WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up Fox creek, to Damascus,,,,, may 20th

Looking to hopefully jump on the trail may 20th at fox creek, then spend a couple of days hiking to Damascus with a couple of first responders......

It has been a stressful 30 days, and really hoping we can pull this off.

We have a place to stay in Damascus.

What are your thoughts about the hike? Also getting off the AT into Damascus.

Hope each of you are well and safe.

free shuttle if you want one. PM me

First, thank you for your service. Sounds like a lovely way to blow off some steam. You will not find a fair answer to your question of “what are your thoughts” on this website during this bobo called a pandemic. Seeing as this is post #1 for you I am guessing you already knew that. And of course LW responded first, am I right?! Don’t ask us, if you have to ask you’ll never know

Just as information, the ATC has made several announcements regarding trail use in light of the National Emergency, starting with closing shelters and privies along the trail, and culminating in a broad request, stating "We cannot physically bar access to trailheads or connecting trails. We can and do, however, urge everyone to stay away from the Appalachian Trail until further notice".

That is a pretty clear request from the ATC. It's up to you which side of that request you choose to fall on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroyxl View Post
    Looking to hopefully jump on the trail may 20th at fox creek, then spend a couple of days hiking to Damascus with a couple of first responders......

It has been a stressful 30 days, and really hoping we can pull this off.

We have a place to stay in Damascus.

What are your thoughts about the hike? Also getting off the AT into Damascus.

Hope each of you are well and safe.
    It may still be a bit early to be on the trail heading into a town. Thinking of others.
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

The Grayson Highlands is a popular place, but with a mid week start and most responsible people staying home, it might not be too bad. It's also a state park, so there might be additional restrictions imposed by the state.

Lets see, about a 6 hour drive from Adams, TN (looks like a nice little town) to Damascus. Looks like a lot of National Forest much closer to you. Why not explore some local trails?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Occasionally lucid

Of states with an announced end date for stay-at-home orders, VA's is the furthest at June 10. Gov. Northam has announced a phase 1 opening for VA for May 15. This would include state parks on a phased basis .

Fairfax County accounts for 25 percent of cases in VA. By comparison, Grayson County has reported 12 cases, 1 hospitalization and 0 deaths. Statewide emergency indeed.
    GA -> ME
    '86 -> '89

Images

I kinda thought the Covid-ethics rants had stopped, I suppose not. Same folks, on and on, trying to get everyone to think like they do.

Anyway, great little section, I've done it now 3 times and I live 1500 miles away. Hope it works out for you! Sounds like yo have a ride. If it's legal, do it, shelters not needed.

Wonderful section to do, with a lot to offer from Fox Creek, thru the Highlands, and Whitetop Mt on down into Damascus.
    Hope yall have great weather for it, and enjoy your hike - it's a good'un.

willin'

You're traveling from a county with 220 Covid cases, which is adjacent to a county with 620 cases and another with 3300 cases to a destination which, as of now, only has 56 cases. Why? There's plenty here in TN. How about Big South Fork, they just re-opened back country.

I think its a great idea to get into open air and sunshine with much fewer people than at your local Wal-mart or grocery store. I think (and I am allowed to do that still) is if you spend very little time in the general public in Damascus and majority of your time in the woods, you will be perfectly fine. Take any face mask precautions you think (or others think) you might need while your in town and enjoy the trail, you'll be safer there anyway.

Reasonable response. Thank you. We have plenty of masks! We could probably supply Damascus!

we plan on being very covert. Coming in late on the 20th, and going straight to our accommodations. I really wanted the group to pump some money into Damascus but simply afraid of the consequences.

My real concern is coming off the trail. Can I get off the AT, and into Damascus? Is the creeper trail the only path?

I am grateful for the responses

Trailhead and access points for the AT are temporarily closed on the George Washington and Jefferson National Forest. While not technically closed, I am not sure how you might get on the trail without going through an access point.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/gwj/a...ces/?aid=57425

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/gwj/recreation

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/gwj/alerts-notices
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Thank for the insight, the link was broken, but I narrowed in on the information you ment to send. Appreciative!

Hiked big south fork last fall. Vast, and very isolated, nevertheless we enjoyed the trip. Jamestown, and Oneida are a must see. Thanks for the stats, we are also watching the numbers closely. Again, I feel very isolated in the section we chose and hopefully we experience what the AT has to offer.

BTW: hiked with a trail money some time ago, along the Franklin, NC section. A real bad ass that loved wild life and always on time. Same trail money?

Hiked big south fork last fall. Vast, and very isolated, nevertheless we enjoyed the trip. Jamestown, and Oneida are a must see. Thanks for the stats, we are also watching the numbers closely. Again, I feel very isolated in the section we chose and hopefully we experience what the AT has to offer.
    I reposted the links although there is something on that website mentioning portlet issues, that may be why it wasn't working.

Pretty iffy for ten days out, do you have an alternative for outside the NF?
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Alternative suggestion with a similar driving distance...

Hike the Foothills Trail from Sloan Bridge to Oconee State Park. Only a few access points remain closed in that area so it’s less problematic.

BTW: hiked with a trail money some time ago, along the Franklin, NC section. A real bad ass that loved wild life and always on time. Same trail money?
    You know there is only one Trail Money

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++