WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default I qualify for TNF first responders coupon, I’ve never bought high end gear. What do t

I’ve never purchased any high end gear. I have an opportunity to get 50% off at TNF. Is there anything they have that I should consider?

I am pretty set gear wise.. I was thinking clothes.. base layers, rain/wind breaker, new puffy?

To be honest, as someone else who is also set gear wise, there isn't anything that TNF offers that I would be interested in.

Use this as a good reason to replace some older items maybe? Their futurelight rain jackets seem to breathe a bit better than most traditional rain jackets. Or maybe a new puffy but again, they don't really offer anything that would be of interest to me compared to other companies.

EDIT: I would maybe buy a good TNF gear hauler duffle bag. Store all your first responder gear.

I don't have much from tnf, but I have gotten a lot of great use out of the thermoball jacket. It's a 12 oz synthetic puffy style jacket and it's kept me warm in damp conditions and surprisingly hasn't ripped after a few years of moderate use.
    I use it more for cold weather active use or a versatile piece on shorter trips where dampness is an issue.

I also only got it because I saw at 60% off... not worth near the retail price, like most of their stuff.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

TNF used to be excellent. I still own a sleeping bag from about 1990 & a fleece from 1994. Today's TNF is junk. I went through a fleece in 2000 and a Goretex coat of about the same vintage in about 5 years. TNF made the business decision to tailor their products to mall walkers and pre-madonnas. Their clothing is no longer for the serious outdoorsman.
    Be Prepared

I also qualify for the discount and bought a new backpack for work, I really like it.

I’m also eyeing the TKA 1/4 zip fleece.
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 05-05-2020 at 11:49.

Also note the fantastic stance TNF takes behind its products. I had a down coat and a minus 20 F bag which I bought in 1982 and used extensively until a couple years ago. I went into a North Face store a few years ago, intending to buy new items because the old ones were really used up: the down did not loft any more, baffles were torn, the fabric was bare. These items had been used for 30 some years! Fortunately, I mentioned that I was replacing some faithful gear to the salesman, and also fortunately, I had some of the items with me since I was using them on this trip. The salesman asked me to bring the stuff in; it had been used for about 5-7 months at that point since the last washing. I was told to just leave the items with the store, that they would send them out for refurbishment, and send them back to me. No worries that the stuff was pretty dirty, and had really been used (quite gently, actually, but very extensively) a lot. I was highly skeptical about what might happen, but I really didn't have much to lose: the stuff was toast.
    A couple weeks later, I received what appeared to be a brand new coat: I think the old one was just too beaten up; my sleeping bag may have had a few parts that were original, but I didn't notice them if it did; it looked basically new as well, (and may have been new). There were no charges for anything; in fact, North Face asked if I had other items of theirs to restore, and I did, so I sent them out. I essentially never return items I buy, and expect to have to replace them periodically. I mentioned this in correspondence with TNF, and was told that they viewed a purchase as lifetime. Just amazing service.
    There are some other companies that really stand by their products, more than I would think necessary; Outdoor Research is another great company, so is ULA. However, TNF is certainly near the top in service for me.
    Renais
    Trail name Catnapper

As a general consumer... if you're spending extra money on things you don't need, you're not saving 50%, you're wasting money. Look at your gear, maybe there's something that might wear out within a year, and it might be nice to have a spare? Otherwise don't get caught up in the marketing % off game.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    As a general consumer... if you're spending extra money on things you don't need, you're not saving 50%, you're wasting money. Look at your gear, maybe there's something that might wear out within a year, and it might be nice to have a spare? Otherwise don't get caught up in the marketing % off game.
    Of course! I may be dumb but I’m not stupid. .

I am a sucker for getting expensive things for dirt cheap though. I currently have two cases of Salsa that I paid $10/case that Publix sells for $4.99/jar. Good thing I eat a lot of salsa.

Ive have had great use from a pair of Hedgehog boots for the past 6 years. THese things are indestructable. they are still in good shape. I use them for walking around the city in all weather. I just bought another pair Im keeping on standby when these finally go to the trails in the sky.

At 50% off, thats a price you just cant beat for a pair of good walking around shoes!

++ New Posts ++