rainy/snowy weather and muddy trails. Mostly been walking the road.
    So that's where they all are.

++ New Posts ++