WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Should the ATC confer 2,000 Miler awards in 2020.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

After the whole Scott Jurek donnybrook, the ATC application added “expectations of 2,000-milers that include treating the natural environment, A.T. communities, other hikers, and our agency partners—whose land the A.T. passes through— with kindness, respect, and cooperation”

Given Sandra Marra’s impassioned request that ALL hikers (thru hikers, section hikers, and day hikers alike) stay away from the AT, would not the ATC’s standards prohibit them from confirming the award to any hiker who refuses to respect this request?

The ATC could not have been any more clear: “We cannnot physically bar access to trailheads or connecting trails. We can and do, however, urge everyone to stay away from the Appalachian Trail until further notice”.

Whether one agrees with the ATC or not, I just don’t think there is any way they can possibly award the 2000 Miler Certificate to anyone who has included miles walked during a period they have so forcefully urged hikers not to do so.

Their rules, not mine.

Have to agree with Rickb. The "2000 Miler" award is issued by the ATC and as such, they are the only arbiters of how it is administered. During a National Emergency as we are experiencing and the ATC is requesting people stay away from the AT, temporarily halting the "2000 Miler" award is appropriate and should be expected.

People don't have to agree with this position or can, that is the politics of things like this. Bottom line remains, the decision that no certificates until the ATC formally reopens the trail has been made and should be respected.

You could legally hike the last 5 miles you need to complete your section hike which qualifies you for a certificate. So why shut them out? 2000 milers are not just thru hikers.

When I finally completed the AT as a section hiker, I applied for the award, not because I needed "validation" but just to mark the event, a milestone of sorts. Truth be told, I have no idea where the document is right now, but it was nice to receive it.

Troll was removed, carry on.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    When I finally completed the AT as a section hiker, I applied for the award, not because I needed "validation" but just to mark the event, a milestone of sorts. Truth be told, I have no idea where the document is right now, but it was nice to receive it.
    I never applied for one either despite my late father’s urging that I do so. He ended up sending the ATC a newspaper article in lieu of a trip report they required at the time behind my back.

I appreciate it more because of that.

Why does it say 'you may not vote on this poll' ?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC123 View Post
    Why does it say 'you may not vote on this poll' ?
    I think there is a small post count you need before voting on polls. I was looking for the option in the software but did not find it right away.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

"Have to agree with Rickb. The "2000 Miler" award is issued by the ATC and as such, they are the only arbiters of how it is administered. During a National Emergency as we are experiencing and the ATC is requesting people stay away from the AT, temporarily halting the "2000 Miler" award is appropriate and should be expected."

And the men and woman who decide they are going to carry on with their thru hike, very likely don't care at all about the 2000 miler award.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    If you had to skip GSMNP, SNP, MD and PA because they are "closed", then you haven't achieved 2000 miles, so option #2 wouldn't apply. It certainly couldn't be considered a thruhike. I actually don't mean to be negative, but in light of everything going on this seems too trivial even for entertainment sake, and I'd prefer to see a Who Cares option. (yeah, this has got me down).
    Nothing is too trivial for entertainment purposes.
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    If you had to skip GSMNP, SNP, MD and PA because they are "closed", then you haven't achieved 2000 miles, so option #2 wouldn't apply. It certainly couldn't be considered a thruhike. I actually don't mean to be negative, but in light of everything going on this seems too trivial even for entertainment sake, and I'd prefer to see a Who Cares option. (yeah, this has got me down).

That is really the whole point. If you made a good faith attempt and you missed only the closed parts, you’ve technically followed the rules.

The problem is that unlike a mile or two of fire closure or a half mile closed bridge shuttled around you are talking a huge amount of the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    That is really the whole point. If you made a good faith attempt and you missed only the closed parts, you’ve technically followed the rules.

The problem is that unlike a mile or two of fire closure or a half mile closed bridge shuttled around you are talking a huge amount of the trail.
    I have 167 miles left to complete the AT. So does that mean if the 115 miles in ME open as they appear they are for July, but the 52 in NH do not, I would be done?

While I really want to complete all 2,193 miles, it appears based upon this logic I would have a completion with only 2,141.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I have 167 miles left to complete the AT. So does that mean if the 115 miles in ME open as they appear they are for July, but the 52 in NH do not, I would be done? While I really want to complete all 2,193 miles, it appears based upon this logic I would have a completion with only 2,141.
    No, I don't think so. As a section hiker, a closed section does not affect you in the same way as a thru hiker. For a thru hiker, to carry on requires going around, which can be an adventure in of it's self.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    No, I don't think so. As a section hiker, a closed section does not affect you in the same way as a thru hiker. For a thru hiker, to carry on requires going around, which can be an adventure in of it's self.
    Which is what I would personally agree it with too.
    But based on the logic of the survey and some of the comments a thru-hiker could miss significant sections of the AT due to closures.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

I hiked the AT, every inch. I don't need a certificate to prove it.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    do away with the certificates
    ...and polls.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    ...and polls.
    Yes to both. Polls seem to be quite divisive here.
    Also, I think it would be more fun and far more entertaining to make your own certificate commemorating whatever your backpacking achievement was this year.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Majortrauma View Post
    Yes to both. Polls seem to be quite divisive here.
    Also, I think it would be more fun and far more entertaining to make your own certificate commemorating whatever your backpacking achievement was this year.
    I bought a silver AT necklace, very simple, the standard AT logo, I haven't taken it off since I hiked the trail in 2015. I get some many comments and compliments about it! And is basically my first ever piece of jewelry except wedding ring.

Some like their certificates, I know lots of folks that do, that's cool.

And yeah, polls are divisive, but still, entertaining to see all the blathering about the wildly varying answers!

My take on this poll: The ATC is 100% in charge on whether they should issue the little slips of paper for 2020, I have no opinion on it being right or wrong.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    You could legally hike the last 5 miles you need to complete your section hike which qualifies you for a certificate. So why shut them out? 2000 milers are not just thru hikers.
    Who is suggesting just shutting section hikers out? It appears that many are saying it appears reasonable to shut both out seems reasonable if it is during the ATC's suggestion to stay off the trail. If ATC lifts that request both can complete their hike. Also few sections are actually legally closed as ATC does not have that authority.

Journal Entries
    Images

I just clicked on the link to hat KnightErrant included in his post.

Seems the ATC published their decision some days prior to this poll.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++