WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Should the ATC confer 2,000 Miler awards in 2020.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default 2000 Miler Award for 2020

This poll asks whether or not the ATC should confer any of their 2,000 Miler awards this year.

Journal Entries
    Images

To be complete, this poll needs an unconditional yes option.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    To be complete, this poll needs an unconditional yes option.
    That would be your second option.

do away with the certificates

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    why do away with it?

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    ...and polls.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    ...and polls.
    Yes to both. Polls seem to be quite divisive here.
    Also, I think it would be more fun and far more entertaining to make your own certificate commemorating whatever your backpacking achievement was this year.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Majortrauma View Post
    Yes to both. Polls seem to be quite divisive here.
    Also, I think it would be more fun and far more entertaining to make your own certificate commemorating whatever your backpacking achievement was this year.
    I bought a silver AT necklace, very simple, the standard AT logo, I haven't taken it off since I hiked the trail in 2015. I get some many comments and compliments about it! And is basically my first ever piece of jewelry except wedding ring.

Some like their certificates, I know lots of folks that do, that's cool.

And yeah, polls are divisive, but still, entertaining to see all the blathering about the wildly varying answers!

My take on this poll: The ATC is 100% in charge on whether they should issue the little slips of paper for 2020, I have no opinion on it being right or wrong.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you had to skip GSMNP, SNP, MD and PA because they are "closed", then you haven't achieved 2000 miles, so option #2 wouldn't apply. It certainly couldn't be considered a thruhike. I actually don't mean to be negative, but in light of everything going on this seems too trivial even for entertainment sake, and I'd prefer to see a Who Cares option. (yeah, this has got me down).
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries

My Take: ATC has requested the AT be closed, travel during these times should not count towards the 2000 miler award. Thru's and sections are still possible if completed outside of those closure times.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    If you had to skip GSMNP, SNP, MD and PA because they are "closed", then you haven't achieved 2000 miles, so option #2 wouldn't apply. It certainly couldn't be considered a thru hike. I actually don't mean to be negative, but in light of everything going on this seems too trivial even for entertainment sake, and I'd prefer to see a Who Cares option. (yeah, this has got me down).
    During the wildfires SoBo's were awarded the 2000 miler certificate finishing at Hot Springs, which I believe made their thru less than 2000 miles.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    My Take: ATC has requested the AT be closed, travel during these times should not count towards the 2000 miler award. Thru's and sections are still possible if completed outside of those closure times.
    This is the approach that the organization which recognizes 4,000 footers hikes took, at least until very recently when there was some relaxation of recommendations.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

If you had to skip GSMNP, SNP, MD and PA because they are "closed", then you haven't achieved 2000 miles, so option #2 wouldn't apply. It certainly couldn't be considered a thruhike. I actually don't mean to be negative, but in light of everything going on this seems too trivial even for entertainment sake, and I'd prefer to see a Who Cares option. (yeah, this has got me down).
    Nothing is too trivial for entertainment purposes.
    Be Prepared

That is really the whole point. If you made a good faith attempt and you missed only the closed parts, you’ve technically followed the rules.

The problem is that unlike a mile or two of fire closure or a half mile closed bridge shuttled around you are talking a huge amount of the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    That is really the whole point. If you made a good faith attempt and you missed only the closed parts, you’ve technically followed the rules.

The problem is that unlike a mile or two of fire closure or a half mile closed bridge shuttled around you are talking a huge amount of the trail.
    I have 167 miles left to complete the AT. So does that mean if the 115 miles in ME open as they appear they are for July, but the 52 in NH do not, I would be done?

While I really want to complete all 2,193 miles, it appears based upon this logic I would have a completion with only 2,141.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I have 167 miles left to complete the AT. So does that mean if the 115 miles in ME open as they appear they are for July, but the 52 in NH do not, I would be done? While I really want to complete all 2,193 miles, it appears based upon this logic I would have a completion with only 2,141.
    No, I don't think so. As a section hiker, a closed section does not affect you in the same way as a thru hiker. For a thru hiker, to carry on requires going around, which can be an adventure in of it's self.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    No, I don't think so. As a section hiker, a closed section does not affect you in the same way as a thru hiker. For a thru hiker, to carry on requires going around, which can be an adventure in of it's self.
    Which is what I would personally agree it with too.
    But based on the logic of the survey and some of the comments a thru-hiker could miss significant sections of the AT due to closures.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Not many respondents to the poll yet, but I find the percentage of those who did respond voting for doing away with the award interesting. Just curious. Why do away with the award? I was sort of looking to add my name to the list whenever I get a chance to finish up my last couple of hundred miles.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    Not many respondents to the poll yet, but I find the percentage of those who did respond voting for doing away with the award interesting. Just curious. Why do away with the award? I was sort of looking to add my name to the list whenever I get a chance to finish up my last couple of hundred miles.
    My thoughts too. Why do away with it? It's a great conversational piece/ice breaker in the office. I worked for every mile of it, why not be proud to show it off a little bit?
    - Trail name: Thumper

I have not thru hiked the Appalachian Trail yet, and won’t respond to this survey. But don’t think I would need a piece of paper to show off. My hike would just be leaking from me in a way paper could never drip.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Why do away with the certificates? If you thru and don't want one then don't apply. Nobody is making you accept a certificate or put your name on a list.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++