WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Something different.

As I sit here virtual hiking the AT on numerous Youtube channels the last few days (Ok, It's been a LOT longer than that)...
    A few years ago I started a simple excel sheet and came up with a bunch of basic stats for all of my AT adventures. My total miles add up to 3323.4 miles on the AT.
    How many total miles have you hiked, specifically the AT? If you care to share total miles hiked on all trails, that's pretty cool too if you know!
    Just wondering.... no scientific process, school, or news reports due here.... just simply wondering. A best guess is good too if you don't know exact.
    - Trail name: Thumper

16,000 +/- miles mostly on AT

Journal Entries
    Images

Cool Since you asked

I've walked 1575.6 miles OF the AT. In other words, I've gone past every blaze between Standing Bear Hostel to Mount Lafayette*. For a few of these miles, I've hiked on them more than once. I actually have no idea how many total miles ON the AT I've done.
    Since I started hiking when I was eight years old in 1962, it's impossible for me to even guess how many miles I've hiked on all trails over the decades.

* If you're pedantic and calculate the miles between these two points, you'll notice I'm short a few miles. I just have a few spots I've haven't walked yet, but I'll get to them.

2025 of the AT, but a few miles more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    2025 of the AT, but a few miles more than once.
    That's ok. Just looking for rough "guesstimate" of miles walked on the AT. Even if you've walked the same 20 miles over a over again, it all adds up.
    - Trail name: Thumper

I'm a light weight. 6,000+ on the AT, 1,000+ other trails.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I'm a light weight. 6,000+ on the AT, 1,000+ other trails.
    About 6k on AT here as well (2 thrus + 3 summer LASHes)

Journal Entries

Around 2060 on the AT, will finish this year. A few hundred elsewhere.

Total hiking miles just over 11,000 with approximately 4,000 miles on the AT over the years. I started keeping a hiking history journal (turned spreadsheet) some years ago and over the years developed a bunch of statistics that document various things, and includes miles, vertical gain, time durations, average walking MPH, weather, camping nights, food trials, foot gear mileage (handy for determining replacement cycles), miles walked in snowshoes and micro spikes, and health issues (injury recovery). It can be interesting to look back on this data given the span of years.

Springer to Andover, Maine 1,925 miles from 2016 to 2019. I haven't missed anything in between those two points but I did do about 4 miles of the Wildcat range in the Whites twice. I was hoping to finish this year, but it doesn't look like that will happen with Maine's travel restrictions through the summer.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Images

Alas, only about 3300 AT miles, my own complete and about half repeated with wife.

But I've averaged about 1000 documented hiking (backpacking, climbing and day hiking) miles a year for the last 20 years, didn't keep records before that, but started backpacking at 11 (Boy Scouts), not sure of a grand total.

Journal Entries

2028 miles...every white blaze from Springer Mt. to Crawford Notch, N.H. New Jersey, New York, and Connecticut twice...hope to hike Crawford Notch to Katahdin in a couple of years, '23 or '24...

++ New Posts ++